Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front spring rate to get for a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Barnaby Jones
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet the 1800/1500 reference is total compressed force, not per inch, but I could be wrong, although I did see a movie about this stuff once.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or yea maybe max compression pounds
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

JSS:

What a timely thread.

I ended up not turning my top shelf 1986 951 into a racing car and have been working through the rest of the car. But I am in the same spot for suspension. This is the one area of the car that has not been addressed. And although my car is tight at 90,000 miles I have been looking at Paragons site for a Koni or Bilstien set to do the job. But it seems that I read several times here on the board that most thought the Bilstiens were not up to the task and were antiquated. So I was looking at the Konis more.

My car is a sometimes street driver but it also will see a few track days here and there so I was looking for the same type set up as you, but I dont wish to lower the car any though. I think I would leave the stock bars on mine. I would likely add the front shock brace/support bar though.

Would you please post how this comes out for you and which set up you choose.

Thanks.

Last edited by TexasRider; 04-19-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will do. I do plan to lower the car more the what the rear is stock down the road when I get rear coilovers but for not I see my rear end pretty low as it is so I like that and will lower the front to match.
so this kit will do me nicely now and down the road.

my corrado has bilstien shocks with h&r race springs and I can honestly say I hate going for a nice drive into the city with the guys do to the nasty ride. I did remove the race springs and added sport and it was sooooooo much better. for the 951 I want it sporty but don't want it to feel like I need brand new pavement to be able to drive around. right now I am thinking my order will be for 225 fronts
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well as a side note I just ordered a full koni set up (inserts and rear shocks) with the ARHK with 275lb springs. I also picked up delrin control arm bushings, 968 caster blocks, and 968 030 sway bars.

My car is going to be a street car btw. Eventually I am going to go with rear coilovers too.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Thanks!

I will be looking forward to see what you select and how it works out in street and a little harder running too! And what it costs. It ALWAYS seems to cost more for me to do any job on these cars. And to think I want / wanted a 911 Turbo.

Doug maybe you will add in how that set up comes out as well. What kind of HP is your car running. Mine should have about 250 in street trim.

I dont mind it to ride a little rough on the street. But I dont want my teeth beat out either. And it seems to me from driving some other cars that were super stiff thats it hard to find the best traction on the track, and really tough on anything less than the stickiest race tire. The suspension basically deflects and you loose both contact and feel for the road or track.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by TexasRider; 04-19-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider

I will be looking forward to see what you select and how it works out in street and a little harder running too! And what it costs. It ALWAYS seems to cost more for me to do any job on these cars. And to think I want / wanted a 911 Turbo.

Doug maybe you will add in how that set up comes out as well. What kind of HP is your car running. Mine should have about 250 in street trim.

I dont mind it to ride a little rough on the street. But I dont want my teeth beat out either. And it seems to me from driving some other cars that were super stiff thats it hard to find the best traction on the track, and really tough on anything less than the stickiest race tire. The suspension basically deflects and you loose both contact and feel for the road or track.

Thanks guys.
Well todays order was just shy of 1k.

All of my shocks are bad and I am generally hating life right now.

If your control arms are good, and you dont plan on rebuilding them you can take away ~$300 from my bill.

We should be at similar numbers, stock turbo 15psi, test pipe and some head work. But that will be changing next round of upgrades I would really like to be in the 320rwhp range.

I am going for a fun twisties car that I can still drive 2+ hrs for a gtg (yea I am one of those guys)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys.
Running my 951 ~ 250ish HP, Konis full stiff, 300Lb springs, solid bushings, camber plates, 18 inch wheels, lowered, DD and wouldn't hesitate to have taken it out for a full day of driving in VA / DC / MD.... loved the setup... Lately moved the 951 to Bilstein cup coilovers 300 / 400.. Konis are now on my 944, detuned slightly but still rolling with teh 300lb springs..

Originally Posted by Dougs951

All of my shocks are bad and I am generally hating life right now.

If your control arms are good, and you dont plan on rebuilding them you can take away ~$300 from my bill.

We should be at similar numbers, stock turbo 15psi, test pipe and some head work. But that will be changing next round of upgrades I would really like to be in the 320rwhp range.

I am going for a fun twisties car that I can still drive 2+ hrs for a gtg (yea I am one of those guys)
You would drive 2+hrs for a GTG, when your car is running!

I'm willing to bet you are going to LOVE the setup once it is installed, let me know if you want a hand putting it together, as this is the exact setup I installed once before!... OH and I will bring my angle grinder along to remove your lower spring seats for a nice clean install!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Funn944
Pro

I run 250lb front, lowered 1", poly control arm bushings, Stage II Welt sways on a daily driver. I wouldn't go any firmer than that, stiff enough at 250
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm u think 225 is not a good idea and just to stick with 200?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

JSS:

What a timely thread.

I ended up not turning my top shelf 1986 951 into a racing car and have been working through the rest of the car. But I am in the same spot for suspension. This is the one area of the car that has not been addressed. And although my car is tight at 90,000 miles I have been looking at Paragons site for a Koni or Bilstien set to do the job. But it seems that I read several times here on the board that most thought the Bilstiens were not up to the task and were antiquated. So I was looking at the Konis more.

My car is a sometimes street driver but it also will see a few track days here and there so I was looking for the same type set up as you, but I dont wish to lower the car any though. I think I would leave the stock bars on mine. I would likely add the front shock brace/support bar though.

Would you please post how this comes out for you and which set up you choose.

Thanks.
Konis are more antiquated than Bilsteins.

Mike
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys this may be a little pre-mature, but I'm working with a company to bring a full coil over kit out, fully externally adjustable (bump and rebound) for somewhere around $1500. Anyone interested can send me a p/m. More details to come in the next few weeks.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Question Bilsteins vs Koni

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Konis are more antiquated than Bilsteins.

Mike
For real??? Yikes.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Smile $2K

Originally Posted by Dougs951

See what I mean on my costs!! The Bilstein set up I looked at was about $2500 with out the various control arm work or the other mods.

There was another thread here a day back or so about "How much does it cost?"
For me it seems it is always MORE

And then the 911 guys say that I dont have a real Porsche. It costs like a real Porsche. Heck I could of had a 911 for all this. But I like these water-burners.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Funn944
I run 250lb front, lowered 1", poly control arm bushings, Stage II Welt sways on a daily driver. I wouldn't go any firmer than that, stiff enough at 250
Thanks for that. I am going to do some pondering and some talking to Paragon and/or Lindsey on this set up.

What is your rear?

Quick Reply: front spring rate to get for a street car?