Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 N/A owner with electrical woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 PM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 N/A owner with electrical woes

Hello all,
I have spent about a month or so hiding in the shadows reading numerous posts before purchasing a '86 944 n/a from an impound yard for $1500. I'm not sure if I got too great of a deal but after driving it home it definitely feels like money well spent. I'm going to apologize in advance for my questions as I know they have to have been answered in previous posts on here somewhere, I just can't get the search function to find what I'm looking for specifically. I'm going to lay it all out and if anyone feels I should look elsewhere or knows of a thread that addresses a specific issue any help is greatly appreciated.

First off, I'm almost positive my headlights and brake lights are the only eletrical items that are currently functional on the vehicle. I get a blinking indicator on the dash when I turn the turn signal on but it seems like the car decides which light actually turns on outside and if it wants it to actually blink or not. Next, my power mirrors and windows have decided to quit their jobs. The blower motor and wipers have done the same. I have a switch on the console that makes a whining noise when I push it in either direction but what it's actually doing I have no clue. I think it may be the sunroof but that is another problem all of its own. The last thing I can think of electrically is the radio, but it's an aftermarket so there could be a number of things wrong there. My research on these items led me to the fuse box where every fuse and relay has been replaced and I have soaked the blower resistor in vinegar a couple times now. I'm currently $160 invested in fuses, relays, and bottles of vinegar with no results.

My last demon is the sunroof will accept any amount of water that would like to enter the car. Honestly I'm not a big sunroof fan so if there is a way to just permanently seal it shut I would love to do so.

I apologize for such a lenghty post and thank everyone in advance for any help they may be able to provide. I know I have quite some work ahead of me but you would think she is a brand new 911 the way I light up when I open the garage.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check all the grounds and battery connections. If you search 944 grounds there should be a few good write ups. If that doesnt fix the problem I would take one fault and diagnose that one as chances are there is a common issue for a couple of the electrical problems.

For the sunfoor leak I would remove it and check the drains to make sure they are clear.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 PM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

Ok, so I have been searching around like you suggested and have found a great deal of good information. One thing I haven't been able to find yet is actualy pictures of the ground locations. I have been able to find this for the older models but nothing for the late. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I purchased a wire brush to use to clean up the grounding locations, will that suffice?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

try this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-interior.html

I removed the grounds and cleaned them with a bit of sand paper...wire brush would be fine as well...as long as it is medal on medal you should be good..side note try as I do I cant see down to the bell housing to find those grounds
Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello pvtskiles, In order to properly clean the (BROWN Wire) Grounds the attaching bolt / screw should be taken loose from the respective Ground Wire. Best to use a Dremel Tool with a wire brush attachment to clean the base metal, both sides of the wire end, and the bolt / screw. Use a small dab of Dielectric Grease on the cleaned connection. Just using a wire brush over the top of the ground will not hack the job.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 AM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

Thanks for the help. Can I get the dielectric grease at most auto parts stores?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

Oh I forgot to throw up a couple pics

Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get a little packet of dielectric grease at the counter of most AutoZones, or buy an expensive aerosol can of it that loses pressure and you have to cut the can open to get the rest out... ask me how I know.

Seriously, almost any grease works well enough, it isn't magic. It just keeps water etc out of the connection.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Nice looking ride! And yup you can get it almost anywhere they sell car parts
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

I've been slowly working on cleaning these grounds. I ran into one that is giving me some trouble. It's the one on the driver side behind the headlight. It looks round but doesn't seem to be an Allen head. Any insight on how to remove?
Here's a picture.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Appears to be an allen head
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

That's not the factory bolt..can you get a pair of vise grips on it to brake it free? I agree it looks like an allen head..try pressing your finger on it and see what type of impression it leaves on your skin?

Last edited by plumbum; 01-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
dave1192
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks almost like it might be a Torx bolt
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

I got the bolt out. Ended up taking the airbox off the get a little more room to fit some vise grips in there. Looks as if it used to be an Allen head but is heavily stripped. Would basic hardware from a hardware store be ok to replace or do I need to hit an auto parts store?

Now I'm working on the bolt behind the passenger side headlight. How in the heck to you get in there to remove it? And tricks would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
pvtskiles
Intermediate

One quick thing. I figured while I have everything tore apart I'd soak the resistor pack in vinegar again. After it dries out there is a faint green residue that covers most of the metal contacts. How can I safely get this off without breaking the whole unit?

Quick Reply: New 944 N/A owner with electrical woes