Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Control vs Racer's Edge Camber Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ground Control vs Racer's Edge Camber Plates?

I've got Racer's Edge camber plates and the spherical bearings on the passenger side are shot, with the driver side not far behind.

I could send these back to Racer's Edge for replacement bearings but these don't have that many miles on them so I'm not sure I want to go down that route again.

Are the Ground Control camber plates, with the needle bearings, a more robust option?

Part of the short lifespace of the Racer's Edge units may have been due to the unbelievably harsh intrax setup I tried out that has since been dialed down to more reasonable spring and damper rates.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the visible damage happening at the steel-to-steel spherical contact, imagine whats happening at the steel-to-alloy ball-joint socket.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Yep. I've already replaced the ball joints. Fortunately I'm running Blaszak steel control arms which makes the balljoint swap very easy.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Same reason I designed my own arms with the early ball-joints
You're just going to have to replace the sphericals now and then and hope that all the harsh stress is now not being transfered to the spot-welded rear control arm nuts that are inside the body
Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Well, now that the suspension is no longer harsh, I'd hope I don't have to worry about that.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just removed my Ground Control ones and put on Racers Edge ones. RE ones ars MUCH beefier. The GC ones also have a shoddy caster adjust which is more detremental than helpful. The RE ones allow for full travel and a favorable instant center. The RE ones are also about twice as thick. The GC units "feel" like they have more slop in them, but that can't really be confirmed without measuring equipment.

I will be putting the GC ones on my street car. But they just don't seem robust enough for a track application.

If I were you, I would send them back. Karl stands behind his stuff. Unless you want to swap them straight up for my GC's! :-)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Now that's an interesting idea... It might be worth the swap just to keep the car mobile if you can be patient while I swap them out.

I'm happy to send the plates back to Karl but I have one of those NYC situations where there's no convenient place to immobilize the car while it's in pieces.

But what I'm hearing from you is that I should refurb my RE units rather than go with new GC's.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Just removed my Ground Control ones and put on Racers Edge ones. RE ones ars MUCH beefier. The GC ones also have a shoddy caster adjust which is more detremental than helpful. The RE ones allow for full travel and a favorable instant center. The RE ones are also about twice as thick.

If I were you, I would send them back. Karl stands behind his stuff. Unless you want to swap them straight up for my GC's! :-)
+1. Karl can then diagnose why they failed early - might not be what you expect.

40,000km on mine and counting.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
may have been due to the unbelievably harsh intrax setup I tried out that has since been dialed down to more reasonable spring and damper rates.
Yikes - how are your strut towers? Any cracking? Have you had them reinforced?

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what sort of spring rates were you running?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

It's a long story and will involve a well known vendor here who advised me to trust what intrax shipped for a street/track car.

I don't want to get into it but needless to say it was completely wrong. they were 750 in front.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen... Racer's Edge. I will be removing my existing plates and getting theirs at some point in the future.

Quick Reply: Ground Control vs Racer's Edge Camber Plates?