Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark Cable Kits...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM
ChrisRL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robby, still interested!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_968
Hi Rob,
I'm also interested in the rear relocation kit for the 968. If I recall correctly, the right hand drive version has the battery in the left rear cubby? I want move it from the right front to left rear.

Anything you can do?
Thanks
Seems to me you'd just need to run some 1-ga wire (one red, black can be shorter as its body ground) from the rear cubby, under the car maybe up the trans tunnel (or thru the PS rocker) and to a terminal block where the LHD battery sits, so the LHD harness can just hook up to that...find a RHD battery tray and should be good to go.

Crap, maybe I should do that on my car.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 04-17-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:42 PM
jimlam56
Advanced

Hi Robby, I'm interested in purchasing your kit for my newly acquired 951.
Please put me on your list!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me in for a kit also. Thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 AM
msalvatore
Rennlist Member

I'm in need of a full kit as well.

Thank's
Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

anybody hear from robby or source someone else making kits. thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 03:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robby still makes them. Send a pm and if that doesn't work, send an email. He's your only source for Iceshark kits.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM
JJR512
Instructor

PM and email sent.

Just bought a 944 and on advice of others I'm going to be cleaning the ground points. I've heard of this IceShark kit and it looks like a good idea. Obviously it would make sense to install this kit at the same time as cleaning the grounding points, although it seems like it might take awhile to actually get the kit, and I'm not sure how long I should put off cleaning the grounds since I don't know if bad grounds might be contributing to any of the other problems I'm working on.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Im interested aswell, email sent
Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW! Overwhelmed! Thanks for the support. Here is the deal- in short, it's been a bad yr- b/t going through 4 (yes, FOUR!!!) laptops & then, worse, everyone & their uncle that I know of (mostly family), getting sick enough to be hospitalized, I now have Lyme disease (I've got 4 days of antibiotics to go & really think they're making me feel worse than the tick disease. I don't know who I pi$$ed off in a past life but he must've been a vengeful SOB! Anyway, several have been waiting on kits since March. I ordered everything I could possibly think I could need & then misread the size of ONE roll of ExFlex (or I'd have had several finished). As everything, like wood, for instance, nominal sizes are getting smaller & prices higher. I HAVE to have 5/8" ExFlex now for certain cables. The process takes time b/c I've had to change vendors. On the positive side, when I get it, I will have enough for prob 50 kits! On the [-] side, until then, I'm a little strapped & they take their own sweet time delivering. This order was placed just before MAY! I have been slowly doing kits w/newly ordered cable & lugs, etc.

Also, over the yrs, I have basically let customers dictate lengths- most cables were a bit longer han necessary & these cars are all over the place- I've measured so many of exact same yr, model, etc, & had sev inches difference on same cable. Anyway, I had stopped pulling the ExFlex all the way up to the battery clamp b/c once inside battery box, it doesn't need it & makes it tougher to get the cable through the rubber cover, plus the grommet on the battery box wall, although until recently, I've never had anyone say they had a prob getting it through that grommet. I'm trying to measure ore closely now- the ExFlex CAN be slid downward an inch or so, but I may trim it back ~1" more too as I don't want people having PITA issues w/installation. Removing alternator is PITA enough.

So yes, I'm still here. Hoping for ExFlex any day & awhile working in an assembly line style, I have prob 7 kits worth ready, short of the larger ExFlex. Please keep fingers crossed. I'm stressing heavily. Hoping will show in next few days & should have enough o cover everyone & not worry who ordered first. I also do not ask for Paypal until have the kit actually ready. That way, if something happens to hold me up a few days, I don't want someone thinking they're being taken..

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

JJ (And anyone else)- cleaning grounds never hurts! I think the best of this kit is the cheapest parts (EXCEPT that the cables that are rotting & need replacing anyway)- the complete [-] kit has the 2-pc negative w/new clamp AND supplemental [-] cable. These cars are undergrounded. The ONLY cable I question, IF one is on a budget, is the supplemental [+] cable from fuse box to accessory cables/clamp. Just for those not caught up, I'm including a list of the COMPLETE kit. And btw- EVERYTHING is going up in price on me. But, I'm standing by my current offers/deals until I'm caught up here- then I'll update when this batch is done, so those included on this thread at this point, are going to be part of the special. The worst cost is the fuses (if one gets complete kit, there are 2 of them at almost $30/ea now w/lugs & heatshrink), copper is up slightly (lugs & cable) & ExFLex is way up now too & I have to buy minimum rolls to get it. Dan's last price on his kits in the end of '06 was $349 shipped UPS. I usually do ~$300. The biggest change I've made is not using dbl thick lugs at clamp ends of cables- that was unnecessary overkill based on many discussions I've had, but they did look cool & I still consider Dan Wray the master. Every change short of customer requests have failed me. He also used the thickest heatshrink at clamp ends too (this was mostly for visible "wow" factor) but the prices were a LOT more & dbl thick lugs wear out expensive crimpers more quickly. I completely respect Dan & my goal is to use the EXACT same Excelene welding cable, Littelfuse inline 4awg), & ExFlex, while still using quality heatshrink, tinned copper lugs, right down to sourcing real silicon bronze (96% copper) bolts for highest of conductivity, where needed. I don't care to debate issues, but IF someone wants dbl thick lugs, etc, OR even the thickest of heatshrink, I WILL do it & can get that stuff fast, but it WILL add to price- so you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the price addition. Anyway, here's a list of what IS included in the main kit. I'm not sure what will happen in future as I don't want to upset sponsors, but in looking back, I've sold less than 10 per yr through RL the past few yrs & I DID get permission to do so through John D long ago. But who knows what changes will occur. I am a RL member & would be glad to become a small sponsor IF able to sell enough to make it worth doing. As of now, it's every bit as much about keeping these cars running as making $. Anyway...

One 1awg Main [+] Battery to Starter (EF)
One 4awg Main [+] Alternator to Starter (EF/F)
One 1awg (2-pc) Main [-] Battery Ground (EF on long)
One 4awg Supplemental Ground (EF)
One 4awg Supplemental [+] Battery To Fusebox (EF/F)
Military Spec Clamps, Misc Hardware, Covers, Etc
All Lugs Heat-Shrunk (Adhesive-Lined)
EF = Cable Covered W/ExFlex
F = Fuse

Last edited by Robby; 06-12-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: To add info
Old 06-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ill keep in mind. after i have more important stuff made ill for sure get these nice cables from you.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM
jimlam56
Advanced

Robby, how about posting a list of all of us that are interested in purchasing your kit, so we know we're in line...?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 AM
homerj
Rennlist Member

anybody hear any info. I've emailed and pm'd but no response.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

hi Robby,
sorry if you're repeating yourself by answering this but have you developed a RHD kit or worked out which cables are interchangable left or right hand drive? And with late RHD 944's have you made up cables for the rear mounted battery before?

Quick Reply: IceShark Cable Kits...