Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my SPEC 944 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fiberglass-non airbag dash

welded the hub for the removable steering wheel on today and finished chopping out more wiring that wont be used. I made four brakets at the top of the dash that hold the front edge straight- still have some trimming and fitting to do but the dash is almost completed. Then to drill and install some switches for the lights etc and wire those to the factory harness.
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comprehend where you find all the time to do this stuff Dan but it all looks great !!

Maybe I need to give up booz'n and chasing the women and live in my garage more :O
Tom
Old 05-22-2011, 11:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

so the other night i decided that i wasnt quite happy w/ the finish of the dash. I pulled it back out- four screws- and went to working on some other things like putting in an emergency battery cut off switch- welded that to the rollbar just above the dash on the ds and ran the ground wires from the battery to the switch, then welded a bolt to the cage under the dash and ran another wire from the switch to the bolt to complete the ground. Also ran two wires from the switch to the coil- well its sitting near the coil not wired yet. Then i went back to the dash. Sanded down the center strip that i painted foh carbon fiber and resprayed the entire dash w/ the bedliner spray, giving it a nice one piece clean look. I also sprayed up under the dash to the firewall black w/ the bedliner spray to clean up the look under there. Now just to start putting pieces in. Cant wait.
Attached Images     
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Very cool!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Excellent work, Dan!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

so i need to get this interior together so i can work on important stuff. I decided that one way or another the inside of the doors was getting sprayed tonite. Started by welding the tabs to the door bars for the door handles. Just cut some plate up and welded it to the impact bar at the appropriate length. I'll drill and tap them later.

Then i sanded the inside of the doors the rest of the way, tried to smooth out the rough edges from cutting the doors out -which will be covered by a piece of trim eventually- and scrubbed it all down w/ laquer thinner. I decided not to primer due to time restraints. Sprayed a few coats of white on there after taping the whole car up, and then one coat of clear. Not bad for a race car. Got a few runs due to temp and no primer but since its white they are not real noticable. As Alan says "its a race car!!"
Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just don't make the car too nice to race....

Remember it is race car... paint is wear item... Were I race we have lots of sand, dirt and rocks off track so that if the car in front puts a wheel off kicks up rocks your front end gets hit with them hard. Sand blast is common therefore since no racer I know will slow down for a rocks bouncing off the front end of the car.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so the car have no door windows?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Lookin' good!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i got ya Joe. I understand what these cars go through. The Dragon gets pretty beat up each race and my OCD has me out touching it up and cleaning it before the next race. This car will be no different. I just want to start with a nicer base than the Dragon. I am however trying to build the car to stand up to some abuse.

The windows are removable and will only be in for transport. THey will slide up into the window frame and have some kind of pin or strap to hold them up. I'll prob. make some lexan windows once i start racing the car- just for the doors.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

worked on the car last night and got the door handles mounted on the inside of the doors. Had to make some extensions for the plastic cable mount since i neglected to make the door handle mount long enough.

Tonite i worked on the window net and the fire suppression system. Got the tabs welded in for the window net but not sure how im going to tie the bottom of the window net in to the cage yet. Mounted the fire bottle to the flloor behind the passenger seat and ran the pull chord to the dash. Then i ran the lines from the bottle to the firewall and one to the center of the car for drivers protection. I'll have to hold off on routing under the hood until the engine is out and im done under there.
Attached Images       
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 AM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Then i went back to the dash. Sanded down the center strip that i painted foh carbon fiber and resprayed the entire dash w/ the bedliner spray, giving it a nice one piece clean look.
Sprayed the dash with bedliner spray?! I've never heard of this before.

My DD's dash has multiple cracks and the $300-800 "fixes" really bug me.

Is bedliner spray a commonly-done fix for decent quality DD's? Or is it pretty much only a race-car quality fix?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

if you read back a few pages you would see its a fiberglass dash that i made, sprayed w/ bedliner spray.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:28 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the car!! I gotta do that one day! (Though, I'm thinking about a rally car 944 lol)

You do need some sponsors though!!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

got the center net, passenger seat mounted w/ harnesses. Time to start working on suspension. Pulled the rear stuff the other day and tonite we ripped into the tough parts. Got the torsion tube all apart and torched the bushing out of one side. Soon i'll do the other side, clean everything up and paint it then press the new bushings on. Ive never done this before so its all new but not nearly as hard as i would have thought. I have Alan working on my torsion positioning so when i put my 30mm torsions in i wont have to do it twice.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: my SPEC 944 build