Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iRoc car stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default iRoc car stereo

I recently installed an iRoc car stereo for my 968 and wanted to share some pictures and my impresssions. I had a JVC with Bluetooth installed (that had replaced my Porsche CR-1), but I wasn't really happy with it. Bluetooth worked ok, but when I wanted to charge the phone I still had to get the USB cable attached. I wanted something cleane and the iRoc looked like it would fit the bill (http://www.iroconline.com/iRoc/index.html). I liked the fact that I can connect my phone without the need for bluetooth and cabling. The iRoc doesn't have AM/FM radio or CD or anyting else, everything it does comes through the iPhone (or iPod). The installation was simple, I just soldered the wiring harness that comes with the iRoc to the one that connects to the car. The apps I use are the music player, the phone and a GPS app, all work great. The only downside is that the way the phone sits on the iRoc, the apps need to be able to support the Landscape mode, so I had to switch a few build in apps for ones that support that feature.
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Fintro11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, its too bad they don't have the docking part pull out same with the audio jack part so when nothing is connected the surface looks like one part.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Very interesting...I don't know if I would like having the maps that low in the car, but for all other purposes it is nice. Does it mute the music and play through the stereo when you get a call, and just uses the phone mic for when you start talking?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems kinda expensive for a system that requires a phone attached to it.

What happens if anyone else drives the car that does not have an iPhone loaded with all the apps?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cole

What happens if anyone else drives the car that does not have an iPhone loaded with all the apps?
That's easy. I don't let anyone else drive my car...
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Originally Posted by flat12boxer
Very interesting...I don't know if I would like having the maps that low in the car, but for all other purposes it is nice. Does it mute the music and play through the stereo when you get a call, and just uses the phone mic for when you start talking?
It behaves exactly like the phone does when it's not in the iRoc, if a call comes in the music fades out. The call comes through the car speakers and I believe the iRoc has a build-in Microphone, but I'm not sure. It may be the phone's mic.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

does it support an ipod touch? i have one of these that was gifted to me and has gone largely unused. this would have been a perfect way to use it and get music in my daily driver.

i already bought a toronto 410bt (cd/cd card/bluetooth) so i dont need one anymore...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
does it support an ipod touch? i have one of these that was gifted to me and has gone largely unused. this would have been a perfect way to use it and get music in my daily driver.

i already bought a toronto 410bt (cd/cd card/bluetooth) so i dont need one anymore...
I believe that iPods work, but I don't know. I'll check in a few days, my kids have an older iPod Touch that I can try.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fintro11
Looks good, its too bad they don't have the docking part pull out same with the audio jack part so when nothing is connected the surface looks like one part.
x2 I'd actually prefer a dock that sat in a different location or was cabled as all I listen to in either of my cars is my iPod Classic.

Looks sweet though, maybe if I switch from Droid to iPhone with my next contract...
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rhs63
That's easy. I don't let anyone else drive my car...

Not much of a solution for most people.

Kinda a neat idea. But it would be a paint to have to hook it up every time you get in the car for every little drive jut to listen to something.

What happens when Apple changes it's plug or size? Seems like it could be a short lived stereo system.

Both of my older Porsches have nice, but older, stereos in them. Not worth upgrading at the moment. Seems like something like this would have to be changed if the iPod tech changes.

Still kind cool.....no if it would work with an iPad!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Kein Wasser
4th Gear

is your CR-1 for sale by chance? Thx Paul
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 AM
rhs63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kein Wasser
is your CR-1 for sale by chance? Thx Paul
Afraid not. I keep everything that I changed out for new stuff, just in case I want to return it back to bone stock (or if I sell it the new owner may want to...not that I'm thinking of selling it, though...).

Quick Reply: iRoc car stereo