Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic- Switiching from Felxplate to Clutch Style Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey flash, take pics and video of what you're doing for the rest of us automatic guys!

It would be super appreciated and a cool resource for those of us that will probably be doing it someday.

And, yes...having a stick is total fun and all that jazz. Traffic kills the fun though. I could care less about some friends that give me crap about an automatic Porsche. It's still fun, it still is fast, it still hauls around the curves, etc etc. I'd say about 40% of the time I'm rotting in traffic. So, it's nice to not have to push in the clutch over and over again.

It's only when I'm in the back roads, or on the way to the "grandma's house", that I truly miss having the 5 speed.

I'd kill for a pdk
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
flashx
Intermediate

OK I will take pictures as I go Im still getting parts together. I think Im down to finding a NA ring gear, pressure plate bolts, rear main seal and pilot bearing.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 AM
River
Racer

The bumpty dance is a dance we all can do. Bump!

Just curious as to what's transpired...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 AM
dp951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its just like doing a clutch job on a stick 944 , you use the flywheel and clutch assembly and pilot bearing install the same way you would a clutch job on a 5 speeed 944 . no need for the throw bearing .

No more rubber to break... no issues with noise or drive line shock.

I have a 1987 na that i did this years ago with no problems

( I installed the throw out bearing and fork so latter i could turn it into stick if we desired).
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 AM
River
Racer

I have thought about converting over, I wonder if it would take away from the "OEM" of the car because of how rare it is. Most of the older guys tell me, "Don't mess with the car, keep it as close to oem as possible".

One Porsche guy (and I too), assume that it's prolly one of the only automatic special editions, lol! Talk about spendy options back then! LOL!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 AM
flashx
Intermediate

Ive got my automatic together and it works great. I used a rubber center clutch disc that I found on Ebay used for $100 and the pressure plate and flywheel for $50 each. Its just like putting a clutch in except for a few things. The bellhousing is the same as a stick shift except the machine work for the throwout bearing fork isnt completed. So if you plan on making it a stick later you will need to change the bell also. unlike a stick shift I didnt have to unhook the shifter inside the car. Just unbolt the lincage that holds the shift cable on the drivers side of the trans. More to follow. I have some pics and may need help posting them. Any questions?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM
River
Racer

I would do a nice write up on it, there are more than a few of us that are considering this, and pics along the way would be fantastic.

When it shifts, what does it feel like? (the shifts normal are quite smooth.) I personally wouldn't care much as long as it didn't fly water out of a cup (I don't really eat or drink in the car if I can help it anyway, lol!). If I could get rid of that rubber and have a solid setup, it would be great! and on the cheap too, can't complain!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM
flashx
Intermediate

While doing this I also put in a new pilot bearing and a new rear mains seal so as not to have leaks later. I used the original auto ring gear It is slightly different than the stick ring gear. There are three rivets that stick up on the rear facing portion of the pressure plate. On the stick ring gear it has three clearance mill spots so the ring will fully seat. I milled those three spot on the auto ring gear.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 PM
gpcdist
1st Gear

Default flex damper

where do I find the parts to convert Automatic- Switiching from Felxplate to Clutch Style Setup?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Contact Ian at 944online.com, he will tell you exactly what you need and usually has the parts in stock, up to you who you purchase from. Once I figured out what I needed I sourced my parts from the "parts for sale" from the various 944 forums.

Good luck - I replaced my damper disk with a clutch setup and have no problems at all. If you want my damper disk (has some cracking) I will be more than happy to sell it to you for a good price - want to get it out of my garage.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you just need the 944 starter ring and your good to go. One question thou. Is the driveshaft the same from an automatic to a manual? I only ask because you may not be using a pilot bearing if the driveshaft doesn't have the tip for it. My parts book from Porsche lists everything but the torque tube holding the driveshaft. Weird.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per the PET, the torque tube is a different part number for automatics. The PN for autos 944 421 107 03 and the manual is 944 421 012 02.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe the main difference between the torque tubes is the mounting for the in-cabin shifter. You could probably switch between them with based hand tools and a tap and die set.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The auto hand shifter mounts to the body not the torque tube. I think the difference is the driveshaft doesn't have the end that goes into the pilot bearing. And it may not have the two holes for the manual shifter. Not like the pilot bearing end is needed as the clutch will never be disengaged once intastalled. Just align the disc as center as possible.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:32 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this flex damper and a typical torque convertor one and the same? If the clutch disc is never disengaged after installation, what prevents the engine from stalling while stopped, in gear?

Quick Reply: Automatic- Switiching from Felxplate to Clutch Style Setup?