Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another one bites the dust. (wrecked)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Man I am sorry to hear this for you. Houston drivers have been getting worse, worse and worse for some years. I am glad you arent seriously hurt and hope you dont have any other injury.

I have said several times recently that I hope my 951 does not get mangled. After my insurance company upped my value to over $20,000 and with the Kelly book at only $8,000 or so I know it means some trouble if it is whacked.

Anyway I hope you get it all done without too much hassle and that it comes out favorable for you. As I said in another thread here Arominus car got hit I had all kinds of hell when my sons year old car was rear ended. But I hope it is better for you.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
I'm ok, I think. No broken bones or anything, probably will just be a little sore. My upper back is feeling a little sore, not sure if I should go to the hospital to get it checked out or not, probably will.
Definitely go to the hospital! Definitely get checked out! The insurance will try to settle as quickly as possible if you don't because, as soon as you sign the settlement, they're completely off the hook for any current or future medical expenses.

FWIW, I got hit (a LOT harder) in a 85.5 NA and it was totaled. And I was moderately injured. The car was not really modded, but I had just resealed the engine and PS system, it didn't leak a drop, the odometer had just passed 100k miles the day before and it ran like a top. Looked pretty good too. The insurance's first offer was $1100. Needless to say, I didn't take it. Over the next THREE YEARS I fought them with a lawyer and, finally, they gave me a whopping $8k. That was for the car, my pain & suffering, and (if you ask me) for being 3 years without a 944.

If you have a place to keep the car for a while, I would let the ins. total it, and then buy the salvage on it... it shouldn't be much... and then part it, or save what's good for your next one.

I don't mean to scare you with my story, but you should be ready for a battle... I truly hope it doesn't come to it, but you should expect it.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 years? Damn. Well hopefully my story ends a little better than yours, but I'll be ready to lawyer up if needed.

BTW, hospital xrays came back with no broken bones, but as others have pointed out, that doesn't mean a thing. Only time will tell on whether there's muscle damage or nerve damage and etc. Definitely won't be signing any medical release wavier for a while.

Last edited by onspeed; 07-23-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hope you will be ok.

In regards to e85 , you could crank up the fuel pressure and use teh stock parts.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

3 years? Damn. Well hopefully my story ends a little better than yours, but I'll be ready to lawyer up if needed.

BTW, hospital xrays came back fine, but as others have pointed out, that doesn't mean a thing. Only time will tell on whether there's muscle damage or nerve damage and etc. Definitely won't be signing any medical release wavier for a while.
Yeah the other guys insurance company lowballed me out of $10,000 on my sons car. I went to a great insurance lawyer in town. His fee would be about $10,000 to start and he said it would take 1-2 years. Plus all the mess of depositions, court, etc for my college son.

This is not a fun process. But I hope it comes out alright for you. Remember you can split your claim into the property and bodily injury should it help. I held the injury claim open as long as possible and as long as was legal.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got so lucky, it only took them 10 days to get the settlement for the car all done and I feel like I got a fair deal. I got exactly what my 924 was worth and I didn't get hurt. I've done a few rides on my mountain bike since the accident and had no pain. During the entire process the car never left my house so none of my goodies disappeared. I have been waiting for the dust to settle but now I can start pulling parts of the car.

Usaa was extremely supportive of my drive to get checked out and the injury side of my claim is open still. They did not try to get me to sign anything that would cut that off early. So once again, so lucky. I hope your claim goes as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

They won't even check if it runs etc just make it looks complete. My mom had a 57k mile 86 turbo that caught fire 2 years ago we had a hell of a time getting decent money for it from insurance. They tried to argue that there was no way it only had those miles being a 86. We finally got ok money out of it but not what I felt was right. I argued that she should be compensated enough to buy another comparable car.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM
carlege
Drifting

Not sure if this is morally wrong but i would hold it over their heads that you havent signed a medical release waiver and that as long as they offered what they offered it wont be signed. In order to play hard ball you gotta be willing to use every tactic in the book.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 944S2 that was totalled some years back. I haggled with the insurance company, and they eventually included many of the upgrade costs, but only because I was able to provide receipts. I ended up buying it back at a nominal cost, and then removed all the usable parts myself; some I kept, some were sold.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad your OK, sorry to hear of your loss. Good luck on the salvage / payment.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck. Curious to see how you make out with insurance. Like you said, you lose no matter what, you're unlikely to find another one that nice.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

BTW, hospital xrays came back fine, but as others have pointed out, that doesn't mean a thing. Only time will tell on whether there's muscle damage or nerve damage and etc. Definitely won't be signing any medical release wavier for a while.
I may be able to help you with a letter to the insurance company about the ramifications of the whiplash injury to the future health of your cervical spine

BTW do you need early or late offset wheels?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Car is 86, so early offset. But as long as the wheels will actually mount on the car, I don't think it matters.

Last edited by onspeed; 07-23-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn shame you didn't put it in reverse and slam the S.O.B! It's sacriligious (sp) to have a great 944 folded by an idiot! He was probably driving a K-car.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Strip it (my 968 cab was totalled two years ago Nov, rear-ended at >25 MPH)... Went and swapped the cup IIs for the old set, took mirrors, no real enging mods. Those mods aren't considered in the settlement anyhow.

Quick Reply: another one bites the dust. (wrecked)