Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Turbo early or late offset ? instal on 87 NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 AM
FRANCOCORPS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 AM
FRANCOCORPS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Old thread but for clarification there is a difference between 86 & 87 spindles. Because of the offset change the angle the hubs sit on the spindles are different by about 4 degrees. This is logical if you think about it, if you push the center of the wheel out (early to late) the top of the wheel will push in (more negative camber). The angle change at the spindle corrects this.

There isn't enough adjustment on the stock camber eccentrics to correct this but you can workaround it by fitting camber plates.

You can clearly see the angle change in this picture:

Swapping the whole assembly over (struts, hubs, spindles, calipers, lines, rack & arms) will work but I have to ask why? Are you putting the na calipers on the 951?
. I was trying to to obtain an unique offset to use different type offset rims so no need for to thick wheel spacers. I was going to use and keep the 951 calipers and spindle and strut. But i ended up just keeping my early offset Since I have the 1986 951. I like dish rims so I'll keep this setting and keep using my hub centric spacers with there own lugs to use on my Boxter S 17" rims. Long story short I ended up just restoring 951 separate from my 1987 Porsche 944 n/a. I know most people like the late offset because of the radius scrub for the geometry of the alignment. I put ground control camber plates on top so if i use different rims i can adjust the camber. Plus i have fully adjustable coil overs all around with the ride height adjustment and the rear has the racer edge perch for the spherical bearing. Before this when i used spacers it seems to give me more negative camber. I like to have a little less negative camber so i can get longer even tire life here in Los Angele's since its my daily driver. I did also update the caster blocks to later style.

Last edited by FRANCOCORPS; 07-25-2015 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 86 Turbo early or late offset ? instal on 87 NA