Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Wires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011 | 12:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

^ bad advice. Open the hood when it's dark outside, or in a gargae. If you see them arcing replace them. Replacing old wires with known good ones is a better choice than waiting. This is the number one reason these cars go up in flames.
Old 04-15-2011 | 01:53 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I can't exactly run the car right now... it's pretty disassembled right now. But when I was disassembling it, I found that one of the plug wires had been pinched between the fuel damper and the water neck, and the insulation was worn through. I don't really need to test that to know it's bad.

On the plus side, I found the 8mm Magnecor at Ultrarev for $56 with free shipping, so I ordered them. That should fix me up, I think... unless I find something else I absolutely have to replace (I hope not, I'm unemployed at the moment and the wife's starting to get testy over the steadily rising cost of this project)

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

-Dave
Old 04-15-2011 | 01:59 PM
whalebird
Race Car

magnacore wires are excelent. You made a very good decision.
Old 04-15-2011 | 02:15 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by whalebird
^ bad advice. Open the hood when it's dark outside, or in a gargae. If you see them arcing replace them. Replacing old wires with known good ones is a better choice than waiting. This is the number one reason these cars go up in flames.
How so? Arcing plug wires don't have anything to catch on fire unless you're leaking fuel or oil already.

Although they will certainly make it run like crap.
Old 04-15-2011 | 02:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Come on...grab the wire and it's ok if doesn't shock you. Please. That's all wrong. Yes, these cars leak oil and fuel profusely. Injectors leak all the time, fuel lines will weep fuel only when it's running and just moisten the surface around them before the engine heat evaporates it into a nice combustion style cloud under the hood.
Check your fuel lines and injectors with the engine running often. they can leak and you will never know it.
Old 04-15-2011 | 02:43 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Check your fuel lines and injectors with the engine running often. they can leak and you will never know it.
Amen to that, my old N/A was gurgling fuel out of one of the injector seals... thankfully the only thing that came of it was me accidentally dropping a lit zippo in the engine bay while it wasn't running, resulting in a 2-second engine fire that I put out before it could damage anything.... could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 04-15-2011 | 02:49 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Yes, these cars leak oil and fuel profusely. Injectors leak all the time, fuel lines will weep fuel only when it's running and just moisten the surface around them before the engine heat evaporates it into a nice combustion style cloud under the hood.
If this is the case, you need to maintain your cars better.

If it's rubber and its 20 years old, you should have replaced it by now. Especially when it's holding fuel under pressure.

Quick Reply: Ignition Wires?