Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pumps where is yours from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, I plan on dropping in an ls1 the second I can afford, but this thread was about waterpumps!!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

300 waterpump threads are more relevant to the interests of 90% of people who come here than 1000 threads that turn into an ls1 'debate'

Yes we know it's great, but anyone who's considering it can spend 6 seconds of research and learn that
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Thank you odurandina, for another, completely OFF TOPIC and OPINIONATED rant. Read the title of the thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Sure. Come down to AZ in your LS944 and pick me up :P
Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the rebuilt 944 water pump impeller shaft is not checked for interference fit, then it can easily become a block killer....search Chinese water pumps on the 928 forum....it happens.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

DEAR OP! Do not buy a waterpump from the link I posted. The last one they sent me is completely defective. My timing belt is just dragging across it and heating it up

odurandina: I promise I'll read your life story and make an appropriate comment when I get rid of this mad
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
DEAR OP! Do not buy a waterpump from the link I posted. The last one they sent me is completely defective. My timing belt is just dragging across it and heating it up

odurandina: I promise I'll read your life story and make an appropriate comment when I get rid of this mad
Where did you get it from?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
go oem at German or Zims. you wanna play you gotta pay.
Rock auto is the cheapest out there, I think. Installed mine last year and never have had any issues. You don't ALWAYS have to pay top dollar for your parts, just cause it's a porsche.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Thats the thing, It came in the box that said "100% new Bosch" just like my last one. I'll get to the bottom of this soon
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

+951 on Zims....I am aware of their very strict core returns for remanufactured parts in general. Plus they are local...for me

And yes I am running one their rebuilt units!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

when i was saying, 'you gotta pay,'

i was simply stating; 'get the REAL stuff by going to a dependable OEM discount vendor....' such as;

Paragon,
Zims,
German (germanautoparts.com)

or next tier up in $$$....

Pelican,
Sunset Porsche
Suncoast Porsche
Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

All I'm saying is to include rock auto. They are reliable and tend to be cheaper than most. I've bought tons of parts there...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by odurandina

i used to ride the NJT Coast Line and i remember seeing an old Guard's Red 944 in the back of an autobody shop somewhere near Red Bank..... after seeing it sitting there a few years, and later on being on this forum, seeing scores and scores of part-outs, i came to a general understanding that the 944 is dying out. keeping one running is like trying to drink coffee with a fork. not saying the stock powerplant is junk. there is a reasonable amount of power, reliability and efficiency built in, but by today's standards, overall the car is fairly dull. but the reason why the 944 doesn't exactly 'work,' isn't due to the utility of the engine, but rather the design of it's ultra-smooth, timing system. the engine's accessory components are bad enough, but, if you aren't a do-it-yourself type, for many people, it's hard to justify anything beyond weekend driving one of these cars. moreover the number people without the time or inclination to work on it themselves, but who can afford to daily drive one, have little reason to do so. more fun to just bump up to an updated Boxster, 996 or Cayman.... when a new-to-Porsche person picks one of these old cars up, they'll need to gain an almost instant awareness of the pitfalls related to a car comes with a set of crusty old belts (most people wouldn't consider 4 years old belts laying beneath the timing cover as some sort of sitting time bomb).... for any car that's been sitting. a few years isn't good, but for our cars it's a virtual disaster. think of all the 944s that, at one time or another, ended up at a used car shop, only for the owner to discover what's involved to set the car up for a proper sale. the numbers simply don't work. for the sake of having a 'Porsche,' on a used car lot, and after doing all that's required in the service manual and to keep it a safe distance from the Massachusetts Lemon Law, for his same trouble, he could have bought and sold half a dozen Boxsters.... and quite frankly, so could we.... one more thing; can you drive a 944 40 k miles without something crapping out? can you drive one away from your home and garage indefinitely? i need a car that can do that... after a 944's been through 4 owners, a 3rd dme, 2nd ps pump, 4th set of timing belts. maybe back in 1983 the cars were great, but babysitting a semi-exotic four cylinder engine that puts out 163 hp isn't exactly a reason for the automotive world to get very excited... to make matters worse, these engines are quite cumbersome to rebuild. more than most people realize. the parts cost a small fortune, and there are dozens and dozens of failed rebuilds up and down this forum... so, these are just some of the reasons i disagree with what you've said entirely.... there are also more people on this forum writing spreadsheets for parts lists for their own swaps... i happen to respect what the purists do quite a lot. nothing at all wrong with stockpiling 944 engine parts and accessories. but i believe the LS series engines have the potential to breathe a significant amount of whoopass back into these cars and do it over the long haul. between doing this and keeping turbos running strong, from an economic standpoint there's simply no contest. but they also compare favorably with the cost of keeping these crusty 944 n/a's going too..... finally, the LS thing is like priming a pump... sure it's costly and time-consuming to get started, but not only are you taking advantage of a large production; multi-billion dollar engine program, and something that won't crap out all the time, but also to put an end — once and for all — of driving something that doesn't feel like an entry-level Porsche — just what our cars need to take them to the next level..... for me it's not about popping the hood and showing somebody what's in the engine bay (maybe that's cuz i don't have the LS engine yet installed, lol). i'd much rather drive one ! as long as you do a proper install, and you're not up to be scrubbing out and driving like ***, trying to twist your driveline into a pretzel, the results will be very good.

anyone here who wouldn't kill to drive this car?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...the-cover.html

there; about gotzz it.

/
I don't want to get off topic in my own thread, but I was asking about Porsche 924S/944/951 Water pumps. Normally I don't care when you post stuff about the LSx engines or when you post about Mobil 1. Normally its quite informational. But this thread was about where people were getting their water pumps from as I am sticking with the 944 Turbo motor. Some people don't like the engine for what it is, but I DO. I love these cars. I always have. Besides the 959 the 944 Turbo is my dream car.

So next time you post in a technical thread about what kind of part people are running on their car think a little bit before you post just random ramblings about the LSx Superior engine.

I would also like to say that I'm not against the option at all. I actually like a clean conversion. Would I do it to a 944? No. Would I do it to a 924S? Hell yes no doubt. I almost did to my old 924. That was not the topic of this thread. The topic was where people are getting their water pumps from. I don't want to sound like a downer, but please unless someone is asking about the LSx engine or parts for just post what information you have about the inferior 944 engine/suspension whatever it may be. Otherwise what you are doing is basically Trolling.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Otherwise what you are doing is basically Trolling.
I know. I had to skip almost an entire page to find any useful information.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Zim's is hard to beat for quality and price. I've bought 2 in 13 years (2 different cars), both are still running strong.

Quick Reply: Water Pumps where is yours from?