Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S rescue project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
maint
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 924S rescue project

I picked up a 87 924S from a neighbour...He got it from an estate sale. Broke the rule about knowing the history and I now know why it should be NOT be broken.
It had been parked for a few years and generally looked good except the PO had painted the hood, roof and front and didn't know what he was doing. Thought I would get away with paint and minor mechanicals. Turned out the PO had done the timing belt and could paint a helll of a lot better than wrench. The belt was burning into the block, idlers bent and bolt missing from tensioner. He had cut the two studs for the guard rail off the water pump but used the larger idler. I think he made every mistake he could have. That started me looking closer at the whole car. The good thing was that everything he touched could be seen easy when you looked hard. Just find what he had touched and take it all apart. The reason for all the stupidity became clear when I found a crack pipe hidden in a loose map pocket. Now the whole car comes apart, not taking a chance of crossing the border with any more surprises. So far changed most of the dash lights (wrong type), welded the window channel bracket on both doors and reinforced both door panels with fibreglass resin. Checking all electrics and wiring as I go. Ended up buying a second car as a parts car for $500. Almost broke even already on parts I used off it.
Think I jumped into the deep end

Last edited by maint; 01-18-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck!

That's quite a project you've got there!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 Good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM
maint
Instructor

I started taking the door panels off to see if the clip for the power window switch had fallen into the door cavity. Panels came off easy but were soft where the water had got to the cardboard. The clips were pulling through. I pulled the staples that hold the vinyl to the cardboard and applied fiberglass resin to the cardboard ( sucked right into it). Some pieces of plywood on top of poly held the pieces flat until the resin set, much stronger now.I will glue the vinyl down later.
While in the door I decided to service the door handles but what a job to even see them. I discovered if you take two bolts that hold the 6" piece of "track" to the door the window will tilt clear of the outer guide and you can take it off easy and see what your doing with the lock. while I was at that point it is easy to tack the loose bracket that holds the top of the guide in place. Both doors on this car and the one I looked at on the parts car had the spot weld pulled right out of the door and they must have rattled with the window part way open. Picture shows a small clamp where the weld pulled out. Also found that the mirrors had been removed sometimes by cutting the wires in the door rather than dismantling the mirror. Liked the idea so mounted waterproof plugs where the PO had twisted the wires together. Will need to take the pins out of the plug to fully pull the mirror but I have the tool for that.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you have jumped in, but it looks like you are very good at swimming. Looking forward to the updates.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

crystal green metallic like my 944 one of my friends has a 924S parts car the same colour. Euro bumpers though.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

is that Ice Green ?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
maint
Instructor

It is Crystal green metallic, like J1NX3D says, but I haven't seen another this color.
When you say Euro bumpers, are they like mine without the rubber blocks. I think I've seen a thread on welding the rubber mounting holes. Thought about that when the last rubber piece studs were in such bad shape they fell apart at a touch. I'll see if I can install studs into that piece
Spent today pulling the bumpers, trim and lights off. Don't want to start sanding until I get the camshaft seal in. Ordered what most sites said was the right seal (32 mm) and installed it after checking it against the old one. Leaked like mad ; seemed too large so I looked at my parts car and it had a 30mm seal. Impatiently waiting for it to come in the mail. Hope I can use the arnnworx gauge on the timing belt without taking the balance belt off
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
crystal green metallic like my 944 one of my friends has a 924S parts car the same colour. Euro bumpers though.
Cristal green metallic LM 6Y w/Euro Bumper ,belong to (mAD 924) Pelican. J1NX3D are you mAD 924?

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

yes thats me

the 924 euro bumper is similar to my old 944 one Ernie posted, i.e. park lights, indicators and a small rubber bumper pad.

its not a common colour but i know of a few around besides that 924S parts car. There is an '85 944 (early dash) that races in the Targa NZ series:

and the S2 Clarkson drives in Top Gear (don't know why image is reversed!)

Last edited by J1NX3D; 01-03-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
maint
Instructor

Appologies for starting a thread about a rebuild and then not folowing up on it. It just seemed that nothing was happening at any pace. Progress was made such a tiny bit at a time and on many so fronts. I do want to thank all the people on this forum who answered questions ( mostly asked by others: thank you for the "search"). With out the help from this forum, I would have hit a blank wall so many times. If you can answer someones question I urge you to do so as you help all the others who are watching or will search afterwards.

I started out with a TB /water pump change and just dove in and did most of what needed work
cleaned IAC and changed most vacuum lines & seals (pressurized the intake )
repair wiring and grounds, replaced bulbs
added extra tail lights
had dash board recovered ( LLLLong wait but eventually worth it)
recovered front seats with kit from LeatherDashes
replaced headliner ( not to hard but very rewarding)
Fiberglass resin to backside of door cards and panels
cleaned repaired door mechanism, welded window track gudes back at top
checked brakes and bearings
fuel pump and sender unit
Changed all fluids, did tune up(plugs cap ,wires etc)
The hardest part was doing all the body work (in a few spots the filler was used to hide dents that were relatively easy to knock out.
I had most of the car, except for the clutch,drive line and transmission, apart to clean check then reassemble.
Had to buy a parts car and used it for both parts and as a guide. It took a year and a half of steady work but, like a huge puzzle ,I think maybe I could tackle another.
Attached Images   

Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Looks great!

Is that a late windshield?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

the car looks stellar!! would love to se more pics!! i'm a huge fan of the Crystal Green!!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
maint
Instructor

Not a late model windshield , must be the shadow. Might try the late model mounting if I have to ever change the glass.
Glad you like the Crystal Green too. Wasn't looking for a Porsche when this one came up but I thought the green looked so much better than the rest that I bought it.
Attached Images  

Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

I'm strongly considering a late model windshield. Mine is pitted really bad.

I love the color. I would've much rather had that than red. Oh well.

Quick Reply: 924S rescue project