Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled 1987 944 Turbo For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashgan
I don't really want to part it out myself. I am looking to move the car as soon as possible to someone who wants to do that themselves or needs the parts.
You could always throw it up on craigslist or ebay and see what happens. You never know, some racer may want the engine or someone else with a turbo who just wants a parts car.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
River
Racer

All you need is the vin#, don't waste the time to drive down for the sticker, lol!

If you want, send me the vin and I'll have the options sent to ya.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

In NC it does not matter whether insurance owns it or not. The fact is that it was a total loss, there a salvage title is awarded to it. It may not show on your end, but that does not matter. Your insurance company probably sent your dmv an owner retain salvage form on it and it will be branded.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashgan
I don't really want to part it out myself. I am looking to move the car as soon as possible to someone who wants to do that themselves or needs the parts.
GLWS...

Originally Posted by River
All you need is the vin#, don't waste the time to drive down for the sticker, lol!

If you want, send me the vin and I'll have the options sent to ya.
River, you KNOW you can PM me here too, right?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
River
Racer

This is true! lol!

Oh, and Auntie rules barter town, LOL!!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

This is true! lol!

Oh, and Auntie rules barter town, LOL!!
Master blaster rules barter town!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
River
Racer

aww, dammit! LOL!

*sniff* Who can tell with that SMELL here in Barter Town!? Gagh!

Ya know...it's funny to think we can reference that flick and half the people won't get it, lol!

Man, I miss my video store...really I do. "No time for love Dr. Jones!"

Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

aww, dammit! LOL!

*sniff* Who can tell with that SMELL here in Barter Town!? Gagh!

Ya know...it's funny to think we can reference that flick and half the people won't get it, lol!

Man, I miss my video store...really I do. "No time for love Dr. Jones!"

"Sorry love, no time for the old in out ive just come to read the metre"

Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
In NC it does not matter whether insurance owns it or not. The fact is that it was a total loss, there a salvage title is awarded to it. It may not show on your end, but that does not matter. Your insurance company probably sent your dmv an owner retain salvage form on it and it will be branded.

...and go register it in about 48 other states and it will clean the title. Colorado for example does not recognize a salvage title beyond 6 years. It just gets a regular title.

I have seen cars get "Salvage titles" for insanely stupid things that make no difference on the structural, mechanical or cosmetic quality of the car.

Stolen cars are great examples of this. I've seen a few where a car was stolen, not abused in anyway and abandoned totally intact in a public parking garage. Sometimes for a year or more until one of the tires goes flat and someone finally notices the car sitting there hasn't moved.

Guess, what? Since the insurance company had paid out and written the car off it gets a salvage title!! Its for these reasons that many people, including myself, put very little stock into salvage titles. They are a product of the state and insurance companies and have little to do with cars.

Hell, most of the used parts we are all using to drive our cars with came out of WRECKED cars! So how is that different than rebuilding part of a car to make it road worthy again? There are so many classics selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars (and up) that were once completely rotted crashed out shells. There was just no fancy computer system like carfax to track all this stuff.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Cole, I can't agree with you more. I see cars get totaled daily that are still great cars and have little to no structural damage and in many cases only minor cosmetic blemishes. This however does not change the fact that it has a branded title and will be worth less to most consumers.

Again, the car listed here does apear to be a great candidate for a rebuild.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Where (L)art tho??
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Cole
Drifting

Here is the problem. You can buy stuff like this for what sounds like a very negotiable price!

Not super clean, but way easier to do one little clean up project at a time for the DIYer and much cheaper.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...86k-miles.html
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ashgan, that sucks man, it looked really nice. I hope everything works out.

Everyone wants to see the option sticker because it will show whether the car has rare and/or valuable parts. In case you were wondering.

Arash
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
...and go register it in about 48 other states and it will clean the title. Colorado for example does not recognize a salvage title beyond 6 years. It just gets a regular title.

I have seen cars get "Salvage titles" for insanely stupid things that make no difference on the structural, mechanical or cosmetic quality of the car.

Stolen cars are great examples of this. I've seen a few where a car was stolen, not abused in anyway and abandoned totally intact in a public parking garage. Sometimes for a year or more until one of the tires goes flat and someone finally notices the car sitting there hasn't moved.

Guess, what? Since the insurance company had paid out and written the car off it gets a salvage title!! Its for these reasons that many people, including myself, put very little stock into salvage titles. They are a product of the state and insurance companies and have little to do with cars.

Hell, most of the used parts we are all using to drive our cars with came out of WRECKED cars! So how is that different than rebuilding part of a car to make it road worthy again? There are so many classics selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars (and up) that were once completely rotted crashed out shells. There was just no fancy computer system like carfax to track all this stuff.
In theory I agree with you, however THIS damage I am almost willing to guarantee extends beyond what is captured in the pictures.. If the trailing arm was hit hard enough to break it, close attention needs to be given to the torsion bar carrier and supporting sheet metal for the torsion bar. aditionally the rear outer fender is toasted, and I am willing to wager again that the inner is as well... thats a LOT more work than just slap on a new fender and call it a day!

Can a repair be made to restore this car to safe and driveable? YES.. would it be reasonable or cost effective to do so.. NO.. if ANY of the supporting structure of the torsion bar carrier is damaged (or even slightly tweaked..) this shell is a complete waste to try to restore when a new shell can be had for under a thousand dollars.

IF the OP had strong emotional ties to this car, it might be worth it to him to try to restore it, but that isn't the case.. but to someone on here looking to score a decent car on the cheap, I have to disagree with the sentiment of restoring this one for use... strip it down, use the good parts in a new chassis, and for a small ammount of money, and a large ammount of effort you can have a complete running 951!

FWIW, me and the boys have stripped a chassis bare in under a day, while pulling the drivetrain as a complete unit (engine to rear wheels all together!). Add another day (or extend the first to a really long day), and a new chassis can be sitting on the drivetrain getting everything hooked up!

I have zero objections to a salvage title, or branded title, or whatever each state wishes to call it... but in this case I believe this chassis to be doomed to the scrap heap.

That having been said, I wish no ill on the OP, but posting the ammount your insurance company paid out, and asking a premium price for the totaled car you are trying to sell... just doesn't really make sense to me, but then I am not currently in teh market for a basket case project.. I already have a couple of those sitting around waiting to be finished!

Ashgan, IMHO if you REALLY want to have it gone quickly.. cut the price you are asking in half (or bellow 2K) and it will be gone before the weekend, if you are firm at 4K I would expect to wait a while!

Also, for refference, here is similar type body damage, with apparently NO impact to the suspension parts.. He is fixing it himself!
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-progress.html

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 03-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Cole
Drifting

I wasn't arguing for the restoration of this car. Just pointing out that the salvage title carries a lot less weight with a classic car than people sometimes try to blow it up to be.

Personally, this car is a wide body conversion candidate if the rest of the car were the right price!