Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 924s got rear ended by a "distracted" driver today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I know exactly how you feel! My first 944, an 85.5 with 96k miles met it's end on the front bumper of a Toyota Tacoma when the driver decided to take a nap while driving and came across two lanes into her...

It took almost 3 years fighting the insurance with a lawyer to get them to pay me anything worth a $h!t. xsboost90 is right, don't take the first thing they offer! Their first offer to me was $1100! I had more than that in medical bills!

Also, definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY, go see a doctor! Even if you feel fine now. The second you settle with the insurance company, you're on your own for any medical issues that may arise... I felt pretty ok after my wreck, but now.. about 4 years later, the little aches and pains that started in the months after my wreck are still there, and getting worse with time....

If you'd like, you're welcome to PM me, I've had some recent experience with this, and I'm more than willing to help.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HICKS
Did this happen on constitution? Man, sorry for your loss!
Yeah it did actually, did i make the police blotter? Ill have to look.

Blown 944, ill keep you in mind, as i see someone wants a low drag spoiler
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turning off from constitution sucks, and the pic looks like the houses off constitution, I live down the street...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

why was she going 40 in your hood

sorry for your loss, good to see you're in a good attitude though. the spirit can live on.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

should be like, a $1,000 fine for the driver. sorry for your loss, but glad to hear you're ok.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear that this happened but I'm glad you're ok. I hope that you're made whole during all of this!

BB.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very glad your health is in good standards. Usually a day or two after you may begin noticing something like sore neck/shoulders/back. Get that taken care of immediately and document EVERYTHING!

Insurance company will try to lowball you everytime!

Cars are always replaceable and very soon you'll be back on the road

It's crazy out there at times when you realize how distracted drivers can become. I have seen the followings in action while on the road

SMS/texting
Reading
Shaving
Putting on makeup
Hair combing
Sleeping
Watch T.V.
Looking for items under car front/rear seat
Eating with both hands

Stay the hell away from those drivers if at all possible. Give them space to do what they are going to do.

Last edited by Toran; 07-11-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO go see a doctor. DO NOT take the first insurance offer. DO buy it back, rebuild another one better.
I did and happy I did it. Actually came out ahead after I argued long enough with the cheap *** insurance company that I won't mention............Progressive..........oops, that slipped out.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As expected i woke up with a bit of a sore neck/shoulders today, i've got a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to get checked out. Thanks for all the great advice guys, i really appreciate it.

V2, the road this occurred on has a speed limit of 40, sadly it has turned into a bit of a east/west crosstown highway over the years so im lucky she was only going that fast, its 4 lanes with a center turn lane. The turn lane where i needed to get into the driveway was occupied by cars coming from the other direction that wanted to turn left at a road that dead ends into the exit of the house i was turning into, the entrance is 50 ft from that turn. I was forced out of the turn lane by those turning cars back into the normal lanes of traffic (people are dicks about turning left at oro blanco). About 20 seconds after that i was hit, the driver admitted to the officer that she was distracted and didn't notice me. Sad thing is the right lane was totally open so had she been paying attention she could have easily changed lanes and gone around or stopped.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

You forgot doing crossword puzzels.

One of my buddies was on his motorcycle the other day. Thankfully he has reflexs and was able to miss this a-hole. When he passed her making a not do friendly gesture she didn't even look at him so busy she was doing a crossword or something simular.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry it happened. Glad you are ok for now.

I hate to say this. My son got rearended badly in his 18 month old Pontiac car a while back. Destroyed the car. Hurt him some but he is big ol boy. The driver was super apologetic driving a Ford 250. Insured by USAA. He was stopped at a light in a long line of cars. F250 going over 45mph at impact. Knoocked the hell out of him and a F250 in his back seat. Driver got ticketed too.

The claim was a crap terrible process. USAA shafted me all the way around. I had to get a top notch Houston attorney to even get anything reasonable. They even fought the rental car. And as far as their offer on his injury - zero other than re-imbursement. And he did later have some pain later. They drilled us about $10,000 and zero on the bodily. Anyway as he was a college student at the time I would have had to shuffle him in for doctors, for depostions, etc all the time for about a year according to my attorney. A good lawyers retainer was $10,000 to start too. So you see where this is going.

So I ate 5,000 direct on his car and bought him a new car and had to put 5,000 down that day. It was a 10,000 day anyway you look at it.

At least he was not seriously hurt and recovered. I separated the claims for car and body and at least had my attorney file them. After they paid on the car they called to get a release on the body injury. I told them nicely to FO and to call my attorney. I told him to hold the bodily injury claim until it absolutely expires by law. I wanted to go slap some insurance guys around at the end of this. I had paid off a lot of his car which I bougth new so essentailly we got less than 50% of his car! And so much for the injury. But at least he was not hurt wprse.

I bought the replacement insurance on the new car. Never needed it before on a lower valued car. Always buy it on new Porsche GT3 if you get one !

I hope your experience is better. Get them for me if you can.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

saw a guy playing the flute with both hands once on I95 driving the Richmond, VA. That was an interesting lookin guy...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
saw a guy playing the flute with both hands once on I95 driving the Richmond, VA. That was an interesting lookin guy...
WTF?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I was driving down I90 in WA a few years back and there was this dude in an old, ratty F250 swerving all over the place while having a heated, flailing argument with someone who wasn't there... at first, I thought he was on the phone or something, but when I passed him (quickly) I could find no evidence of a phone.

A bit down the road, I stopped at a Flying-J and not 5 minutes later, the same dude comes into the store (still arguing with no one) and buys a case of Busch Ice. I saw him get back into his truck, look around to see if anyone was watching, and then proceed to pour about 3 cans of beer into an enormous travel mug, take a few swigs and drive off...

I wrote down his plate number and called the cops... I hope they nailed that fu#$*r to the wall!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Dante should have added "traffic violation" as one of his stages of hell.
Glad your ok, not so glad that ANOTHER 924 bit the bullet, mine got bumped a couple weeks back, nowhere near as bad, guess im lucky. good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: My 924s got rear ended by a "distracted" driver today.