Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo cuts out while running

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM
art0504
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Turbo cuts out while running

Hi,

If this question has been asked, please point me to the right thread and accept my apologies for posting needlessly. I have what may be a tough question and want to see if anyone has ran into this.

The car is an '89 944 Turbo. I've had this car for almost 16 years and its got about 67k miles. (bought it w/39k miles)

So, I'm driving along and suddenly the engine stops running. So, I pull over, wait a minute or 2, and restart. This doesn't happen with any regularity so I can't predict when the car will stop running and leave me stranded. This started happening about 3 years ago. Makes it hard to want to continue owning it.

In 2001 it had the Weltmeister chip set (and waste-gate spacer and fuel enrichment device) installed. Its been a nice upgrade. Also, about 10 or 11 years ago I swapped out the stock air filter for a K&N foam element (didn't have to change any other parts).

The last mechanic who had the car for service noticed the problem and replaced the boost timing valve - I think the mechanics refer to it as the 'birthday cake' due to its shape. (a plastic cylindrical shaped part with 4 or 5 hoses attached - mounts beneath the intake manifold; last used by Porsche on the mid '90s 993 models)

Anyway - does anyone have any idea what's wrong with this car?

thanks,

Art
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it just stops running it could be a few things...

first thing i would check is the AFM- they have a tendency to get dirt in them making the sweeper door stick . I usually take some wd40 and spray lightly along the bottom of the flapper door nearest the hinge and work the door back and fourth a few times.

it could also have an issue with the reference sensors or possibly the DME relay. I know sometimes the ref sensor will become defective slightly and drop signal when hot....If it does this again try to start it right away and see if you have a tach signal- if not, ref sensor. Also keep a spare DME relay in the car and try that immediately as well to rule it out.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
art0504
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

thanks for the quick reply. I assume by AFM, you're talking about the Air Flow Meter. And I'll try seeing if its binding.

as far as the DME relay, I forgot to mention in my original note: I tried that too.

thanks again,

Art

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo cuts out while running