Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No good 944's left?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Go racing... it make street driving even a nice turbo raher ho-hum. Driving my Turbo S on street is fun and all, but racing my 944 spec car is another level of fun.
You know I am going to give it a go.

Heck I could have been racing for the past 4 years and some odd but I was putting a big son through college up the road here. Now he is working and soon I can get him off my payroll as he does not have loans , other than me of course ! If I can get him to pay me back for ALL of that, man I will have a heck of race car set up.

Seriously now that I am in the home stretch on the street 951 I would like to complete it and have it just about as perfect as it can be with 91,000 miles on it. Then I can get to the racing build. If I run short on money I guess I can see what an almost perfect 951 street car is really worth !
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
CatsEyes
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i'll tell you now if somone sees someone buy a 944 for 4k then someone else will want one for 4 k and it goes on, value goes down. and people treat them like ****.

in australia asking price for a 944 na is 10k a good one can go for 15k and thats usually why they stay in good cond because you've bought a decent 944 and paid better money for it and you would want to maintain it. the value stays
I'm a new member (over from Pelican), and catching up on this thread. The Australian comparison's a good one, I think.

I paid $12K Australian for my 1986 NA a year ago. It took ages to find: they're quite rare here. In one of the hottest countries in the Western world it still has perfect dash and the paintwork is near-factory. It was molly-coddled for most of its life, and only neglected by cheapskate POs over the last few years. (Of ocurse, it has its share of issues, but I won't bore you with those.)

If most of the market in the US looked like that, I imagine values would stay high as well. Put simply: my impression is the market there is dominated by poorly-maintained cars that have been owned too long by people who just wanted the badge, and didn't care for them properly.

So yes, keep parting out those sick old ones! And give TLC to the good ones!
Old 11-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Flea3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its definitely getting harder. I have been looking for a low mile S2 for about a year. Everything I have looked at has a least 100k, no records or its tore up. I exclude black from my search. I am going to 911's after I find this one last 944. Much better availability. Its just time. The cars are becoming too rare to deal with.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:50 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Flea3
Its definitely getting harder. I have been looking for a low mile S2 for about a year. Everything I have looked at has a least 100k, no records or its tore up. I exclude black from my search. I am going to 911's after I find this one last 944. Much better availability. Its just time. The cars are becoming too rare to deal with.
What's considered "low miles?" I've never seen an S2 under 50k miles, and even under 90k is pretty rare. It seems like it's easier to find a low mileage Turbo S than an S2 coupe.

The used car speculators have caught on to the Turbo and S2 944's, which means it's going to get a lot more expensive to buy one; those vultures (and they are vultures - if you've ever watched Chasing Classic Cars, you'll see what shysters they are) are now listing Turbo S's for $30k+, and nice S2's in the $20's.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

If you rule out cars with over 100k miles you won't find much of anything simply due to age.
And you are doing yourself and the cars a disservice by thinking that over 100k miles is going to be an issue - if the cars have been maintained over the years (and any chimp with a hammer can maintain a 944...there really isn't anything that hard about them) they will last 200-300,000 miles or more.

They go bad because people are either idiots regarding maintenance, try to fix what ain't broke, or simply don't care.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:56 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Amen
Old 11-11-2016, 01:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I would absolutely choose a high mileage but clean car over a very low mileage one.

You know the high mileage car has been driven and maintained to make it that far.

The low mileage car likely sat mothballed most of it's life.

Rubber and mechanical things generally need to be used to survive IMO.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

My 84 NA just hit 124k miles this week. I just took her on a 600 mile, one day drive to visit my dad in NJ (coming from Mass.) and she didn't skip a beat. The car is very close to 100% with a continual maintenance/restoration program in place. I'm so far upside down with her that I just don't care at this point. Unless someone offers me stupid money, I'll plan on keeping her for a long time.

I admit that I do spend time researching the market and see many junk 944's for sale, wishing I could rescue some/all of them. I wonder how many registered units are left in the USA?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:57 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no preconceived notions I'll ever enter my 944 in a concours. for those of you that can - God bless! I think a beautiful example are fantastic however my vision is a dd that I can park in a close space next to other cars to load up the cooler on my the next AX.

Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised to values to go up. my teenage daughter and her friends really love the flip up lights and occasionally I catch the younger men taking an extended gaze at it. it really is different than anything else on the road and to the millineals who never saw risky business, they think it's a cool old car squinting at the badge to make out the mfg.

style transcends cracked dashes! kind of like that worn out saddle that the cowboy insists on riding for decades.

for everyone reading this thread I hope your love affair with these cars doesn't end, and if it does, it ends by choice and nothing else. reminds me of the old slogan that goes something like "Porsche - not a car for everybody, but for somebody" AMEN Professor ! !
Old 11-12-2016, 03:10 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Five years from now, the good, rare, stock versions of the 944 will be worth double or triple what they are now. Coupe S2s, unmolested Turbo Ss, in strong condition with <100,000. They are just too good of cars - very drivable, very reliable (when maintained), and nostalgic, sentimental looks - and there are just too few of them left. Not that that will change what I do with mine, but I'm keeping anything I take off of it.

There ten years ago you could have gotten a good 356 for $15k.

Quick Reply: No good 944's left?