Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a minty 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car, it's a nice looking example. Sorry to hear about the issues, though that's par for the course on these things. A decent PPI and a test drive would almost surely have turned up those issues (especially the WOT fuel cut ).

Now you know, enjoy it, and rest assured you'll fine the solutions to all of your problems here
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Medski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derezzed
I'm curious to know why you think it would need $6k in work.
Doing the oil pan gasket / crankcase seal in itself is about 3k to have done not by yourself in these woods. And while having all this out, well... you check the rest, and you find more bugs, usually.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily the clutch was replaced about 25k ago, so it should be good for a while. As for everything else, the engine is nice and strong except for the aforementioned hesitation, and the tranny functions completely normally. I'm going to flush it and the diff pretty soon and add some nice redline or other high end gear oil. The throws are also incredibly long to me so a short shifter is in the works. As for the turbo I think it's probably original and in OK condition. I don't know how long that AUX pump hasn't been working but I found a nice looking one on evilBay last night and ordered it.

How deeply did you inspect it when you saw it? Did you happen to drive it when you looked at it? I'm curious to know why you think it would need $6k in work.
It may not be the Aux turbo pump but it may be the relay. The relays are not cheap, but I do have once since I went with a dry turbo. I know the relay works so if you need it, PM me and we will discuss.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

Just to throw something out there, your squeak in the back might be the spare tire or jack moving around. Good luck with the cruise control, it's a pain to diagnose.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Luckily the clutch was replaced about 25k ago, so it should be good for a while. As for everything else, the engine is nice and strong except for the aforementioned hesitation, and the tranny functions completely normally. I'm going to flush it and the diff pretty soon and add some nice redline or other high end gear oil. The throws are also incredibly long to me so a short shifter is in the works. As for the turbo I think it's probably original and in OK condition. I don't know how long that AUX pump hasn't been working but I found a nice looking one on evilBay last night and ordered it.

How deeply did you inspect it when you saw it? Did you happen to drive it when you looked at it? I'm curious to know why you think it would need $6k in work.
$6K = timing belt, water pump, oil leaks (pan, power steering?, etc.), complete fluids replacement, tires, provision for brakes, hose replacements, HVAC service, provision for turbo work. Being **** about driving reliable and mint condition cars (particularly this car didn't seem to have records), I figured that things would simply add up when you have an independent shop doing the work. Then, the paint work still would have bugged me until I addressed it.

I didn't take the next step of driving it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha that's what I keep hearing.

Thanks! This is a 1986 so no ABS and no airbags! My insurance company loves me.
Welcome aboard and count your blessings! My ABS has an interment miss, hit a bump sometimes and you get"sorry that system is currently unavialiable!"
And the air bag wheels are expansive to change out.

Beautiful car congrats!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But wait, there's more. It's all fine and dandy until I hit 4000 RPM while WOT, then it seems to cut the fuel. I've been dong some research and I'm going to check out the lines attached to the wastegate, then the cycling valve. If those two things check out, I'm all out of ideas. Oh, and I keep finding places where the paint job is less than satisfactory. They didn't even bother to remove the windshield washer nozzles. Which reminds me, those don't work either.

All-in-all, I'm sort of regretting buying this "minty" car. *Sigh*...
4k sounds like the Throttle body to hard pipe (inter cooler) coupleling hose. They pop off quite often. I'd go ahead and replace it.

It's very likely that it has worked it's way lose way under your care. Doubtful it was off during a test drive because there is no performance when it c omes loose!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car and sorry for your woes. I just bought my own "minty" version of an 87 951 and even after PPI indicating some issues, I took it anyway. I have a small exhaust leak on the little curved pipe that comes out of the wastegate, and of course it's keeping me from getting full boost. The car has only 57000 miles on it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Even at the price I paid (and yes more than most would pay, but as mentioned earlier, it all depends on what it's worth to the buyer) I anticipated having to do things. I immediately ordered a 100% rubber hose/vacuum kit/injector seals for the car as step one to restoration.

Even though I'm only getting partial boost, this model car is awesome. Once you have all the bugs worked out, you'll have a blast. Don't let it get you down.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
derezzed
Track Day

Originally Posted by mclaudio
$6K = timing belt, water pump, oil leaks (pan, power steering?, etc.), complete fluids replacement, tires, provision for brakes, hose replacements, HVAC service, provision for turbo work. Being **** about driving reliable and mint condition cars (particularly this car didn't seem to have records), I figured that things would simply add up when you have an independent shop doing the work. Then, the paint work still would have bugged me until I addressed it.

I didn't take the next step of driving it.
I was surprised it didn't come with any records save a few dealer stamps because it is in overall great shape. I plan on getting in contact with the original owner to see if he can provide me with them or at least some more insight. Amazingly, this thing is as tight as a drum. No leaks anywhere and the A/C works. It seems like those two things almost never happen on these cars. Hoses all look good from the top, but I still need to get it up on a lift to check everything out. The brakes have some newish looking aftermarket drilled rotors on all four corners, and the tires appear to be in great shape with lots of tread. Haven't checked the pads yet but that's a 30 minute job. Yeah, the paint does need some help. I'm not familiar at all with paintwork, but I hope it will be less than $500 to fix the nasty spots.

Quick Reply: Just bought a minty 951