Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Problems

I hope this isn't the wrong section!

Okay, i've my 1989 Porsche 944 for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. When I got it I knew about the sunroof problems, thought it was no biggy. But now, lately it's getting hot I decided to poke around. The problem was ORIGINALLY the button worked, the motor moved, but didn't move the latches or anything. I heard the motor, but no movement at all.

Today I decided to remove the whole sunroof motor, I removed the bolts, and to my suprise the cord I guess wasn't being fed through it was just bunched up through the back. I fed it through, I figured hey it'll work now! Wrong, I pressed the button and it made a little movement by the rear latches but not enough to 'tilt' it (which is what I want it to do) I ended up getting a screw driver and pulled the rear latches up enough to where it'll stand up, but only the left latch came up but it wouldn't hold the sunroof up for some reason. I managed to get the right and left latch up but it wouldn't hold the sunroof in that position.. I'm not sure whats going on, maybe somethings aligned wrong?

The sunroof as of now is completely latched down and won't budge. Sorry if this made no sense, help please? Also apologize if this is the wrong section. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is critical what position the ignition key is in when you push the button. Have you read Clark's or the owner's manual? It won't help with a mechanical or electrical failure, but that is a prerequisite to correct operation.

http://clarks-garage.com/
Old 04-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

I have looked into clarks, google, and all these forums. I've tried every key position as well :l
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Okay I been researching a bit more, I found out that there are 3 microswitches? That could cause this problem, it says there fairly reliable after the year 1986 so the problem is there probably out of alignment rather than failing. What does it mean out of alignment? How would I solve this/realign? them? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Okay I'm still confused, it says to raise the sunroof put it in Position 2 (ON) then push the button down to raise it up. When I push the button down, nothing at all happens. No sounds nothing. But this is because the drive cable is fed all the way through, should it not be fed all the way through?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:16 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Exclaim
Okay I been researching a bit more, I found out that there are 3 microswitches? That could cause this problem, it says there fairly reliable after the year 1986 so the problem is there probably out of alignment rather than failing. What does it mean out of alignment? How would I solve this/realign? them? Thanks!
If a bigger crop of poop was ever printed that has to be it. What engineer in their right mind would have 30+ moving parts to raise the SR 1"? Sounds like stripped gears and you have to start over following Clark's instruction or convert to a manual SR and never worry if your SR works or not...you even save a few pounds in the process.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Exclaim
AutoX

Just going by what it says. Manual latches are hard to find for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 AM
sbolen113
Advanced

Many don't know that there is a slip clutch in the motor for the sunroof. My problem initially was that it would only retract the sunroof and not go the other way. I figured out the micro switch between the sun visors was not getting enough contact. After that was fixed i kept stripping gears. If you look at the motor assembly in the rear after pulling back the carpet, you will see a black plastic cap. There is a hole cut out in the plastic guard that goes over the assembly for this cap. If you pop that off there is an adjustment nut on the inside with a lock nut to keep it in place. Loosen the lock nut then loosen the adjuster nut as needed. Tighten for more torque and loosen for less. Then replace the lock nut securely. This slip clutch is what keeps you from stripping gears which is when you can still here the motor run when you lower the sunroof. The clutch slips and stops the gears from moving but the motor continues to run if you hold the switch. If the clutch is set to loose (sometimes it can loosen over time if the lock nut was not tightened) the clutch will slip to early and not be able to raise the sunroof at all. This is how I fixed mine. I hope it helps! Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
sbolen113
Advanced

The system is quite simple after you struggle with it for weeks like I have. 3 micro switched in the rear and one above the rear view mirror between the sun visors and a slip clutch on the motor. If you check these one at a time thoroughly and take your time to make sure each part is working properly you should be able to get it to work. It is incredibly frustrating to troubleshoot these sunroofs...way over engineered...
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 AM
sbolen113
Advanced

You need to make sure that micro switch in the front is getting contact (the one between the sun visors) If it is not, nothing will happen when you push the button like you said. That is the first thing to check. If you can get the sunroof off, there is a little tab you need to pop off to get to the screw that releases the assembly so you can get to the switch. BE CAREFUL NOT TO PRY TO HARD AND SNAP THE PLASTIC HINGES FOR THE TAB!!! I did this and had to buy a new one. It's only about a $5 part so don't worry if you do.. After you get it off, push the switch by hand until you hear the click and try the sunroof button again while holding the pressure switch. This should allow the latches to move up since the system thinks the sunroof is in place (that is the whole point for this switch, to tell the car the sunroof is on).

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problems