Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic- Switiching from Felxplate to Clutch Style Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Is this flex damper and a typical torque convertor one and the same? If the clutch disc is never disengaged after installation, what prevents the engine from stalling while stopped, in gear?
The flex damper / clutch set up is at the front end, there is a metal "flex plate" at the rear that bolts to a typical auto trans torque converter.

For those with A/T cars, I would suggest that when you pull everything apart to do this job you should also check the flex plat at the rear of the torque tube, when I did my changeover my torque converter flex plate had a crack that went two thirds they way around.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:09 PM
laur4
1st Gear

I replaced the flexplate with M/T clutch but after that there is some strange tinkeling noise from bellhousing. It comes only when engine is idlening. When rpm-s are higher, its quiet. I changed the clutch disc and torque tube again but the tinkeling noise remained.

Both clutch discs had rubber parts broken and they were welded tight. So there isn't dampening function any more. I used both discs in M/T cars before and they were fine there. Unfortunatelly I don't have any unbroken rubber disc for testing.

Can this welded disc cause the tinkeling noise? I have double checked everything and have run out of ideas for now while all seemes to be OK.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:02 PM
wheelmotive
AutoX

Laur4....did you ever find the source of your noise?

Quick Reply: Automatic- Switiching from Felxplate to Clutch Style Setup?