Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a vacuum line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default is this a vacuum line?

After replacing my timing belt, my car now starts up easy, but idles for a second or two, then dies. If i give her some gas, she dies immediately.

Looking around I see this hose. I do not purposefully disconnect it. It looks like it comes from the block at the back of the engine, and ends up running parallel with another small hose coming from something sitting on the fuel rail (pressure dampener?). I'm not even sure it got disconnected when I did the timing belt disassemble, but I cannot be sure. Its non obvious where it goes.

Any idea what this is? or where it goes to?

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you take a picture of what it's connected to on the other end, or possibly give a better description? It's hard to say what it may have been connected to in the front without knowing what it's connected to in the rear.

The only vacuum lines up toward the front of the motor are the bypass/recirc valve and the bigger turbo pressure line connected to the banjo fitting on the IC pipe. I'd look at the recirc valve first... It'll have a small rubber elbow that should be connected to an even smaller hard plastic vacuum line.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure what it is, but if it was a vacuum line, it wouldn't make your car do what you described above. Disconnected vacuum lines don't help matters, but just one line isn't going to make your car die almost immediately.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, bypass valve or under the throttle body.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it looks like what i think it looks like... a plastic hose, it might come from the KLR but i wouldn't have a clue what it's doing on that side of the engine, it should be connected to a banjo bolt on the intake.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

One difficult thing is that this car is non factory. It has a lindsay racing MAF as well as a MAFTuner. I dont know if the MAFTuner works in conjunction with the KLR, or in place of it.

It is a small plastic hose. The way its bent/etc makes me think that its been routed this way for a long while. plus, its under the plenum (think thats the right word), and with that routing is not long enough to make it to the throttle body.

What all could cause the car to die like that? It sounds deliberate. Not like the car is just running bad..etc. could my emergency kill switch on the hood (its a race car) be kicking in? I dont loose all electricity, just the car dies, so that doesnt seem like a possiblity.

could the maf not be talking to the dme? or would that just run rough?
TPS or speed sensor? I dont know how those would have been affected by me changing the timing belt

Any help is appreciated, im kinda running out of ideas.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm no expert on diagnosing non-running cars, so I'm not going to be much help. I can only suggest the basics of checking for vacuum leaks in general, make sure all of your intake plumbing is secured/clamped properly, make sure your MAF is connected and is getting power through the harness, etc. The car runs, then dies, so that should rule out things like cam timing problems, reference/speed sensor issues, fuel & spark delivery, etc, although it wouldn't hurt to pull the distributor cap and make sure your rotor is attached properly.

You might also start a new thread or rename this thread to something more appropriate to the engine dying... there are people who can help diagnose that problem who may not be looking at this thread if they think you are just looking for help with a vacuum line.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
make sure your MAF is connected and is getting power through the harness
Huh...

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like the vacuum line that goes from the throttle body via a "Y" fitting to the temp sensor under the intake manifold. There's vacuum line schematics for your particular vehicle on google and some other online providers that should be of help. If the vacuum line interracts with the afm/maf and the motor won't run right. Also check the electrical connector on the MAF.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

I don't know what that line is, but I have one in a parts box. Must not be too important!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Matt was spot on. Was the MAF and whatever this plastic tube is, I apparently dont use it anymore.

thanks man!

Quick Reply: is this a vacuum line?