Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube rebuild, all bearings at once?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque tube rebuild, all bearings at once?

This question is for the people who have rebuilt their torque tubes, do you pull 1 bearing at a time, or all at once? Pull them toward the front of the torque tube, correct?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have to pull them all at once.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
dontnow
Pro

Thank you. I saw a write up showing a fabricated plate that fits through the center and flips down which looked like you could pull one at a time. (be a pain in the arm ratcheting them out).
Pull them out the front?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

It shouldn't manner which way you pull.

It can be a lot of work. I had one that seemed really tight. I had to grease the threaded rod to keep it from heating up and gauling.

Going back in one at a time isn't so bad.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 PM
marc a
Advanced

lube the tube with soapy water or 409 to help the pucks slide out. A high torque impact wrench is a must unless you have arms and shoulders like Arrrrnold.

Don't use oil or WD-40 as it will cause the rubber around the puck to swell making the job even more difficult, not to mention the effect on re-installing.

Last edited by marc a; 12-17-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

have Constantine sell you a brand spanking new TT with his incredible bearings. costs a penny and worth a fifty dollars. doing it yourself is not a good idea for many reasons, not the first being, that chances are, your TT isn't good candidate for a bearing retrofit in the first place.

the tubes he's selling now are far superior to anything Porsche ever built for the 944.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Link to these magical tubes?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

you can rebuild a TT for about $100 worth of parts and 3-4 hours of your time...BTDT x2
The following users liked this post:
Cad.Guy (10-28-2023)
Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

http://www.blackseard.com/site/

Originally Posted by Constantine
Thank you Chad and Jon for the kind words on our behalf.

We decided to keep this little business going due to the very good responses we've gotten on our services so far.

And to keep it going forward, we also just stood up our new 944 5-speed replacement drive shafts.

We've noticed many 944 drive shafts coming in that are out of spec and are tired of not being able to offer better drive shafts to go along with our Super Bearings and in our rebuilds. Now that is no longer a problem.

Let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Constantine was absolutely first rate to deal with on all aspects. Too bad the people on the other end aren't like him. He rush ordered my TT for me and I still don't have my car back and that was 18 months ago! I was told it was the best he had ever seen and he has been in business for 39 years. Glad to see he is still offering this great service. Just might get my CA car done now.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

"you can rebuild a TT for about $100 worth of parts and 3-4 hours of your time...BTDT x2"

The biggest problem with trying to do these rebuilds is that many times the original bearing carriers, as well as the inner rubber bushings, are ruined in the process.

Below is a picture we just got from someone who found this and other ruined bearings in his 944 torque tube. Besides the obvious damage to the carrier body, you can also see how the original inner rubber bushing in the bearing is also coming apart and ruined. The owner says this is the way he found the bearing carriers and did not do this damage himself.

This is the reason why we re-designed the original bearing units to incorporate changes that update the design and makes them better than the original versions.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM
marc a
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltdan12a
Link to these magical tubes?
No . . . he was talking about your avatar
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine
"you can rebuild a TT for about $100 worth of parts and 3-4 hours of your time...BTDT x2"

The biggest problem with trying to do these rebuilds is that many times the original bearing carriers, as well as the inner rubber bushings, are ruined in the process.

Below is a picture we just got from someone who found this and other ruined bearings in his 944 torque tube. Besides the obvious damage to the carrier body, you can also see how the original inner rubber bushing in the bearing is also coming apart and ruined. The owner says this is the way he found the bearing carriers and did not do this damage himself.

This is the reason why we re-designed the original bearing units to incorporate changes that update the design and makes them better than the original versions.
I am in no way trying to knock your product, and would definitely go so far as to say you make a superior product, and your rebuild price is fair. But I don't have $680 for your beast-bearings. Sure, I would love to have a set, but seeing as my tube has been in fine shape and the bearing carriers still looking fine (I believe it may come down to the manner in which they are removed; as with some other great things in life, you need lots of lube and patience), I opted to rebuild it. I have done mine twice in the last 6 years, but the second time was solely as a "while you're in there" as I had the entire car disassembled after my crash last year and figured "bearings that are 3 years newer will last 3 years longer".

Should my work pick up again, and I have an excuse/good reason to pull my tube again, there would be a good chance I'd send you mine to rebuild with your battle-bearings.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Spencer,

Did not mean to imply that you were knocking our products and we appreciate your compliments!

We also understand the need to manage costs with these cars. We have done our own "old school" rebuilds with our 928 test mule track car torque tubes back in the day before we designed our Super Bearings.

We also know that a 944 torque tube rebuild doesn't always go smoothly for all owners who have tried it. That you were able to do it twice succesfully is a testamant to your patience and skills!

Kind regards,
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by marc a
lube the tube with soapy water or 409 to help the pucks slide out. A high torque impact wrench is a must unless you have arms and shoulders like Arrrrnold.

Don't use oil or WD-40 as it will cause the rubber around the puck to swell making the job even more difficult, not to mention the effect on re-installing.
I tried an impact and it put too much heat into the threads. At 6'1" and 170lbs I don't have arms like arnold but a few hours with a standard lenght ratchet got the job done.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1000 on Constantine's bearings. Diminishing quality in parts (OEM and Factory) are making our cars more difficult to own. VERY few products surpass the factory in quality and function, but there are a handful out there. Constantine's bearings are what they should have been from the start.

Quick Reply: Torque tube rebuild, all bearings at once?