Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Cracked My Windshield....Damnit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

jeez ...bad luck ! I'm certainly going to be a bit careful the next time I change my blades
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been lucky - a lot. I am still on the OE windshield but a new seal etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott 951
Go to Safelight........have them install an early "non" antenna windshield......installed it should be less then $300.......if you have AAA I think the discount will net to around $240.

Or you can have the one with the antenna installed for about $800.
Price varies widely depending on your location. The correct Securit windshield installed on my car was around $400.

That being said, I've been through this too many times. I'm on windshield #4. Three of those were the non-antenna windshields. All of the non-antenna windshields were made in China and had varying degrees of distortion in the driver's line of sight. All of them had to have the rearview mirror mount glued on by the installer and they all used generic trim that was too wide. The non-antenna glass is also narrower than the factory glass (which is why it needs wider trim), so all the old urethane needs to be removed down to the pinch weld. If they try to leave the old stuff as a "bed", there will be gaps on either side at the A-pillars.

The antenna version was made by Securit and already had the mirror mount bonded to the glass. It also had the correct trim groove already attached and used the OE style trim. To do a good install, all the old urethane needs to be removed with this windshield as well.

The outcome of any install is really up to the guy who's doing the work. I've had some really ****ty installs, and some really good ones. Personally, I think the only way to ensure a good install is to do some prep prior to them coming out. I remove the header panel, A-pillar trim and the dash when I have a windshield installed. And make sure whoever is doing the install is using hot-set urethane, not cold-set. Hot-set cures faster, is stronger and will last longer.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the non-antenna glass is actually made for a 924, which is why it's narrower. It will fit a 944, but it takes more effort of the installer and because of this, has a greater chance of being done incorrectly. I would suggest calling the local installer prior to them sending a tech out and making sure they send someone who has been doing glass installs for a long time. My guy has been doing it for over 10 years and always schedules me as his last install of the day so he can spend additional time on it. I also tip him well.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

thats a really informative post Curt thanks very much I will squirrel it away in my memory for when I need it ..hopefully never

Quick Reply: Just Cracked My Windshield....Damnit