Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken something

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken something

Have an 85 which i just put a newer motor in as well as a spring centered clutch and pressure plate.

Got it running and it was grinding slightly when I disengaged the clutch. There was no noises in neutral with it engaged.

Today shifted from a stand still into 1st a little harder than usual, heard a massive grinding noise and now it will go into gear but will not move.

It goes into all gears easily. It has fluid and the clutch is new.

I guess I might have installed the clutch wrong..... but i dont know.....

Any pointers?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gricec
Have an 85 which i just put a newer motor in as well as a spring centered clutch and pressure plate.

Got it running and it was grinding slightly when I disengaged the clutch. There was no noises in neutral with it engaged.

Today shifted from a stand still into 1st a little harder than usual, heard a massive grinding noise and now it will go into gear but will not move.

It goes into all gears easily. It has fluid and the clutch is new.

I guess I might have installed the clutch wrong..... but i dont know.....

Any pointers?
Sorry to hear dude.............

Need more info: so the grinding sound was coming from the area of the clutch or the tranny? When you say you "shifted from a stand still into 1st a little harder than usual" did the grinding noise start as soon as you put it into gear or are you saying you released the clutch quickly then massive grinding noise.

When you were doing the clutch did you inspect the throw out fork for cracks? I have heard they are bad about snapping. I still want to have one made out of steel to replace mine down the road.

Let's start with the simple things first. I am sure the Yoda's here will give better advice,

michael
Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
gricec
Pro

Sounded like from the clutch area.

Grinding noise started when i released the clutch. I was in my driveway so it wasnt a massive launch or anything.

Everything looked great when i installed. it.

Now it sounds like it is chattering in neutral.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be a bad pilot bearing. I had one disintegrate on me, symptoms sound similar.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM
gricec
Pro

went out there again.

There is no noise when the clutch is engaged or disengaged and it shifts in and out of gear really easily, much more than before. Also it seems like there is a lot of play in the stick when moving it side to side.

Its like there is no clutch at all and it is in neutral. I know the clutch is good, as are the throw out and pilot.

Is there anyway to distinguish if its between the clutch and the tranny.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your shift linkage connections tight?
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM
gricec
Pro

ill check that in the am. Im leeaning towards something simple so I stay sane
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
gricec
Pro

Just to add as well. With the engine off and the car in 1st the car rolls forward like it is in neutral.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
gricec
Pro

Ok, had a look under there this morning and pulled the starter and slave. The slave is definitely working so at least there that!

I checked the level of tranny fluid and it was about a half inch lower than the inspection hole, so I decided to drain the transmission oil and it was incredibly dark and smells slightly burnt. I then stuck my finger in the drain hole and it was very sludgy and there is definitely metal shavings in the bottom of the pan and lots of them.

I guess this means the transmission needs replacing.

I didnt hink it would be the clutch as I had just done it. Also the grind when releasing the pedal I had read possibly meant the transmission is on its way out.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
gricec
Pro

ended up being the clutch via failure of the pilot bearing. I think I must have misaligned something installing. Anyway heres a pic of the carnage. The pilot bearing broke and a bit was wedged against a dlywheel bolt and I guess that is what caused the clutch to separate.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Broken something