Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping engine. Transmission WYIT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dropping engine. Transmission WYIT?

I'm dropping the engine (again) to fix the blown turbo. It's only done 1k miles since ALL seals and gaskets apart from the HG were done so I'm not doing engine work, but I was wondering what preventive maintenance should be done to the transmission and torque tube? It's a 1990 turbo box and the car has done 63K miles. I have some bearing whine which I have been unable to locate which could be transmission or TT.

It will be easy to drop the transmission with the engine out of the car, and the gear carrier is developing a small oil leak so I will split it and reseal with Loctite 574. Is there anything else, like bearings and seals, that can easily be replaced on the transmission when i have it open?
Should I get a new stock mount or simply fill the old one with polyurethane caulk?
What about the TT? It seems like a huge job. Isn't 63K to early for changing the bearings?

Suggestions are welcome!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...very-nice.html

as for the trans, change the fluid (redline mt-90) and check the seals for leaks
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Those bearings look nice, but would you expect to have to change them at 63k miles?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you drop the motor to swap the turbo out?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I'm sick of banging my knuckles, loosing skin, stooping over the engine bay for hours ruining my back, swearing uncontrollably, losing nuts that just won't get started and trying again only to lose them again for the 80th. + time, fighting to get the x-pipe line up with the header etc. etc.

(Besides, I need to re-seal the oil pump to the cranck case as I botched it the first time. Since this means removing the x-member I figure I might as well make things easy for myself and pull the engine. This will give me the opportunity to fix a few other things like installing a wide fire HG, a new larger oil cooler and resealing the transmission at case at the same time).

Last edited by bebbetufs; 08-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

We are talking about a 951 right?

Last time I was under mine and under the hood of mine the turbo was just under the intake manifold and nowhere near the transmission!!

There is no relationship of the transmission to the engine as far as ease of getting it in or out. Seems like 1000X more work than needs to be done for this job.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I understand where you're coming from and in almost all circumstances I would agree. I should have been more clear and said that I'm dropping the engine to reseal the oil pump AND to change the turbo AND to change the HG ++.

I do not consider it to be 1000x more work. It is clearly more work as it involves more components, but in easier steps so the total time should not be much higher. I have done this before, this is the third time the turbo blows in as many years for unrelated reasons. I would not drop the engine to swap the turbo, but since the x-member needs to come out to drop the oil pan I might as well. As I have a few WYIT things to get done I might as well drop the engine. To me removing the x-member is the decisive factor.

The transmission is easier to get out once the engine is out as the torque tube can easily be pulled out of the way.

So to return on topic; would you say any preventive maintenance should be done to the transmission and torque tube? Should any bearings be replaced or should I just wait for them to go bad before I do them? How many road miles would you expect out of these components before they need to be serviced? Is there a way to check the torque tube bearings for wear?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 08-31-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Bad reasoning...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

The TT bearings never really fail as far as I know. They just get louder and louder! Until they annoy you so much that you have to change them. (a form of them failing, yes, but it's not like it strands you on the side of the road)

I've rebuilt the TT and had my transmission out several times. Sliding the TT forward would make little difference in the experience.

Getting if you are going to have it all out anyway, may as well do the TT! Best time to get it out.

Good luck! Why so many turbos?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Sliding the TT forward would make little difference in the experience
I admit I've never removed the transmission. I thought sliding the TT forward, or the transmission back was necassary to free the shaftt? I believe I've read posts from guys who have dented the spare wheel well to be able to slide the box back far enough to free it. I have about 3/4 inch clearance between the wheel well and the gear carrier. Would that be enough?

Good luck! Why so many turbos?
Thanks.
Various reasons. First was a wayward washer. I found it inside the j-boot 3 days after I bought the car. PO must have lost it in there. Second was my failed attempt at a rebuild, it is expensive to be cheap. Third is undetermined. I'll guess I'll find out as soon though.

Quick Reply: Dropping engine. Transmission WYIT?