Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni sport shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Koni sport shocks question

I have a new to me '90 S2 with tired shocks. They appear to be the base, Sachs (?) shocks. AFAIK, the front springs and both sways are also stock.

In looking at the Koni webpage, I see they are running a special on the sport shocks, front and rear. I would have to modify the front struts with an insert to use them.

My primary question is would installing the sport shocks, while keeping the stock springs and sway bars, hurt the handling?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd have to modify the Front Struts to accept the new Koni Inserts; not very hard to do, just requires a Measuring Tape, Drill, and Hacksaw.... Lots of people have done this successful, and love the results (including me)

Stock Springs and Sways will work just fine.

My car is an 87' 944na, however i believe the S2 is a similar setup and same modification is required... But maybe someone can verify this.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, but here is were it starts. After you do this you will want to upgrade the swaybars to 968 M030's. It should be fine with just the Koni's, but when you are there you should like at the caster blocks. I ran 17's last summer and started to rip one so I installed the 968 caster blocks when I did my struts. They have less rubber so they don't move as much and makes the car more stable. I Also did the coilover kit from Paragon with 200lbs springs lowered the front by 1/2 inch. the back is lowered 3/4 inch. The car fells great so Now I'm upgrading to M030 swaybars I just received them.

You don't need the 200lbs springs or to lower it but it looks and drives so much better. I keep my S2 stock for years but since I installed the 968 motor in it why not.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnbell
You'd have to modify the Front Struts to accept the new Koni Inserts; not very hard to do, just requires a Measuring Tape, Drill, and Hacksaw.... Lots of people have done this successful, and love the results (including me)

Stock Springs and Sways will work just fine.

My car is an 87' 944na, however i believe the S2 is a similar setup and same modification is required... But maybe someone can verify this.
+1 - o.k. with stock springs/SB/TB; same procedure for my 968. Hardest part might be prepping/repainting strut housing if so inclined.

Cheers,
'94 968 - Aventurine Green
Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Oh you just have to paint them Koni yellow.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I have a 91 cab that I did the hack job on. In advance of the job I had planned to upgrade the front springs which I did 200#. Nothing too hard about the job.

I would recommend if you are going through with it that you consider getting a pair of used 951 housings and springs and doing the modifications on those. If you stick with the S2 housings and then later decide to upgrade the springs you will be more limited in your choices since the S2 ran the conical springs like the 968.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks!

I'm giving serious consideration to turning this into a beginner track car, with minimal suspension work at first until I learn how to drive it better. I've been on track (with this car) once, and it leans a LOT and then takes time to settle. The shocks need to be replaced so I will do this and perhaps add M030 sways too.

Beyond that I'm likely planning seats, harness, roll/harness bar, etc. for safety reasons. If I get to the point I can halfway drive the thing, then I'll look at more serious suspension work like coilovers, springs, camber plates, and more.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM
mopar bob
Pro

That would be good but I would also do the caster blocks now. They are very easy to change when there are there. The factory replaced the 944 caster blocks with the 968 They keep the a arm in place and since they still rubber the ride is still OK.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar bob
That would be good but I would also do the caster blocks now. They are very easy to change when there are there. The factory replaced the 944 caster blocks with the 968 They keep the a arm in place and since they still rubber the ride is still OK.
Good advice, if this hasn't been done. You can easily do it yourself, just don't over-torque the bolts that hold the blocks to the undercarriage (they just go into sheet metal, and I believe the spec is around 30 lbs-ft).

I know a Rennlist member also has a slightly used set of Konis (front and rear, I think) for sale in a thread on the turbo forum. No affiliation, but might be worth a look. Edit: here's the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...lmost-new.html
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Give Jason at Paragon a call. He should be able to tell you everying you need to know, and he's got very good combo pricing on Koni sets - including sale prices on non-race Koni's.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 AM
River
Racer

+1 Paragon or 944online.

You can do it yourself cheaper of course. It's really not that bad.

tells you how:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...conversion.htm
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Good advice, if this hasn't been done. You can easily do it yourself, just don't over-torque the bolts that hold the blocks to the undercarriage (they just go into sheet metal, and I believe the spec is around 30 lbs-ft).

I know a Rennlist member also has a slightly used set of Konis (front and rear, I think) for sale in a thread on the turbo forum. No affiliation, but might be worth a look. Edit: here's the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...lmost-new.html
Thanks for the link!

This may well be worth looking into. I bit more than I had hoped to spend (so what's new?), but a good deal for sure.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
River
Racer

speedy, if you do a group by through shox.com it's even cheaper. send me a pm and I'll send you my contact info.

Nice people too, very helpful.

That's one thing I love about our cars. So many people know em'. Kinda makes it hard to choose who gets the business sometimes :/
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by River
That's one thing I love about our cars. So many people know em'. Kinda makes it hard to choose who gets the business sometimes :/
Ya' gotta like that! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your going to do the coilover mod, i would just do it now, along with the castor blocks as Bob suggested. Along with a can or 2 of School bus yellow spray paint so you can make the housings pretty.

Quick Reply: Koni sport shocks question