Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove new Mustang... SO disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
BryO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

From someone that has owned, MG's, Alpha's, Triumph's and even a few Mustangs and even a Crapmaro. I ran the Mustang in Solo 2 and no matter how much money I put in the things, she never came close to out handling the Euro cars.

Now, in a straight line these cars are great. Apples and Oranges and made for different groups of people.

The V8's do sound good, but the feel of driving my 51 beats them all.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We own 2 Mustangs. IMHO they are not sport cars, they are mondern muscle cars and I have to view them in that light. And yes they are honestly faster in straight line than my NA. And while I do like the '07 convertible, handling wise it still does not compare to my 944. And in the corners I could smoke either one of them.

They are fun but a different kind of fun. Yes they do feel huge in comparrison.

I have not driven the newest Mustang yet, but I do recall seeing a cover of Car and Driver where they were comparing the new Mustang as an answer to the BMW. If I am incorrect to the point of the article someone please correct me. I did not read the article, no matter what the verdict was I could not understand how the hell car 'experts' from C&D were comparing the two. In my eyes it was not like comparing apples and oranges but more like apples and watermelons, they are barely in the same food group to me.

michael
Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F40LM
I have not driven the newest Mustang yet, but I do recall seeing a cover of Car and Driver where they were comparing the new Mustang as an answer to the BMW. If I am incorrect to the point of the article someone please correct me. I did not read the article, no matter what the verdict was I could not understand how the hell car 'experts' from C&D were comparing the two. In my eyes it was not like comparing apples and oranges but more like apples and watermelons, they are barely in the same food group to me.

michael
I don't get it. Honestly, I don't. It shows that the biggest problem with the Mustang is that has an image problem that it just can't overcome. I suppose it was earned, particularly in the 90's and early 2000's with the awful SN95 (which dated back to the 77 Fairmont, chassis-wise). But it is a great car. Why can't folks just see it for what it is?

The M3 was squarely in the crosshairs of the new Boss 302. Ford made this known from the onset. It trounced the M3 (ref: http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html). Turns out that the base Mustang GT is a formidable opponent. And if you get one with the Brembo package (which is rare), the GT is all that much better.

Again, it is what it is. A great performer, ESPECIALLY for the cost, regardless of the label. Why try to turn it into something it clearly is not?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the worst part about a Mustang is the owner
Just speaking from experience

Love the coyote engine though, it really is something

Quick Reply: Drove new Mustang... SO disappointing