Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 window switch alternatives - the hunt begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Early 944 window switch alternatives - the hunt begins

Hi all,

Recently it came to my attention that the early 944/924 window switches have taken a steep increase in price. Black ones went up by 50% and the brown ones (that I need) have more than tripled in price in the last month or two.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and so to Porsche and the company that makes the switches, I say, F*** you.

The switches as of late have been of poor quality, coming apart often under normal operating conditions. I even had a new switch completely melt on me last month because it got stuck on itself and tried to complete both the up and down circuits.

Since quality has declined, junkyard switches are precisely that, junk, and price has steeply increased, I have decided to embark on a quest to find a good-looking, inexpensive alternative window switch from another brand of car. I will be browsing the local parts yards for similar-looking or at least similar-sized parts. The late style window switches I have always found to be dinky looking, so those are not an option. I will be looking at anything and everything, from other Porsche models to BMW/Merc, to Hyundai and Mitsubishi, whatever I find in the yards.

If any of you have suggestions of what to look for, I would appreciate it. And I'm sure other early brown interior owners will appreciate it as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just bought new window switches for mine. Got them off rockauto.com for [b]$15[\b] yes only FIFTEEN a piece. They only come in black, but that doesn't matter. You know why? When mine came in, they extremely easily fell apart - the top plate would just pop right out. What I found was this: take the plate from your old switch and snap it into the new system and it fits PERFECT and SNUG. If you have a brown interior, viola! It's now a brown switch for $15.

Hope this helps... Maybe you don't need to go on this "quest" after all??
Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

true...but even those will probably fall apart too...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine have been in for over 2 months now. Perfect in every way. Yes they are "uro parts" not oem. When I took them apart the internal pieces are built a little different, actually sturdier than oem. Once you pop on your old top piece no way it's falling apart, fits really tight. If you like, I will post pics of the rockauto ones so you can see an internal comparison.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

for $15 i think they would be a good buy. even if you only get one year out of them (which is absurd because a window switch should last many years) then you are out only $15 and you can afford to keep a couple in stock, just in case.

perhaps a mid 80's VW or Audi switch would be similar. its worth a look.

Quick Reply: Early 944 window switch alternatives - the hunt begins