Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16V Timing Chain/Tensioner Elimination Kit..Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
PorschePower
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16V Timing Chain/Tensioner Elimination Kit..Feeler

I'm developing a alternative cam drive system that will eliminate the timing chain and tensioner from 16V heads and replace it with an external belt drive. It would allow the use of heads that have the tensioner boss broken off, would be more reliable, and easier/less expensive to maintain. I'm expecting the it to cost about $700 to $900 and I a planning to have it ready around August or September. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any interest in it so I can decide if I want to put together more than just a few kits for myself.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 PM
944meister
Pro

these cars should have come from the factory with this setup. are you having special belts made?

Last edited by 944meister; 02-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 AM
john durdin
Advanced

I would like to see what you end up developing. I have not had a problem yet , but it looks like weakness in the factory design , That could use a different approach. John
Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Get your hands on some 928 heads - same overall design (different cam gears).

If your setup does work on the 944S, it could be adaptable to the 928 and you will have a huge market there.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this be similar to the twin pulley setup that David Chen developed back in the late 90's? (two exhaust cams, with dual cam pulleys, that are smaller than stock [to clear the hood] and a matching crank pulley)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would be nice for a head that was wrecked, but there's nothing wrong with a well maintained cam drive setup on the 16v head. For $900 you could replace the chain tensioner twice...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be interested of this kind of setup

( Chris White built engine)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM
PorschePower
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944meister
these cars should have come from the factory with this setup. are you having special belts made?
There are thousands of belts currently in production so the plan is to use a belt from another application to save the cost of having a custom belt made and ensure availability for future maintenance.

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Will this be similar to the twin pulley setup that David Chen developed back in the late 90's? (two exhaust cams, with dual cam pulleys, that are smaller than stock [to clear the hood] and a matching crank pulley)
I am not familiar with that setup, but it is one of the design concepts being considered although I won't be using two exhaust cams.

Originally Posted by Jrboulder
This would be nice for a head that was wrecked, but there's nothing wrong with a well maintained cam drive setup on the 16v head. For $900 you could replace the chain tensioner twice...
My price target is actually lower than I stated. I am trying to be realistic, you can't design a quality system for pennies. It is easier to tell someone that it is going to cost less than they were initally told rather than come back with a higher price. I know people who race thier vehicles and replace their tensioner before every season. Even at $900 it would be more cost effective for them.

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Might be interested of this kind of setup

Thanks for posting this, I will need to research that setup. I am not interested in reinventing the wheel. If someone is already making a viable system, then I can just buy it from them.

Right now I am just focusing on 16V 944 heads. If it works out, I can always look at the 928 heads in the future if there is a need.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrboulder
Personally I don't see this as "fixing" the stock system, but giving us the ability to adjust the cams independently.

It's a bonus eliminating a system that is more prone to failure than a dual gear setup.

Not to mention when the stock system fails, it's a lot more than your head that's subject to destruction.
Less than 100,000 miles no my car when the chain snapped. This was less than 6 months after a dealership "inspected" the system and said all was good (this was 1998 or so).
My head wasn't damaged, my valves were not bent, both camshafts were destroyed - over $1,000 each from Porsche
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman

OK I'll take one of these.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Not sure this system will be more reliable. Here's why-
Say we have 100 S's out there. 9 will grenade from broken timing belts and 1 from tensioner/chain failure in the next 10 years. Best you can do is go from 90% to 91% reliability if your your belt system is no less reliable than what the engineers at Porsche designed.
These numbers are made up to make the point, but you'll need to know them before you will know what you have done to the reliability.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
944meister
Pro

Originally Posted by gtroth
Not sure this system will be more reliable. Here's why-
Say we have 100 S's out there. 9 will grenade from broken timing belts and 1 from tensioner/chain failure in the next 10 years. Best you can do is go from 90% to 91% reliability if your your belt system is no less reliable than what the engineers at Porsche designed.
These numbers are made up to make the point, but you'll need to know them before you will know what you have done to the reliability.
the way i see it is, with this kit you are eliminating one of the two potential causes of failure: 1. timing belt failure 2. tensioner failure (caused by loss of oil pressure by a leak/crack in feedline, or failure of the tensioner itself). now if an existing timing belt application for this kit had a gates kevlar timing belt available, then we could address both issues.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
dykaar
Racer

The sad reality is that the timing chains on my old Mercedes diesel and both the e28 535 and e39 540 will last forever, and the timing belts fail alla time, and you have to replace everything at half the recommended interval. Feh.

Regards,

doug

86 951 (http://www.pcaucr.org/visuals/photos...egory&catid=61)
01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
00 540i-6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=976)
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944meister
the way i see it is, with this kit you are eliminating one of the two potential causes of failure: 1. timing belt failure 2. tensioner failure (caused by loss of oil pressure by a leak/crack in feedline, or failure of the tensioner itself). now if an existing timing belt application for this kit had a gates kevlar timing belt available, then we could address both issues.
Yes, we see it the same. Like most things in Engineering, until you hang numbers on it, you really don't know what you are talking about (to crudely paraphrase a quote by Lord Kelvin).
Might be irrelevant, but I always remember that chains are much more deeply embedded in the Porsche Engineering culture than belts, no doubt about that:

Quick Reply: 16V Timing Chain/Tensioner Elimination Kit..Feeler