Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
caribe287
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket replacement

...obviously a much more tedious job than it first sounds. On a couple of other cars I own ...I've been able to avoid much of this work and wonder if anyone else has tried this with a 944 (or is there not enough clearance?
Possible aternative method ...jack-up engine max firewall will allow then put wedges in between Motor Mount brackets to hold it there ...then lower the jack and there is enough room to get in there with a wrench then slip Pan out.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems to be the topic of the month. Do a search on "oil pan gasket" and you will be able to read several threads on this topic. Unfortunately its a time consuming job that I am still contemplating doing myself or taking to the shop$$$$$
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
caribe287
Intermediate

yes Wcfrog ...I saw other threads and will be doing the job myself. However, I'm wondering if anyone has "successfully" used an alternate labor-saving method same or similar to what I describe.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think people make a bigger deal out of this job than they should... I did mine last summer and it was really easy.

If you are goin to do the Oil Pan Gasket, you should replace the Rod Bearings too; at which point the cross member will need to be removed. Motor Mounts could easily be done at this time too...

Anyway, I would say trying to shortcut this job is goin to be harder (and will probably take longer) than doing it the correct way.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
caribe287
Intermediate

pnbell...I appreciate you're comment as it seems it's difficult enough to keep this Gasket centered while torqing without stuff in the way. If no one has found enough clearance via similar method to what I described then I will definitely do the Rod Bearings (& Nuts) while in there ...already have other related items on my list (and in the Spares Box) ..New Motor Mounts, Hi-pressure Steering lines, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil pickup tube goes all the way to the bottom of the deep bit. There are baffles in there. It is hard enough to install the pan without it catching on this tube. There is no way you can get it off without removing the cross member.

Last edited by bebbetufs; 03-16-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
wcfrog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry caribe287. I misunderstood your post. Good luck with the job.

Originally Posted by caribe287
yes Wcfrog ...I saw other threads and will be doing the job myself. However, I'm wondering if anyone has "successfully" used an alternate labor-saving method same or similar to what I describe.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caribe287
...obviously a much more tedious job than it first sounds. On a couple of other cars I own ...I've been able to avoid much of this work and wonder if anyone else has tried this with a 944 (or is there not enough clearance?
Possible aternative method ...jack-up engine max firewall will allow then put wedges in between Motor Mount brackets to hold it there ...then lower the jack and there is enough room to get in there with a wrench then slip Pan out.
Don't bother. The pan needs to move down 6-8" to clear the oil pickup tube. Even when you have it completely clear it can take some wiggling to the tube to clear internal baffle in the pan as it can easly hang up.

The job on an NA is not that hard. Drop the sway bar, steering rack and pull the control arms. Hook up and engine hoist and pull the crossmember.

On a turbo it is much harder since you need to pull the crossover pipe. Despite being only a few bolts that makes the job alot harder since it is so hard to get to the 4 on the turbo.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
caribe287
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice guys ...messing around under there I've also found a Seal-leak in the Steering Rack ...so looks like most of the stuff that needs to come-out also needs servicing. Meanwhile, incase I ever finish rebulid/restoration of my 944S, I've just acquired my next "Project" ...was lucky enough to find a very rare Porsche-verified Euro-spec. (air-cooled) '76 Carrera 3.0

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket replacement