Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging: Need shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
You could always fit a remote booster and drill for vacuum at intakes 1&4 or 3&2 "T"ed together so maintaining a healthy vacuum at the booster on our 1-3-4-2 engines.
Do you have a good source for a small booster that will accommodate two brake lines?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Do you have a good source for a small booster that will accommodate two brake lines?
They all accommodate two brake lines, one from the master cylinder and the other to the brake circuit. Many out there new and used, search google, amazon, eBay, etc. If I remember correctly my early Alfa had one from the factory.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MAGK944
They all accommodate two brake lines, one from the master cylinder and the other to the brake circuit. Many out there new and used, search google, amazon, eBay, etc. If I remember correctly my early Alfa had one from the factory.
From a dual master cylinder, so two lines in and two out.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:38 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

From a dual master cylinder, so two lines in and two out.
Ah, so you want to maintain dual circuit brakes. You need two remote boosters to do that which would require more space. I have seen a single small booster fed from the front brake line only and going to the front brakes and a bias valve fitted to the rear brake circuit. This gives you boosted front brakes (which is where you most need it), and non-boosted rears. The rears can be evened out using a bias valve which the 951 has anyway, just upgrade to a larger rear bias.

Don't forget the brake booster doesn't actually apply more pressure, it just lessons the effort (demand at the pedal) required. Because of this the rears will not see as much "demand" so you will have to change the rear bias valve to even that out.

Italian cars used Bonaldi remote boosters a lot, early Alfa Spiders, Maserari's, etc. Also I think the 56/57 T-Bird. Check on the Cobra sites also, they sometimes use remote boosters due to space.

Back to topic....
Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 AM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a used supercharger and all accessories that was on my 968 motor that I'll sell for a good price. I even have a selection of intercoolers that I'll throw in. PM me if interested. The SC is from 928 Motorsports
Still available? PM sent.

MN
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm using a dual master cylinder (tilton) on my new build. I hated it at first but am starting to get used to it. I'm still not sold on it at this point as the effort is quite substantial and I'm concerned about fatigue during endurance racing.
So what was involved in adjusting to this setup Tim? Did you get the m/c's correct first time around? I've heard that a change or two is often needed from the initial setup. Is it just an overall increase in leg pressure needed? One of the reasons I changed was that I didn't have ABS and was flat spotting new tyres. Seriously frustrating and expensive. I also started to question the PFC pads that I have always loved. I'm hoping that without the booster I can retain them.

Oh, and yes, Supercharging Rocks!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944forever
Still available? PM sent.

MN
DO IT!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So what was involved in adjusting to this setup Tim? Did you get the m/c's correct first time around? I've heard that a change or two is often needed from the initial setup. Is it just an overall increase in leg pressure needed? One of the reasons I changed was that I didn't have ABS and was flat spotting new tyres. Seriously frustrating and expensive. I also started to question the PFC pads that I have always loved. I'm hoping that without the booster I can retain them.

Oh, and yes, Supercharging Rocks!
I was fortunate and got the DMC from Tom (968LS), so it was already set up well. I just had to adjust it for some slight differences in my car. It is nice to be able to adjust the balance bar on the DMC (for major changes) and then use an in car balance to change as fuel is burned off or track conditions change.

Leg pressure is DRAMATICALLY increased with the non-boosted system. I believe that my setup is running 3/4 master cylinders, travel is good (2") but you have push. I am getting used to it, but it is taking time.

I'm running Hawk DTC 70 pads on the front with 275/40-17's (Hoosiers, both A and R compounds) and have not had any issue with flat spotting.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting. My old system was pretty good except for the flat spotting. Ideally I'd like the Motorsport ABS but that's a Lottery win away. Having driven quite a few of the current crop of Porsche offerings I found that the middle pedal was very sensitive to minor variations in leg pressure. I think I'd like something inbetween DRAMATIC increase in leg pressure and over sensitive. I'm told that the feel and modulation is increased a lot with the DMC setup. I generally only drive this car in short sprint events so perhaps I won't have to build up the thighs to Olympic weightlifter class!!

Quick Reply: Supercharging: Need shopping list