Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a "work-needed" 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

There are a lot of good posts here but I think they are all being too conservative. So let me put it another way. If you get the car FOR FREE it may cost you more to fix it then to buy something that actually runs. Just say no to a cheap car and wait until you can afford it unless you want the whole "it's not the road it's the journey" type of experience. For reference go read "The Gold Plated Porsche" which I recommend to anyone who loves cars and working on cars.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
There are a lot of good posts here but I think they are all being too conservative. So let me put it another way. If you get the car FOR FREE it may cost you more to fix it then to buy something that actually runs. Just say no to a cheap car and wait until you can afford it unless you want the whole "it's not the road it's the journey" type of experience. For reference go read "The Gold Plated Porsche" which I recommend to anyone who loves cars and working on cars.
I highlighted the key word there. You also have to consider the end result. Often the end result is a much better, newer, faster car than the one you can buy that is in stock running condition. Not always, but often.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but here is an example.

I picked this 951 up years ago for $1,500 (back when the prices for good ones were pretty high) The goal was an LS powered track rat so I planned on tossing out 90% of the stuff that would have put a premium on the price.

Here is the short list of what was wrong with the car.

-broken timing belt due to seized water pump, bent valve, bad clutch, bad torque tube, trashed interior, bad ball joints, bad paint, etc.

Once I dove into the car I realize there was about $4k of performance parts buried in it that the PO did not know about. So I figured I would put it back together and see how it ran.

It ran like a raped ape, so I figured I would make it a track rat as is and wait for the motor to blow. Thing was so fun to drive that we made it into a street car so we did not have to wait for track time to use it.

Things I upgraded that I would have anyway, lower ball joints, HT Starter, rebuilt TT,plugs, wires, hoses, 1 valve from a use head, Cup clutch was already in it so I just fixed the pp with a KEP one, cleaned up the interior and had some cheap paint tossed on it. It was so much fun to drive that I made it a street car too.

This is what the car looks like today for a total investments of about $4500
Not a concourse restoration by any means, but to take what most would consider a parts car and made it a nicer car than many have for less money because I started with a cheaper starting starting point!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a repaint done Cole, or just buff the hell out of it?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
Did you have a repaint done Cole, or just buff the hell out of it?
I had a very cheap repaint done since I planed to track the car. Basically an out of work painter that did the work for a song.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

^^^
Originally Posted by Cole
and had some cheap paint tossed on it.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Cole
Drifting

While I would love to see all these cars given a proper $10,000 repaint. Th simple fact is my cheap paint looks better from 10 feet away than many of the cars people paid a premium for that have worn our original paint.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cole, what seats were those in the car when you got it?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Cole
Drifting

They were some 90s Nissan Z 10 way powers. Probably the heaviest seat I have ever picked up. Totally trashed, looked like mice had lived in them.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I'd disagree a bit. Too many times people pay a premium for a car that has old worn out parts in it.

There can be a very pleasant happy middle ground to your two options.

For example. I found a car that had a bad clutch(among other things) so the car was purchased at a deep discount. This allowed me to spend the differnce on a performances clutch I would have bought anyway.

So instead of paying a premium for things like "okay" paint, you save money on the initial purchase and get to repaint it better anyway.

I think a lot of owners paid a premium for old, high mileage cars expecting them to be problem free. Then think they are money pits when they have to replace old parts.
+1
Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Buy it... Buy it... Buy it...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Tabbasco
Instructor

Buy it cheap, Put in an LS3...then you will be very happy...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
67King
Race Car

I'd disagree a bit. Too many times people pay a premium for a car that has old worn out parts in it.

There can be a very pleasant happy middle ground to your two options.

For example. I found a car that had a bad clutch(among other things) so the car was purchased at a deep discount. This allowed me to spend the differnce on a performances clutch I would have bought anyway.

So instead of paying a premium for things like "okay" paint, you save money on the initial purchase and get to repaint it better anyway.

I think a lot of owners paid a premium for old, high mileage cars expecting them to be problem free. Then think they are money pits when they have to replace old parts.
I hear you and undedstand. But based on what I have read, I would go in assuming it needs at the very least a new headgasket, possibly more. It needs new rubber basically everywhere - coolant, brake, clutch, and fuel hoses.

So basically it probabky has a good transaxle.

My car needed paint. Do a search for "farewell project 951" and you will see. I have not replaced my torque tube bearings; otherwise it has all been done.

Anyway there are exceptions but I don't think this is one. And based off of the comments, he will have the work done. Those situatiobs all add up to a potential financial disaster. If it were not (presumably) his first one of these, that would make sense. But given what we know and what I assume based on comments, this is not a good match.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

If you have patience and wait for someone who just got married, is a getting a divorce, just had a baby, has no time, etc. you can pick up a car for a great price. Living in the Northeast I started looking for a track car at the start of fall. By November I found someone who had given up until the spring and was happy to entertain my offer. Patience will get you a good deal without all the elbow grease and worry about what you are actually buying.

That being said I have bought tons of cars to restore that were total rusted out bombs. But I was under no illusion as to what I was buying. You just have to be reasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM
jsmith831
Intermediate

great advice people, thank you

Quick Reply: Buying a "work-needed" 951