Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission/transaxle reinstall problems help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission/transaxle reinstall problems help!

ok I got the new gas tank in there and I am trying to reinstall the transmission/transaxle , three bell house bolts line up frame supports brackets line up but something ain't right :b anghead::ban ghead:

the passenger side top bolt form transaxle to bell house will not line up start or the two half's seal at all and the spline shaft feels like it is off maybe 1/8" or so and the only place anything is pushing or touching is the dust tube that goes through for the shifter arm

Ok what am I missing or do wrong ????????????????????????????????
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

ditch the dust tube, it wastes SO much time for no real benefit. without fighting that tube i can now get a trans off and back on in less than 30 minutes.

also, check if the torque tube shaft moved back..if so, you can adjust it finely with a hammer
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah Spencer brings up a couple of good points.... I wouldn't ditch the dust cover tube, but I would be SO tempted to. I hate that damn thing, and it is the worst part of R&Ring the transaxle.

The driveshaft does sometimes move (forward) so if you can't get both of the coupler bolts to go in, first put in the one for the driveshaft, then hit the coupler with a hammer/drift to move the driveshaft back so the coupler hole lines up with the groove in the tranny mainshaft again.

Getting the top of the bellhousings to mate flush can be tricky. Have you noticed the dowel pin up there? Try lossening everything and wiggling it so the dowel pin can seat properly into the hole.

I've heard the gas tank is THE hardest part to change on the 944..... I'm sorry! What was wrong with yours?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

ya who ever designed the gas tank location and how to remove it must have been in a several bad mood that day to cause this much trouble the bottom of mine was rusted out and I tried patches but just the whole bottom came lose

dust tube was a little extra work to line up but in there now , yes I noticed the dowels in the top on the drivers side it seats fine but not on the passenger side and the coupler tube on the splined shaft slides back and forth but not onto the froward drive shaft, go back out there in a little bit to try again I will look at that dust tube again to
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TIP:
The dust tube has a notch on each end. Remove one of the notches to slide the black plastic tube forward (over the shift rod) in the transaxle bell housing (toward the shift lever). Lift the transaxle--bolt it in---slide the black plastic tube to the rear and put a goop of silicone sealer on the outside of the black tube where it enters the bell housing.

EASY

John
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similiar issue with mine... I think i ended up loosening or removing all the bolts and putting the top bolts in first..

Really it just comes down to patients, and wiggling...
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

john ,
easy .... ya right nothing about this car has been easy ...lol

pnbell,
I just came back in I finally got it basically that's what I did I removed all the bolts and the frame support bolts pulled the trans axle back just far enough the dust tube didn't come out then put a bottle jack on the forward bell house on the passenger side to twist it just a little bit , I put the problem bolt in first then the restarted and tightened it down followed by the other three bolts and frame bolts

thanks for the input everyone the 944 is back together should be able to drive her to work tomorrow now to figure out the fuel problem on the 924

Last edited by goldhunter_2; 06-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

well thats what i get for thinking its fixed

I tested drove the 944 and seemed ok but a little rough I figured that was normal until I had time to clean the injectors but my son had problems driving to work today it would not start back up at the gas station and i just came form there a hour later and still will not start going to load on trailer tonight and bring home, he did say it seems like he is having to rev the engine real high or it dies out and the engine was hot when I got there.

during the transaxle reinstall I marked the coupler and the forward spline shaft but while moving it around the coupler fell off the rear spline shaft and I thought I put it straight back on there but maybe not........... is it possible that if I got it off a few teeth it would cause this type of problem?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

no, it doesn't matter what orientation you put the coupler on, as long as the right splines are on their respective ends

revving to keep it alive is another problem altogether.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

I thought the book had said somewhere to mark the spline and couple so they line up (but can't find it now) but your saying as long as the coupler fits then its ok

any ideas what to look at?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

ya I found it in the haynes Manuel #12 (chapter 7 page 127) says "mark the relationship of the drive shaft splines and transmission coupler for re-installation in the same position" but doesn't say anything about if you don't have marks or it fell off or if it would have any effect
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Usually when I replace the transaxle I slip in the trans, bolt the 4 bolts on the tranny bellhousing, bolt in the mount(s), then slip the coupler on (if it doesn't go on move the tranny input shaft and try to slide it back on, in the past I have had to move it rather quickly, or if you can have someone press the clutch pedal so both splines would move), connect the backup light, connect the speedo, connect the shift linkage, attach the axles. You really don't need to mark anything since orientation doesn't really matter as long as the pinch bolts line up. I've had mine move on me before so I attached the tt shaft first then used a pry bar and pulled the coupler until the tranny side pinch bolt went in.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

ok I guess I am to worried that the couple had fallen off competently and may not be in the same spot once I put it back on ....................... so the problem must be something else does anyone have any ideas what to check ????
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you slide the coupler on in any orientation on the transaxle input shaft, it is fine. Get the transaxle bolted into place first, sounds like the whole thing is rotating on you, which is making lining up the bolt holes hard.

Once the tranny is attached, if you still can't line up the splines to the front driveshaft, take a piece of rope and loop it around the shaft and pull down on the shaft from the bottom, then try sliding the coupler on. I have seen a lot of shafts that are just a hair too high to easily slide the coupler on, and the rope trick works well.

Once you get the coupler slide into place, make sure you start both bolts in the holes/threads before torquing them down. I always start the front bolt first, that way if the rear bolt groove doesn't quite line up, you can manipulate the shaft forward are rearward with a pry bar as you need to allow it to line up.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM
goldhunter_2
Advanced

yep I already have the transaxle bolted back up and the coupler connected drove it last night around the block seemed ok but today my son got stranded at a gas station I am going up with the trailer in about a hour to get the car it was revving high to stay running then just won't start after he filled up with gas I tried to start it about a hour later when I got there and still would not start

Quick Reply: transmission/transaxle reinstall problems help!