Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Accident (Pictures) - How bad is this damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 86 on the trailer right now in need of a motor and turbo ect.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM
PorschePower
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should definitely fix it. It won't be too bad if you can do the majority of the work yourself. If it makes you feel better, take a look at the one I'm working on. It is even worse than yours and it isn't even a Turbo, but it will live to ride again.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePower
You should definitely fix it. It won't be too bad if you can do the majority of the work yourself. If it makes you feel better, take a look at the one I'm working on. It is even worse than yours and it isn't even a Turbo, but it will live to ride again.
OUCH dude!!

....The bumper looks like it wasn't touched!! lol. I highly doubt you have frame damage. Our cars are pretty soft, up high like that.

Its good you got pics of it.... I was so pissed/embarrassed with mine, I just started ripping it apart when I got home

It'd be nice to see it after you're done too. Good luck!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM
PorschePower
Advanced

Originally Posted by m73m95
OUCH dude!!

....The bumper looks like it wasn't touched!! lol. I highly doubt you have frame damage. Our cars are pretty soft, up high like that.

Its good you got pics of it.... I was so pissed/embarrassed with mine, I just started ripping it apart when I got home

It'd be nice to see it after you're done too. Good luck!!
I bought mine wrecked, so I didn't have any emotional issues with it. The engine got hit harder that I originally thought when I bought it. causing the timing belt to jump and bend a few valves in a fresh 16v head. It also buckled the torque tube and cracked the bellhousing.

I'd like to see what you have going with yours. Maybe if we can show what can be fixed others wouldn't be so quick to part theirs out. Perhaps we should start a fix your wrecked 944 thread.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

I'd like to see what you have going with yours. Maybe if we can show what can be fixed others wouldn't be so quick to part theirs out. Perhaps we should start a fix your wrecked 944 thread.
I don't know about a thread, but I intend to document my journey (if it turns out I go through with it - pending frame analysis) since this will be my first time doing work like this and I am the type who documents anything and everything anyway. I am thinking I will just start a project blog and include pictures, work performed, costs involved, etc link to the site from my signature. I am actually really excited to try this fixup, even if I could part it out and buy another (working) 951 with the same amount of cash, but then I would just be contributing to the rareness of everyone else's 951s!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I bought mine wrecked, so I didn't have any emotional issues with it. The engine got hit harder that I originally thought when I bought it. causing the timing belt to jump and bend a few valves in a fresh 16v head. It also buckled the torque tube and cracked the bellhousing.

I'll try to get some pics of my rebuild. I'm in the process of drilling spot welds now.

Whoever the weldor was on our cars is a fantastic weldor!! On Chevy pickup beds, the spot welds can be broken by just pulling on the panel you want to come off. These Porsche welds are TOUGH. Have to drill like crazy with the spot weld cutter, then use a chisel and hammer to get them apart. Shows great build quality..... That's what I'm telling myself anyway, so I don't throw Porsche parts out in the street
Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Ya I say fix it, it will be rewarding to yourself and feel good knowing that you fixed it

Personally if it was me I would get a gt headlight buckets, front bumper (maybe fiberglass), fiberglass nose and fenders (maybe fiberglass). It would be quick and easy. Mold the fiberglass buckets into the fiberglass nose panel that way there isn't a need to fix all the mounting points for the orginal buckets. Just me though, I look forward to seeing how your fix goes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
PorschePower
Advanced

Originally Posted by ron.eddy
I don't know about a thread, but I intend to document my journey (if it turns out I go through with it - pending frame analysis) since this will be my first time doing work like this and I am the type who documents anything and everything anyway. I am thinking I will just start a project blog and include pictures, work performed, costs involved, etc link to the site from my signature. I am actually really excited to try this fixup, even if I could part it out and buy another (working) 951 with the same amount of cash, but then I would just be contributing to the rareness of everyone else's 951s!
I think it will end up costing you less than you are thinking. That quote for $11,000 to fix it sounds crazy to me.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it will end up costing you less than you are thinking.
While I think $11k is high, in general, everything with a Porsche cost more than you think!

A few years ago I had to have some frame straightening work done to the rear of my car. I did all the disassemble/assembly and prep... sourced a bunch of parts through rennlisters, and still managed to spend about $6k fixing it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say fix it. Have the frame checked to see if it is bent. If it isn't, remove damaged fenders and front fascia, straighten what you can, and bolt on fresh panels. If it is not a concours car, then don't worry about a concours repair. It may not sound like a proper answer, but these are not particularly valuable cars, and they are not THAT rare either. Museum restorations are not required for every car that needs work.

Goodluck!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by ron.eddy
Ok, after some encouraging finds on the parted out market I am going to go down the path of fixing this car. First things first I need to find out if the frame is straight, where would you all take it for this? I assume any true auto body repair shop would have the information needed, but perhaps its best to take it to a body shop specializing in imports? Anything special I should make sure they check other than the geometries?

I did a lazy-mans frame assessment by making sure all the body panels have the same size gaps front right to left (they do), the doors open/close normally, the hatch opens/closes normally. The only part that doesn't work perfect is the hood closing, it takes a little more force than it used to, so I'm crossing my fingers the bumper shocks did their job!
PM me your email address, I have something for you to take to the body shop. A diagram of all the measurement points on the car to check for skew in the unibody.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

That damage is easy repairable.

Look at my project car:
Attached Images    
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM
ron.eddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Voith

Look at my project car:
I just lost my lunch, wow.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
PorschePower
Advanced

Originally Posted by Voith

Look at my project car:
I really hope your joking.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
PM me your email address, I have something for you to take to the body shop. A diagram of all the measurement points on the car to check for skew in the unibody.
Get this from Spencer.

Its a great thing to have if you're repairing damage!

Quick Reply: 951 Accident (Pictures) - How bad is this damage?