Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beauty 968, Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
landyboy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beauty 968, Is it worth it?

Hey all,
hoping someone can give me an opinion on this guy. haven't gone in for a PPi yet, but curious if its even worth going that far.

it seems to be priced higher than an excellent condition one on blue book, wondering why?

considering the dent on the fender and the brake pad sensor light being on? and the results of a recent PPi - leakdown etc

Thermostat and fans all seem to be fine. Overheating happened about 2 years ago. I saw the needle starting to rise and pulled over and stopped. Some coolant boiled out through the cap due to a poor pressure seal. Nothing major. I also had a starter die on me once. These are the only "major" issues I've had with the car. They're really not the temperamental beasts people make them out to be if they're looked after from birth.

check it out - would really appreciate any thoughts
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2350528086.html
Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy it.
Looks to need to be buffed tho.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 PM
ad-01
Advanced

is it me or is the water bottle a little on the low side ?!!!

ps: lovely 968
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
landyboy
4th Gear

thanks for the quick replies!

i guess i should also mention, this would be my first porsche and am a novice at best mechanic, so my hope would be to get it and trust my mechanic here in town to help me maintain it?

silly to get a 968 without having a mechanical background? but ready and willing to diligently maintain
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to buy a used Porsche if you won't be maintaining yourself. Repair bills can be very costly on these cars. Would you be willing to learn to work on a car? I don't know your financial/family situation, so it may not be worth your time to learn. That said, looks like a solid car.

The brake pad sensor aren't an issue, mine isn't even plugged in. The little sensors can be bought for 10 bucks a piece, but I've always thought they were dumb. Wheels that big allow you to check the brake pas condition whenever you gas up the car.

As far as the price, I would offer him the KBB price. If he's really leaving in a week, he'll take it. If not, wait a day and then offer him his price if you decide it's worth it.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

seems like a decent buy. however if you are not willing to undertake full maitenance and repairs yourself, this car will quickly sink you financially.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ad-01
is it me or is the water bottle a little on the low side ?!!!

ps: lovely 968
No it's not you,it seem very low & judging by the color look like oil & coolant mixe was or is still in there.

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
seems like a decent buy. however if you are not willing to undertake full maitenance and repairs yourself, this car will quickly sink you financially.
+1 Timing/BSB/ rollers & seals are coming up ,plus no mention of either water pump & (tensioner/pads & chaine service being done on it recently which can add up to a pile of money very quick if you don't DIY.Is saying the car has aproxx 140K miles meaning he doesn't know the exact mileage(this will worry me)Also notice the batwing is ready to fall off also meaning he doesn't give a darn about fixing things.The car can be good looking inside out with fancy wheels on it but if there is mechanical issues BEWARE it will drain you pocket real fast.And last just wondering about the low asking price for a 94/968.Personnaly I will keep away from it unless a PPI is done by a mechanic that knows 968 like the back of his hands.A 3.0LTR DOC 16 valves is very different then a 2.5/2.7 SOC 8 valves both maintenance & money wise when it come to parts & working on them.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ernie9468
No it's not you,it seem very low & judging by the color look like oil & coolant mixe was or is still in there.

+1 Timing/BSB/ rollers & seals are coming up ,plus no mention of either water pump & (tensioner/pads & chaine service being done on it recently which can add up to a pile of money very quick if you don't DIY.Is saying the car has aproxx 140K miles meaning he doesn't know the exact mileage(this will worry me)Also notice the batwing is ready to fall off also meaning he doesn't give a darn about fixing things.The car can be good looking inside out with fancy wheels on it but if there is mechanical issues BEWARE it will drain you pocket real fast.And last just wondering about the low asking price for a 94/968.Personnaly I will keep away from it unless a PPI is done by a mechanic that knows 968 like the back of his hands.A 3.0LTR DOC 16 valves is very different then a 2.5/2.7 SOC 8 valves both maintenance & money wise when it come to parts & working on them.
x2
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
landyboy
4th Gear

awesome. great advice, thanks guys.

i've considered asking him to knock 1500 or so off the price and then immediately go and get the timing belt and rollers replaced. just to bring it up to speed.

he has said a previously interested party has done a PPi on it. shouldn't i be able to ask him for the "results" etc of that? if he knows its in good shape, wouldn't he be proud to show that off?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by landyboy
awesome. great advice, thanks guys.

i've considered asking him to knock 1500 or so off the price and then immediately go and get the timing belt and rollers replaced. just to bring it up to speed.

he has said a previously interested party has done a PPi on it. shouldn't i be able to ask him for the "results" etc of that? if he knows its in good shape, wouldn't he be proud to show that off?
$1,500 migth cover the water pump Timing ect ect ,but there is still the tensioner & pads to be look at ,here is the story ( the chain for your camshafts ride a two plastic pads (bottom & upper one) after a certain mileage or period of time those pads will get brittle & will selve destroy ,if this happen severe head damage can occure hence the importance of doing them ,remember his saying the car has aproxx 140k miles,there is no fixe mileage for doing them, but most 968 owners that really take care of their machine will agree that they should be look at & replace around 80k/90K miles.Please don't fall for the BS of an interested party having done a PPI.Like I mention get your own by a 968 mechanic ,this will be insurance on your money invest for the car.Sending you a pic of what the head look like underneath the valves cover so you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about (tensioner /pads & chain) the white upper pads is freshly done ,the second pic is off an old brittle broken upper pad.Take care & GL.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
landyboy
4th Gear

wow! great, thanks for the info ernie. and the pics. i'm going to relay this info to the seller and see what he comes back with. the car is about 2+ hours round trip away so i don't want to waste any time. trying to find out as much as i can in the meantime.

i see you have a '93 968, these things sure are beauties!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

finally saw the pics... what a gorgeous car. i really think you should work with the seller and get it. don't know if he'll come down another $1,500. maybe you can pick 'er up for $7K before somebody else steals it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
speedfreek155
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is what it looks like in person I would buy it .
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

that thing looks like it could be new, especially under the hood...jump on it.

if you want some help, send a PM to rennlister josephsc. he has 3 or 4 968s that he knows inside and out and is near berkeley. and he's a great guy also.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I am fairly certain that car has been advertised here on RL.

It looks to be a beauty !!

Get a PPI an if it's as good as it seems...go for it !

Quick Reply: beauty 968, Is it worth it?