Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to put new strut inserts in. What else while I'm in there?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to put new strut inserts in. What else while I'm in there?

I'm going to order some KYB inserts and rear shocks. I'm reading about replacing the strut bearing. I'm not sure if it's critical to replace that. Are there any other parts on the strut assembly that I should replace as well?

I'm going to do the sway bar bushings and control arms too.

The car doesn't have a lot of play in it, but the shocks are blown and the rest I'm just doing for the sake of doing it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

kla solid strut mounts.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

968 castor blocks
Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it IS an early offset car, right?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

KYB inserts and rear shocks? You might as well not bother doing it at all.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
I'm going to order some KYB inserts and rear shocks. I'm reading about replacing the strut bearing. I'm not sure if it's critical to replace that. Are there any other parts on the strut assembly that I should replace as well?

I'm going to do the sway bar bushings and control arms too.

The car doesn't have a lot of play in it, but the shocks are blown and the rest I'm just doing for the sake of doing it.

Not to talk down to you in any way but....will you have a shop swap the inserts or are you compressing the springs yourself? Have you done this before?

Just have heard a couple of bad stories when folks go to do this the first time and don't fit the spring compressor on correctly etc.

michael
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that is one of my fears as well. So I bought a strut compressor like this one. (Used btw Im not that crazy lol) http://www.mile-x.com/branick-7400-s...ompressor.aspx
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Yes it's an early offset. '83

I was going to do it myself and no I've never swapped inserts before. I was reading the write up on clarks garage on how to do it and searched some old threads on here.

I don't mine taking it somewhere to have the inserts done for me if thats safer. It needs an alignment anyways.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

If you haven't ordered the KYBs yet, you might reconsider and get Konis -People seem to love them!

As for strut removal and sprind compressing: I have done this job on many cars, and really using a spring compressor is no big deal... You simply place two compressors on the spring as evenly as possible, and bring them down as evenly as possible (lower each side a little at a time). i am referring to this type of spring compressor http://www.usedcarszone.com/images/s...compressor.jpg

Jesus Doug!! That strut compressor is intense!! I'm coming over to your place to do me front struts this summer! ha ha ha

Anyway like i said: This job is not big deal; you don't need a shop to do it... p.s. don't ever put your hand, or arm -or anything you don't want to SNAP- through the spring -if for some reason the compressors do let go.. Also: There are little tabs (light grey rods in the picture) on the compressor to prevent slippage..
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I went back and forth between Konis, but this car is just a weekend car. I don't track it or anything like that so I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost. But I still haven't ordered parts yet so.....
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
Yes it's an early offset. '83

I was going to do it myself and no I've never swapped inserts before. I was reading the write up on clarks garage on how to do it and searched some old threads on here.

I don't mine taking it somewhere to have the inserts done for me if thats safer. It needs an alignment anyways.
Oh don't get me wrong it's very doable. Just make sure you take your time and that the compressors are on there correctly. If it don't look right during the compression stop and back up.....literally.

I have done this many times myself, even with a harbor freight compressor set, make sure that strut is pointed in a safe direction just in case.

michael
Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell

Jesus Doug!! That strut compressor is intense!! I'm coming over to your place to do me front struts this summer! ha ha ha

Anytime!

I think my garage is going to be very busy this summer.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Do you have to remove the entire strut assembly to replace the inserts? I read so many different threads last night I've got all the information mixed up.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I never used a spring compressor for the 944. You just remove the top strut nut while the car is on the ground. Then when you jack it up, it all comes apart.

Installation is the reverse of dissassembly!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I never used a spring compressor for the 944. You just remove the top strut nut while the car is on the ground. Then when you jack it up, it all comes apart.

Installation is the reverse of dissassembly!
Wow, I could certainly see this working! Sounds Amazing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to put new strut inserts in. What else while I'm in there?