Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche Noob With 924S Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM
AppleFanatic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Not getting in the middle of that xD

Very true, arominus. That's the mindset I'd have to take to afford this car.

Yeah maint, that's what I would definitely do, I'm only about 45 minutes from the border.

I don't think I could actually afford a 968, and if I could, ernie is right, they're incredibly scarce. Although I'm having difficulties deciding between the 924s and the 944 now... Those curves on the 944 are starting to call my name...
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AppleFanatic
^Not getting in the middle of that xD.........Your not getting in the middle of that xD, Allan & me we are just having a little fun here,for those who don't know us it migth seem like
we are at each other throats but it's not so.The only thing that will never happen is him converting me over to his sewing machine oil lol.

I don't think I could actually afford a 968, and if I could, ernie is right, they're incredibly scarce. Although I'm having difficulties deciding between the 924s and the 944 now... Those curves on the 944 are starting to call my name...
______________ I truly beleive that you should go the 944 way,not that I got anything against the 924S since mechanically it the same car except for the body, but I simply like the 944 look more.Parts & maintenance wise cost will be the same.GL
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Medski
Instructor

Although I'm having difficulties deciding between the 924s and the 944 now... Those curves on the 944 are starting to call my name...
Picking up a girl in a 924S:
Her: ''uh okay.. Old car I guess...''
You: ''But babe it's a classic and an awesome machine!''
Her: ''Still an old car...''

Enjoy an ok date, and 2-3 nights of maybe, maybe not.. then she'll eventually stop answering your calls.

Picking up a girl in a 944 Turbo:
Her: ''Nice car!!!''
You: ''It's a classic Porsche and an awesome machine!'' (Put on your big smile)
Her: ''Nice!! A porsche!! Woah! Ooo leather seats and really comfy too!''

Proceed to make her feel goosebumps spooling that Turbo. Enjoy the nice dinner out while valet parking parks your car in the front almost on display. Then bring her home and start building a relationship...

This is EXACTLY what's in store for you... Choose carefully.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

wow ! just going back to see the great post above !!

you can spend $2,500 dollars on a 924S.

then spend $20~30,000 dollars bringing it back to look and drive like back in the day including doing all the basics; i.e. mechanicals, rubber parts/fuel lines/hoses/wires/ps, suspension/struts/strut-mounts/control arms/bushings, etc, carpets, interior trim, maybe improve the car by adding leather 964/993 seats, 968CS steering wheel, stereo upgrade and finally, a respray, new weather stripping, trim, etc.....

you can spend $3,000 dollars on a 944S.

then spend $20~30,000 dollars bringing it back to look and drive like back in the day including doing all the basics; i.e. mechanicals, rubber parts/fuel lines/hoses/wires/ps, suspension/struts/strut-mounts/control arms/bushings, etc, carpets, interior trim, maybe improve the car by adding leather 964/993 seats, 968CS steering wheel, stereo upgrade and finally, a respray, new weather stripping, trim, etc.....

when you get done, the 944 will be worth a good deal more than the 924 and look EVEN WAY, WAY BETTER.

it's not fun, but it's the truth. you can also do this comparision for a 944 vs S2, 944 or S2 vs 968, 968 vs 911, etc....

the cars that cost more to begin with, always win out.

the 924s cost like $21 k back in the day and the 944s were way more.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

now, after reading the above 3 posts, look at this one;

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I do love the 944 but frankly i am sick of them, i think the extent of the modifications i did to my turbo did me in.. that an owning and working on one of these since 2002, not to mention restoring two of my friends 944's, a 968 and helping various other people with timing belt. head gasket and clutch jobs i am just sick of them. I wish i kept my 951 stock, ill just leave it at that. I would never buy another 944 unless it was a 8v n/a for track only use.

I do plan on buying a 993 or 6-GT3 in a year or two and almost bought a 993 last summer. My 951 is basically no fun to have as a fun street car anymore or even a weekend car as usually it requires something adjusted before or after driving it and that takes all the fun out of it.. that was fine when i was in my early 20's and still in school..now i have better things to do with my time than spending full days working on the car. It will be retired to track only use. A stock 993 or 6-GT3 with just suspension work will allow me to just get in and drive.

