Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a minty 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a minty 951

Hello all. I've been looking for a few months for the right 944 turbo and finally found this impeccable example that I picked up for a steal. The only aftermarket parts on this car are a BOV, a catback, and a low key stereo/speaker upgrade. It's got 94,000 miles on it and may have had the motor replaced at 76k. In the maintenance manual where it's stamped one of the services in addition to a new clutch and a few other things, it says "new motor". It would be very hard to prove, and in all likelihood is not a brand new motor, but probably a mirror motor or something else along those lines. The compression is perfect on all four. It looks like there must have been seat covers on this car the whole time as the interior is immaculate. It's even got a limited slip rear end.

The only real issue with it is that it was in an accident about 5 years ago and apparently the whole car got a new paint job as a result. It's not a 100% perfect paint job, but it's damn good. It couldn't have been a very bad accident because all the side and hatch glass is original.

Now, my question to all of the Porsche nuts and lovers, is what should I do with it? I'm definitely not going to strip it and turn it into a track car, but I'm not opposed to throwing some new suspension and/or go fast bits and doing the occasional track day or autocross. Is it too nice to do that to?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give it to me to add to my guards red collection
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

beautiful 951!! looks like you picked it up at a car lot. any service records or history on the car??
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

no porsche is too nice to flog at the track! go for it and have a blast!

oh and beautiful car! my turbo was guards red as well! mine was an '87, what year is yours?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:59 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Well it's sort of interesting because, yes, it was at a dealer, but then another local dealer/Porsche nut/Porsche racer picked it up. Thankfully the dealer hooked me up with his contact info and I was able to get in touch with him and purchased it from him. His name is Steve and he has a shop out of West Seattle. I'm sure he's somewhere on the forums I just haven't found him yet.

The only history I have on it so far is from the Carfax report. It's been a local Seattle car it's whole life and I believe I'm the 3rd owner. As far as service, it looks like it was dealership serviced for almost all of its life.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
no porsche is too nice to flog at the track! go for it and have a blast!

oh and beautiful car! my turbo was guards red as well! mine was an '87, what year is yours?
Haha that's what I keep hearing.

Thanks! This is a 1986 so no ABS and no airbags! My insurance company loves me.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

so we all wonder what the latest "minty" 944 turbo went for.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice.. hope you enjoy it. Do with it as you please.. either strip it down.. simply upgrade some things, or keep it bone stock. The important thing is to DRIVE it. It has too many miles to be considered a time capsule. It also seems to have no paperwork which some folks consider delightfull when getting an old car.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Originally Posted by bonus12
so we all wonder what the latest "minty" 944 turbo went for.
$8.6k. I thought it was a good deal.

Originally Posted by racer
Looks nice.. hope you enjoy it. Do with it as you please.. either strip it down.. simply upgrade some things, or keep it bone stock. The important thing is to DRIVE it. It has too many miles to be considered a time capsule. It also seems to have no paperwork which some folks consider delightfull when getting an old car.
It's been dealer serviced for 80% or more of it's life according to the service manual. I don't know who would be happy to buy a 25 year old car with no service history, so I'm not really sure or you're being facetious or what.

It also apprears to have a B&B catback which are a pretty penny so I was pretty stoked on that when I saw it.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Was this at a used car dealer off Hwy 99 in Edmonds? Then there is a mechanic who fixes these cars up in Seattle and resells it.

If this was the car in Edmonds, then I looked at it.

Take it to Fordahl Motorsports in Redmond. They know their 944s and suspension setups.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Was this at a used car dealer off Hwy 99 in Edmonds? Then there is a mechanic who fixes these cars up in Seattle and resells it.

If this was the car in Edmonds, then I looked at it.

Take it to Fordahl Motorsports in Redmond. They know their 944s and suspension setups.
Yes, sir, it sure was. Are you talking about a guy named Steve who also races a 951?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into them. I would prefer to find a place a little closer because I live further north, but I usually have to drag my happy *** down south to find anything worthwhile.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Good find. It took me well over a year to find the one.

You are fortunate to have some solid Porsche help up there. We dont have too much here in Houston in spite of 4 million people here. There are some things you can do, some you cant, and some you dont want to do. And about everything on these cars, including the hood and the roof liner I think LOL, was installed from the bottom of the car. It was going to cost me a TON to put in another shop at home with a tall lift.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Get the VIN decoded and verify engine codes if you wantto know for sure.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by derezzed
Yes, sir, it sure was. Are you talking about a guy named Steve who also races a 951?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to look into them. I would prefer to find a place a little closer because I live further north, but I usually have to drag my happy *** down south to find anything worthwhile.
I can't remember the guy's name, but he seems to be the same one.

If you do go to Greg Fordahl, please feel free to tell him that some guy with a bunch of Rothman stickers/decals on his 944 recommended him.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Find! Drive it! Don't worry about the perfect paint job, it actually looks better with tons of rock chips... :/ (My car's paint was perfect two years ago... now it has 100's of rock chips. Each One proves that i enjoy driving the car!)

You have to do some autocross, or a track day. You don't have to strip the car, or make it a worst Daily Driver though... It's a Porsche! Race it!

(do enough track days, and you will start tearing it apart to gain precious seconds though! ha ha)

Quick Reply: Just bought a minty 951