Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011 | 09:51 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Default Sunroof Problems

I hope this isn't the wrong section!

Okay, i've my 1989 Porsche 944 for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. When I got it I knew about the sunroof problems, thought it was no biggy. But now, lately it's getting hot I decided to poke around. The problem was ORIGINALLY the button worked, the motor moved, but didn't move the latches or anything. I heard the motor, but no movement at all.

Today I decided to remove the whole sunroof motor, I removed the bolts, and to my suprise the cord I guess wasn't being fed through it was just bunched up through the back. I fed it through, I figured hey it'll work now! Wrong, I pressed the button and it made a little movement by the rear latches but not enough to 'tilt' it (which is what I want it to do) I ended up getting a screw driver and pulled the rear latches up enough to where it'll stand up, but only the left latch came up but it wouldn't hold the sunroof up for some reason. I managed to get the right and left latch up but it wouldn't hold the sunroof in that position.. I'm not sure whats going on, maybe somethings aligned wrong?

The sunroof as of now is completely latched down and won't budge. Sorry if this made no sense, help please? Also apologize if this is the wrong section. Thanks in advance guys!

Here's a picture of the gears..

Last edited by Exclaim; 04-17-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2011 | 09:19 AM
Yarf
Racer

Default Sunroof information

Sunroof information:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/body-03.pdf
Old 04-17-2011 | 10:19 AM
dpoul34
Instructor

Open the lifting arm housings and check the white gears. For most of these issues the gears are stripped. (word of caution - if you buy replacements get a few extra - they aren't expensive).

Also look at the receivers of the sunroof that the arms slide into and lift. A lot of times these are also cracked. They look like small scratches but in fact are broken. If you get this fixed and put the arms back in, make sure they go in evenly by counting the amount of exposed "teeth" on the arms.

944online.com has all these parts you're looking for.

ALso read the clarks garage writeup. If you have issues with your microswitches you'll get information from that, but from what you are saying, that's not the issue - it's all mechanical.
Old 04-17-2011 | 12:27 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Thanks I will go check that out now. If the gears aren't stripped what does this mean? If they are can I move the lifting arms up manually? I'd like to tilt the sunroof up for the day. If I did get the arms up how would I lock the sunroof in that position? Thanks for the help
Old 04-17-2011 | 12:45 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Okay so wtf? i checked the gears at the lifting arm mechanism, and they look perfectly fine. Both of them. I tried pressing the button with the cover off and the drive cable runs through the gears perfectly. I'm just stumped as to why the lifting arms don't raise up? Help? Thanks! I have a picture of the gears I will upload here in a minute.
Old 04-17-2011 | 12:48 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Okay here's the picture, the gears look fine to me? Maybe i'm wrong? (Both gears look the same I didn't see a need in posting both..)

Old 04-17-2011 | 01:40 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Looks like the center post of the gear is completely stripped. Happens all the time. between my Turbo and my old 924, I've replaced em like, 8 times.

can be bought here: http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...564.430.01.htm
Old 04-17-2011 | 01:50 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

I think that just might be the problem, I got a question for ya. Do you know anyways to rig it up to tilt it just until I get the gears? I will be ordering them shortly. And it's getting awfully hot, I got no ac, and I have no room in the back for the whole sunroof anymore because of my sub. So i'd tilt it and roll the windows down. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2011 | 01:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

nope. no real good way to use the roof without the gears unless you convert it to a manual roof...which also would be a while before you could because of parts, etc.
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:58 AM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

you mentioned that you don't have room in the trunk because of your sub. I find that my sunroof fits in the backseat very easily. (if you've still got your backseats). Just a thought so you don't melt. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problems