Ive thought long and hard about selling my 951 and just going with a 993 or 6-GT3 for all around fun, weekend and track use. But after finally getting my 951 back on the track last year i changed my mind. Plus its far more disposable than either of the other 2 are.

I am totally jealous of my friends that run WRX's as they make great power, the cars are usable in the snow, make great power and they handle very well. That and they can buy a factory new short block from the dealer for about $1800. You will pay close to that having an engine builder rebuild a short block for you and you are reusing an old block. I like the new 5-door STi and have thought about taking a trip to the dealer. If i didnt already own a Jeep for a daily id probably have one in the driveway already.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

to illustrate the point i made a few minutes ago, how about a comparision of a 1995 968 vs a 1995 993.

let's drive the cars 12 K miles and keep them in bubble wrap the rest of the time.

i once posted where i did the research on the exact numbers, so i might be off slightly this time,

the 993 would have cost you like $77~82 k new. but you'd be able to get about $65~70 k for the car now... keeping 75~85 % of it's original price. cost to own after purchase, maintenance and sale of the car ? about $16 k.

the 968 would have cost you like, $47 k new. but you can only get about $17~19 K for the car now... keeping about 35~40 % of it's original price. cost to own after purchase, maintenance and sale of the car ? about $32 k.

if you start driving both cars, even after maintenance, the cost difference gets even worse.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing about the 924s vs the late 944... the suspension is much much cheaper to rebuild on the 924 since the a-arms are $25+20 for a ball joint. The late a-arms are $500 a pop...
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

we have Robert M. (XSChop) working on this one. yep, he fixed that.

now i just need him to do a set for the 968. anyway i got a spare complete suspension for the 968 with vary low miles including the lower control arms, struts, strut mounts, and all the rest, etc for about the cost of a cup of coffee for 12 months.... i guess i'll have to have the old suspension parts re-inspected when i hit 200 K miles (sometime next year)? and see if i need to swap anything out.

*for you noobs, he's talking about the ball joints and lower control arms being all one throwaway unit where you can't simply change out the ball joint like on the earlier cars.

$442 http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ntrol_arm.html

yikes; strut mounts at Pelican; $1,006/pr....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...9%2C%20Each%20

not sure i've ever seen strut mounts for the 968 this cheap (or if this is the correct 968 part).

$450/pr
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by odurandina; 01-25-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
AppleFanatic
AutoX

You illustrate your point well, medski xD Especially since you're talking to a 17-year-old guy here. I hate to say it, but image matters. A honda civic has nowhere near the 'cool factor' of a porsche.

Ouch- those parts are pricey. I couldn't afford a turbo or an S/S2, and from what I hear they're harder to work on. For me, it would have to be an 85-87 944. Are the a-arms likely to fail on those years?

I hate to say it, but mrmerlin was right, this does look like my best bet:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/2800488557.html

There's also this one, which is incredibly overpriced, but is on the right side of the border:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...752430285.html

Or I could fly across half the country for this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...7#ht_500wt_924

I think I'll still go see the 924s this weekend if I get the chance, now that our crazy snowstorm weather has blown over. If I like it in person I might go for it... If not I'll hold out for a 944, as you are all slowly beginning to make me a convert.

And it might be blasphemous to say this on a porsche forum (I'll probably have my head ripped off), but if I can't find a 944 I like, this is also another very tempting option:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...788821493.html

I have always loved the look of these cars, and until I found the 924s I had my heart set on buying one. Now that the option of a 924/944 is on the table, it's hard to choose!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Medski
Instructor

I live in quebec, I bought my turbo in Ohio. Don't dismiss getting a US car over the border in canada. Import is a breeze for these cars since they are older than 15 years old and exempt from the RIV regulations.

If you get one from the us you need only pay an import tax (figure about 10% of price of purchase). And then an inspection from your province (QC was about 100$). The only quirk is that you need to provide US customs all the paper work (title and proof of purchase and a handmade contract written between seller and you) 72hours prior to crossing the border...

Since I was driving the car back home, I just brought everything to the border and sat in a cheap motel and went around that town for 72hours before crossing.

Took about 30mins to actually cross.

The only hickup I went into was that it had a small oil leak, and I found out that in quebec, any leak = insta fail the inspection and couldnt plate it. You need to plate it 45 days after crossing the border (in quebec) So I had to fix that ASAP.

