Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove new Mustang... SO disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amen....my buddy has a 99 gt and he has rode in the 951 couple of times. Finally i heard him say that he doesn't want his *** handed to him from a 4-banger. All i can say is atleast he is honest........or scared...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterfaster
(why would a sports car ever be that big?)
The Mustang has never and will never be a sports car.

For starters, nobody in their right mind would consider any vehicle with a solid live axle a sports car.

You need to become more familiar with muscle cars and more specifically, Pony cars.

The original Mustang was a re-bodied Falcon.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I think most of the blame goes to the American retards, which generally perceives big as safe and small as unsafe. In a land where half the vehicles on the road are full-size trucks and SUV's, I believe many buyers view bigger-size/increased-weight as positives, even in supposed sports cars.

I have had various friends and relatives comment on how exposed they feel riding in one of my Porsches. Most American drivers are not enthusiasts, and they are perfectly happy in a "sports car" that is actually a land yacht as long as it has plenty of horsepower and looks cool. If it weighs closer to 4K lbs than 3K lbs, then that's a bonus for them.
FIFY
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
Someone else mentioned it...but the only way anyone would get me in a Mustang (a new one anyway) would be if it was a Shelby...GT500 preferably.
I've been behind the wheel of the GT500 and I didn't like it either. The motor is phenomenal and some of the bits and pieces are pretty nice, but they only account for about 30%. The rest of the car is pretty bad. The rear hops all over the place, the steering has way too much feedback, the shifter is vague, and the clutch sucks (the engagement is way up at the very end of its travel). If you're driving it hard in a straight line its awesome. Its easy to shift fast and abuse the thing, but when I was just cruising around in it I could never quite get comfortable with it.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kombatrok
Hey now ... I have a '64 Falcon, the interior is pretty decent in a simplistic sort if way. And even though the way it drives can't compare to a 944 at all, I enjoy driving it more and get more looks and compliments. Sometimes it doesn't matter what the car feels like behind the wheel...
LOL, I learned to drive in my mother's '64 Comet 4-dr 200-6 w/2-sp slush-o-matic. I know what you mean, the driving experience doesn't have to be about going fast or sliding corners. When I drive my '52, I take about 5 seconds to row the 3-on-the-tree from 1st to 2nd. It rides like an old truck (because it is) and rattles, but it's more fun than driving a Ferrari. Anyone who says it isn't, hasn't tried it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was given a rental Mustang in San Francisco about two years ago. It was really hard to park, and I found it really difficult to tell when I was in my lane on the highway. I didn't enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
JnJNY
Advanced

Not really a Mustang fan, but it is not a sports car... Maybe Sporty is more like it, especially in base form.

However, it is the lightest of the three retro muscle car/pony cars.

It does very well in autocross, so the suspension is not that bad (Shelby/GT form).

The Mustang V6 that all the mags talk so highly about is the one with optional suspenion...

I thought this might be a fun read for those who have not: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ss_page_2#Ford Mustang V-6

The Challenger is the poseur of the bunch with a lot of weight to be moved around.

The Camaro is the in-between... Still hefty, but delivers more on the muscle car/pony promise.

The Mustang delivers a little of everything...

Again not a Ford fan, but the Mustang is better driving then the other two in base form...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ross
LOL, I learned to drive in my mother's '64 Comet 4-dr 200-6 w/2-sp slush-o-matic. I know what you mean, the driving experience doesn't have to be about going fast or sliding corners. When I drive my '52, I take about 5 seconds to row the 3-on-the-tree from 1st to 2nd. It rides like an old truck (because it is) and rattles, but it's more fun than driving a Ferrari. Anyone who says it isn't, hasn't tried it.
Amen ... its just a different kind of fun. Although my falcon is ligther than a 944 and has very stiff suspension (actually corners really flat and handles well if you can keep the rear end in) its just a whole different world... who cares if there is a little slop in the steering and it won't stop on a dime, so what if the bumpsteer is terrible and it rattles a little. Porsh is not the be all and end all of driving enjoyment.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

funny to see this thread. my buddy rented a GT when he came down for my wedding 2 weeks ago and let me drive it around for a bit. i was completely blown away with how ****ty it was. the seats felt like mushy rubber, and the back seats you can almost pull completely out of the car, fitment is so bad. handled like crap and for 400 horsepower, it felt really weak... completely dissappointed... cheap interiors, bad handling and it'll just be another stang in a few years...

of course my friend said he was probably going to trade in his 300zx turbo for one. i told him that would be a huuuuuge mistake.... then again ive been trying to get him in a p-car for a while now...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Late to the party, but was this the newest V6 with 300 ponies or the old POS V6?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I will disagree that a "sports car" cannot have a solid axle. That statement would strike some of the most important sports cars in history from the list. It is a proven system that works wonders and has it's compramises for sure, like any other more articulated systems do as well.
The latest Mustang is a nice product...but in no way a Porsche.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whalebird
I will disagree that a "sports car" cannot have a solid axle. That statement would strike some of the most important sports cars in history from the list. It is a proven system that works wonders and has it's compramises for sure, like any other more articulated systems do as well.
The latest Mustang is a nice product...but in no way a Porsche.
+1. The old Alfa spiders, Triumphs, and I believe MGs and even early Ferraris were solid rear axle cars. Quintessential sports cars.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
funny to see this thread. my buddy rented a GT when he came down for my wedding 2 weeks ago and let me drive it around for a bit. i was completely blown away with how ****ty it was. the seats felt like mushy rubber, and the back seats you can almost pull completely out of the car, fitment is so bad. handled like crap and for 400 horsepower, it felt really weak... completely dissappointed... cheap interiors, bad handling and it'll just be another stang in a few years...

of course my friend said he was probably going to trade in his 300zx turbo for one. i told him that would be a huuuuuge mistake.... then again ive been trying to get him in a p-car for a while now...
Highly doubtful it was a GT. Outside of the $250 a day exotic rental places that rent Ferraris and such, GT's are not rented. It may have had some fancy interior package. I haven't found a place that rents them outside of the exotic places. Hertz was renting SHelby GT's, the prior generation, with teh 4.6L 3V which was maybe making 315 horsepower. The new GT is rated at 412, but it makes over 425. I have not read a single criticism of that engine being weak.

THere are a few RLers who have one. Red1 is one. He indicated he likes driving it better than his 951. And the gushing from the media is pretty persistent. Better than an M3? High praise, but not uncommon. Here's an example: http://jalopnik.com/5518750/is-the-n...-than-a-bmw-m3
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I like the mustangs from the 60s. If someone wanted to trade me a '67 fastback for my 944 I'd do it in a heartbeat. But they can keep the new ones. I thought it was pretty funny they were comparing the new mustangs handling to that of the M3 in one of the last editions of car and driver.

I think it's cool that they are doing the retro thing though. I went to the Denver auto show back in March and out of all the new cars similar to the mustang, I liked the Challenger the most. I'm not a Dodge fan at all and will never own one, but it had the best ergonomics.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
whalebird
Race Car

As Hacker states, It is a "pony" car. I do think it is more of a gran touring platform (in terms of chassis) than any other of it's counterparts. In fact, I think the new 5.0 is a superb GT that can threaten vettes on the track and match any intermediate GT made on the long haul.
The new family of V8 Mustangs will spank any garden variety 951 in most every circumstance. Not a fair comparison.

Quick Reply: Drove new Mustang... SO disappointing