Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 Clutch Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Curious George
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S2 Clutch Parts

When I get back from Afghanistan (soon), I'll be replacing the clutch on my recently-acquired 1990 944 S2 (Coupe)

It has approx 160k miles, and a questionable history. The PPI i had done revealed that the clutch disc is thin (along with some other things), and I'm just gonna replace it.

I got a Sachs clutch kit off of a fellow rennlister, which includes clutch, pressure plate, and the throwout bearing.

I've never done a clutch before, and am definitely doing it myself (I've almost always done my own work), and I've been reading around for any other "While you're in there" parts to be replaced, and so far all I've got is the rear main seal.

Is there anything else I should replace? (Especially with 160k)

Any tips?

(Cam chain tensioner is definitely on my list) Timing belt was done approx a year ago, and its been sitting since then. Runs hot (possibly overheating) but that may just be air from sitting.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curious George
When I get back from Afghanistan (soon), I'll be replacing the clutch on my recently-acquired 1990 944 S2 (Coupe)

It has approx 160k miles, and a questionable history. The PPI i had done revealed that the clutch disc is thin (along with some other things), and I'm just gonna replace it.

I got a Sachs clutch kit off of a fellow rennlister, which includes clutch, pressure plate, and the throwout bearing.

I've never done a clutch before, and am definitely doing it myself (I've almost always done my own work), and I've been reading around for any other "While you're in there" parts to be replaced, and so far all I've got is the rear main seal.

Is there anything else I should replace? (Especially with 160k)

Any tips?

(Cam chain tensioner is definitely on my list) Timing belt was done approx a year ago, and its been sitting since then. Runs hot (possibly overheating) but that may just be air from sitting.

Thanks.
Location?

I'm sure someone close can be found to lend a hand!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Curious George
Advanced

Northern CA. Guess i should update my location on here.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pilot bearing
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the cam tensioner you can just do the pads and save some $$.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
On the cam tensioner you can just do the pads and save some $$.
at 160k i would do the whole tensioner since you cant get the bottom pad.

i did some research with the 928 board about 7 years ago and concluded that if you want to play it safe replace the pad at say 60k and the tenisoner at say 120k. with 160k i dont think it is worth the risk to replace just the pad.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Curious George
Advanced

I meant the pads. What is the life expectancy of the tensioner itself? All the threads i see about it are the pads failing....

Just looked at a new cam chain tensioner. How can such a small piece cost so much? Almost $500 is rediculous, imho. I've been able to get parts for pretty cheap so far. (Clutch kit, Brake pads + Sensors, Heater Control Valve, Heater Rod Clip, Window Regulator, Hatch motor, Ball joint rebuild kit, Shift boot) Overall approx $700.

Last edited by Curious George; 01-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
at 160k i would do the whole tensioner since you cant get the bottom pad.

i did some research with the 928 board about 7 years ago and concluded that if you want to play it safe replace the pad at say 60k and the tenisoner at say 120k. with 160k i dont think it is worth the risk to replace just the pad.
I got my pad kit from http://www.paragon-products.com/Cams...9.kit-rail.htm
So I did top and bottom, I checked the tensioner and it seemed fine. 180k btw. But I would make sure your tensioner is still in good condition and firm.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you have the trans out you might want to replace the oil and repack the CV joints. I like to replace the bolts with Allen headed grade 10.9 hardware from fastenal. It makes removal so much easier the next time it comes out.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Curious George
Advanced

So the only extra parts i'll need is the pilot bearing, and rear main seal.

Any specific tools?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Curious George
Advanced

Ok, thread revival time.

Im still not back yet, but planning ahead.

Im gonna have the flywheel resurfaced, but the shop that i asked is looking for "step measurements" for the flywheel.

I tried searching, but didnt find it... thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curious George
Ok, thread revival time.

Im still not back yet, but planning ahead.

Im gonna have the flywheel resurfaced, but the shop that i asked is looking for "step measurements" for the flywheel.

I tried searching, but didnt find it... thanks
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=944+flywheel+machining+limits

From teh second link in the first sub grouping that will come up... Your machine shop SHOULD have been easily able to find this info...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM
car_slave
Pro

You'll want to replace the clutch lever shaft and bearings - should run you about $55

With 160K I'll bet the clutch was already replaced at some point
Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I wouldnt replace anything unless its actually damaged....

As to special tools, you'll need a 10 or 12mm cheesehead (I forget what size it is) to get the flywheel off the crankshaft.

A pick to get the old mainseal out. BE CAREFUL driving the new one in - because you won't have Porsche's special giant drift. (Its a one-piece mainseal).
You'll need a pilot bearing puller.

You'll need a clutch alignment tool for the correct number of splines on your car. Autozone actually has them. How many splines are on the shaft and whats the shaft size (cant remember this off the top of my head)??

You'll need a 6mm allen key socket drive too I think to get the pressure plate loose.

A big C-clip remover to get the thrust bearing off the pressure plate.

Porsche recommends a specific grease to use in the pilot bearing, on the clutch fork bearings as well. I just use black grease or moly wheel bearing grease. The needle bearings on the clutch fork are usually all bound up - spray them out with carb spray until they are clean and free rolling - then pack with fresh grease.

Consider taking the whole assembly in to get balanced. It can make a big difference.

Oh yeah and.....God bless - thanks for serving and protecting our freedoms!

Quick Reply: 944 S2 Clutch Parts