Look up the laws in your province.. It's really less complex than it looks.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

if i could do it over again and have a 944 with the same modifications at the same investment as my current 924s i wouldnt do it. i think there is something that just sets a clean 924s apart from the 944. maybe it is just because they are fewer and further between.

it might be blasphemous to say this on a porsche forum (I'll probably have my head ripped off), but if I can't find a 944 I like, this is also another very tempting option:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...788821493.html

I have always loved the look of these cars, and until I found the 924s I had my heart set on buying one. Now that the option of a 924/944 is on the table, it's hard to choose!
an e36 would probably make a better dd/only car
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
AppleFanatic
AutoX

It's reasuring to hear your experience went smoothly medski. I've been considering it, but I though it would be slightly more expensive than you claim. I was under the impression vehicles with AC had to pay another $100 fee, did you not have to pay that?

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
an e36 would probably make a better dd/only car
That's what I've been wondering about. Is the difference in reliability that large? I've driven a couple e36's before, and while I liked them, they weren't mind-blowing. They felt a little large to me, as I'm a fairly small guy. However, I didn't have much time to test them out, my opinion could change. And they do look as good as a porsche IMHO.

I think it's just going to end up coming down to personal preference- I'll have to go see and drive a 924, 944, and 325i, and then decide from there. Just have to find the time and the right cars...
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

i like both cars but for different reasons. considered an e36 daily driver to go with my 924s. they are both fun cars but they are different. i like the ergonomics, size, and driving dynamics of the porsche better but the bmw is more practical and probably easier to maintain.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Medski
Instructor

I was under the impression vehicles with AC had to pay another $100 fee, did you not have to pay that?
I did pay that. I bought my car for 4500$ USD, got taxed (including the 100$ for AC) for 520ish$ CAD.

I was also in a not good for us canadians currency exchange rate.

If you think of going south the border for one, they are cheaper for cleaner in comparison. You can get one with no winter driving, and you potentially could make the exchange rate work in your favor.

(Added bonus: when I go roadtripping down there my speedometer has the bigger numbers in MPH... hehe)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

[quote=ernie9468;9208368]

If you are serious about buying a 924S/944 I would take a look at that one.Remember It's a late car with engine rebuilt & only 10K miles on the TB which leave you another 25K miles to go before they have to be look at.Also the 132K miles is more like it for an 86 & will probably be the rigth mileage accumaleted since 86.If he has maintenance records for let say the last two years & the belts being done that would be a +.

Ouch- those parts are pricey. I couldn't afford a turbo or an S/S2, and from what I hear they're harder to work on. For me, it would have to be an 85-87 944. Are the a-arms likely to fail on those years?-----A-arms can be rebuilt easily on a late car but the rebuilt kit cost $185.00. Are they likely to fail.No more than the steel arms on a street driven car.

I hate to say it, but mrmerlin was right, this does look like my best bet:------Wasn't (mrmerlin) it was me who suggest you should seriously consider the one across the border.

There's also this one, which is incredibly overpriced, but is on the right side of the border:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...752430285.html-------To much issues & unknown for the asking price.

Or I could fly across half the country for this :--------Figure out you flying fare from Vancouver to Montreal & the cost of driving back a 26 years old car some 3K miles in the winter time & you'll change your mind.Btw shipping will cost you close to $1.5K from Montreal to Vancouver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...7#ht_500wt_924

I think I'll still go see the 924s this weekend if I get the chance, now that our crazy snowstorm weather has blown over. If I like it in person I might go for it... If not I'll hold out for a 944, as you are all slowly beginning to make me a convert. -------Agree but I still say the one across the border sound like a good deal.

And it might be blasphemous to say this on a porsche forum (I'll probably have my head ripped off), but if I can't find a 944 I like, this is also another very tempting option:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...788821493.html-------- Very good car but very higth mileage,you will need a very good PPI on that one & parts cost in Canada can be steep for those BMW.

I have always loved the look of these cars, and until I found the 924s I had my heart set on buying one. Now that the option of a 924/944 is on the table, it's hard to choose![/quote-------Now excuse me to be so blunt,but you seem to be going in circle & have a hard time making a choice between what is available in your price range.So why don't you take a step back & after all you learn here try to figure out exactly what is the best for you.GL

Quick Reply: Another Porsche Noob With 924S Questions