Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK... Ummm... Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb OK... Ummm... Wtf?

So I was inspecting my car the other day and noticed that the whole radiator had shifted in towards the engine somehow. It was sitting a bit ackwardly or I wouldn't have even noticed it. It was actually pushing up against one of the coolant hoses and had pushed it into where the alternator belt spins. The radiator seems to still be working fine but I couldn't move it back into position when I tried. That also solves the mystery of where my coolant leak was coming from(the radiator was pinning the hose to the spinning alternator parts and eventually it was cut). And why my car was all of a sudden screaming at me when I turned it on(the coolant was leaking onto the alternator belt and making it slip, causing the noise). Now my questions are basically: Does this normally happen?, Will the noise from the alternator belts go away once I stop the coolant leak or should I replace the belts as well?, how would I move the radiator back into place?, And does anyone have an undamaged coolant hose(largest one connecting to the tank)? Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does it happen?

Maybe when you went up against a slightly higher cement parking barrier-the type on the ground that your front valance scrapes.

The sheet metal in front of the car is very easy to straighten. A channel lock pliers? Remove the front plastic black grill. Note: there are 2 small tabs on the bottom the fit in the lower valance---the OEM had rubber around the tab to stop rattles.

Just straighten all crushed/ bent looking steel and supports--push forward>>>

Do you still have the engine pan? Straighten the pan and it will give you a guide as to how far to go.
(after you put in the 3 rear bolts)

GL
John
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

probably the top set screw bolts that hold the radiator have come loose.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
probably the top set screw bolts that hold the radiator have come loose.
+1

Quick Reply: OK... Ummm... Wtf?