Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c leak into cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c leak into cabin?

My 944 has an a/c leak. I can charge the system and it will be good for the summer. The next summer I will need to recharge it again. Once I charge the system with the a/c on, I have a water condensation coming out of the vents. What components of the A/C are leaking that is likely causing this, or is it normal? Is it hazardous to breath or is it just water condensation (which is what it looks like)?

edit: I forgot to mention, the previous owner converted this to R134a. I'm not sure how this was done, but it has the updated r134a fill port.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally condensation can occure if it is very humid out. a bit is normal and there are no health issues...its just water from the air condensing.

Best to have a shop look into the AC leak issue...or just recharge it
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once R134Aa finds its way out of the pressurized AC system is will be in a gaseous state. The oil, however, will remain liquid and stick to any surfaces it comes in contact to. If its just water you're getting out of the vents, its either water from condensation or water from a leak, finding its way into the vent system.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

most likely the leak is on the side of the compressor one of the two o-ring seals that always leak. The water issue is most likely a blocked condensate drain- the water from the evaporator drips out the bottom of the a/c system and there is a rubber hose from the box to the torque tube tunnel behind the console cubby area. IF that is clogged the water will build up and get sucked into the fans.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Originally Posted by xsboost90
most likely the leak is on the side of the compressor one of the two o-ring seals that always leak. The water issue is most likely a blocked condensate drain- the water from the evaporator drips out the bottom of the a/c system and there is a rubber hose from the box to the torque tube tunnel behind the console cubby area. IF that is clogged the water will build up and get sucked into the fans.
I'm going to bring this back to life.

Dan - I think you are right! I was replacing my timing belt last week and noticed a yellow/green oil dripping from my compressor as I removed that belt. The leak seems rather large. I know that the mechanical aspects of the system function properly. When I charge the A/C, everything works fine. It just loses r134a after a year or less. The compressor doesn't come on until I refill the system.

Do I just need two of these? O-ring

Since I have R134a, all I have to do is push down on both the high and low fill valves until any pressure left is released, disconnect both lines going to the compressor, replace those o-rings, and pray there are no other problems? This seems so easy, and all for $1.50 for two o-rings

Those rings on pelican are by Santec. I believe I have the original Nippon compressor. They'll still be ok, right?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went down the same road with my cab and after a couple tries I went ahead and rebuilt the compressor. I can't remember where I got the kit but it wasn't that expensive. It's a nippondenso 10P15 compressor. They were used on a bunch of cars in the 80's.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Originally Posted by Jrboulder
I went down the same road with my cab and after a couple tries I went ahead and rebuilt the compressor. I can't remember where I got the kit but it wasn't that expensive. It's a nippondenso 10P15 compressor. They were used on a bunch of cars in the 80's.

Something like this?
http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....roducts_id=190

Do you know if there are instructions or an exploded view of the compressor for seal locations?

Quick Reply: a/c leak into cabin?