Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several tries to start..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Quote de MAGK944
First place I would look for the cold idle problem is the dme temp switch or the O2 sensor. As to the cut out, do this check:

Remove the passenger floorboard and remove the dme from it without disconnecting it. Then try to start the car while tapping the dme.

If you noticed a difference it could be the power resistors in the dme detaching from the circuit board. Quite common and an easy fix.

Originally Posted by PeteL
It doesn't cut out. When the car will not start, it sputters and dies.
So far, has not stalled once running, what we have here is a car that is difficult to start.
The dme fault I mentioned doesn't cause the car to stall, it just makes it hard to start, takes a few tries.

I had this problem, the car would turn but not start, after a few more attempts it would fire-up. It never stopped running or stalled when it got going and ran perfectly normal. I got the dme out and while turning the engine over (no start), I tapped the case of the dme and it fired right up. Then I resoldered the power resistors inside and never had the problem since.

Not saying this definatley your issue, but it's an easy thing to eliminate.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps lifters not "pumping up" And after a few tries they are good to go? Maybe during the rebuild they sat dry?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts

Check for injectors leaking fuel pressure at the rail down. It will take a few seconds for the pressure to build up to spec, and during that time the car will run rough.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
Check for injectors leaking fuel pressure at the rail down. It will take a few seconds for the pressure to build up to spec, and during that time the car will run rough.
That was my initial thought, that and the check valve.
Replaced injectors with new (not rebuilt) and the check valve.
No change. But it sure feels like a fuel issue.
When the car was driven it will start right up, for up to several hours. Once the car sits for a full work day, or over night, it is difficult to start.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Quote de MAGK944
First place I would look for the cold idle problem is the dme temp switch or the O2 sensor. As to the cut out, do this check:

Remove the passenger floorboard and remove the dme from it without disconnecting it. Then try to start the car while tapping the dme.

If you noticed a difference it could be the power resistors in the dme detaching from the circuit board. Quite common and an easy fix.

The dme fault I mentioned doesn't cause the car to stall, it just makes it hard to start, takes a few tries.

I had this problem, the car would turn but not start, after a few more attempts it would fire-up. It never stopped running or stalled when it got going and ran perfectly normal. I got the dme out and while turning the engine over (no start), I tapped the case of the dme and it fired right up. Then I resoldered the power resistors inside and never had the problem since.

Not saying this definatley your issue, but it's an easy thing to eliminate.
hmmm.....interesting.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

One other thing that would cause this is a bad fuel check valve. A bad one will cause fuel to drain back into the tank every time you turn the engine off. Then when you go to start the fuel rails are empty and need to be filled before the engine will fire again.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

it's one of the four hamsters in your dme, apparently one died and it takes for to rotate the wheel
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
One other thing that would cause this is a bad fuel check valve. A bad one will cause fuel to drain back into the tank every time you turn the engine off. Then when you go to start the fuel rails are empty and need to be filled before the engine will fire again.
First thing I tried

Quick Reply: Several tries to start..