Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My carbon fibre sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I finished the box today.

Another angle

Fitted in the car

I tuned this set up this afternoon and am really happy with it. The Soundstream SST46 actually get quite low, with some power behind them, and the sub blends in giving a bass up front effect. This system is not what we often refer to as a *2 blocker*, that can be heard from 2 blocks away. It is just for the enjoyment of music and although it goes fairly loud, it is definitely geared towards sound quality. I will hook it up to a laptop and run the imprint software just to see how well it tunes the system, but will also spend some time tuning the system manually.

I was hoping to add a different sub fairly quickly but while I was finishing install, I noticed a pool of coolant under the car it is coming from where the water pump is (I think), so looks like that is now on the back burner. I can't believe I actually thought the car was basically finished, with only a few little things to be done, and this happens
peace
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work, good luck on the water pump...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sub

Looks great nice and clean..
Old 06-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, nice work. how much does it weight with the driver mounted?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
there's also a 10" or 12" dual vc subwoofer driver made by Rockford that's made EXACTLY for enclosures < .75 cu ft.

the 10" is model # P3D410 P3.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../dp/B001AQTZKY

the 12" is model # P3D412 P3.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC0Q8gIwAg#
I have the p3d412, although I went the simple route, with a box in the drivers rear corner, around 1 cu ft volume... wood and carpet, and I like it. Amplifier and capacitor mounted on passenger corner. Doesn't look too pretty yet, wires not completely hidden, amp mounted on uncarpeted wood. I'll post pics when I have access to a pc, as another idea for a sub enclosure, incase people want the more simple route. It sounds great, i also have dimensions... Keith
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Wow, nice work. how much does it weight with the driver mounted?
Hey Paulyy
I haven't weighed it yet, but I have decided to increase the box volume by extending it into the cubby hole, so will chuck it on scales when done. It's a fraction of the weight of the box in my old car as that had a top baffle made of 25mm MDF and would be 70KG before I fitted subs(2 x IDMAX12s).

Keith, all that cap will do is add weight. Unless where you fitted it will improve handling(JK), it's just dead weight/jewelry

peace
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Looks good. I used the KLA box as I wanted it to be completely hidden. I got a JBL Sub for that box and it hits pretty hard. Give you the low end you are lacking in these cars.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Oh well :/
Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

What would be really cool is to do one like this in all carbon fiber no MDF or fiberglass. Or maybe use some kevlar core material to replace the MDF that was used. Kevlar core material is getting pretty easy to find because may off roaders use it for skid plates. Dont get me wrong i think the enclosure looks good and OP has some skill but it is hard for be to think of it as a carbon fiber enclosure when in reality it just has a carbon cover on top.
BTW kevlar core material is pretty easy to find at even you local salvage yard, Chevy has used it on thier small 4x4 suv's since around 2000.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work on the finish -- I think that's just the right level of gloss, personally. If you can figure out how to time align the sub in these cars, please let me know! I can get "close" by just measuring the distance, but my Oscope isn't helping for frequencies that low, and I'm not really all that happy with the sub timing.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
What would be really cool is to do one like this in all carbon fiber no MDF or fiberglass. Or maybe use some kevlar core material to replace the MDF that was used. Kevlar core material is getting pretty easy to find because may off roaders use it for skid plates. Dont get me wrong i think the enclosure looks good and OP has some skill but it is hard for be to think of it as a carbon fiber enclosure when in reality it just has a carbon cover on top.
BTW kevlar core material is pretty easy to find at even you local salvage yard, Chevy has used it on thier small 4x4 suv's since around 2000.
Isnt this type of box really just for show anyway. Why would he want to spend the cost of more carbon fiber if there isnt much gain
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carlege
Isnt this type of box really just for show anyway. Why would he want to spend the cost of more carbon fiber if there isnt much gain
Note the title of the thread.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
Note the title of the thread.
See result of installed product.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Hey Paulyy
I haven't weighed it yet, but I have decided to increase the box volume by extending it into the cubby hole, so will chuck it on scales when done. It's a fraction of the weight of the box in my old car as that had a top baffle made of 25mm MDF and would be 70KG before I fitted subs(2 x IDMAX12s).

Keith, all that cap will do is add weight. Unless where you fitted it will improve handling(JK), it's just dead weight/jewelry

peace
when i read carbon fiber i thought the whole thing was CF no MDF. i made a fiberglass box for my back seats and 2 12 inch Drivers and it dosn't sound to bad, it's all fiverglass. first time fiberglassing so i thought it came out "ok" but dosn't weigh much.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

The CF is an overlay and done purely for cosmetic reasons, and is real CF as opposed to the fake CF vinyl often used. I love the look of CF and so was the only finish I considered for this box. I could have painted it in 2 pac, either in body colour or a gloss black, or just gone carpet, which would have been a lot less work.

I made a box for a customer in an 88 911 out of FG and MDF that was trimmed in genuine Porsche carpet. That was fitted behind passenger seat(in foot well) and used a Phoenix Gold Xmax8. It sounded great, as was nice and tight.

I haven't played with TA yet but will let you know my settings when I do Pontifex

I am not sure how well an all CF/composite box would sound as it may have resonance issues unless it was made extremely thick, or used a lot of kevlar/aluminium honeycomb reinforcement etc.
MDF is a very dense material and when combined with FG, will have minimal resonance, and yet still be relatively light compared to an all MDF box.

IMO the added cost and complexity, of an all composite box, for such a little gain(and potential sound quality losses) makes it not worthwhile. My box has a quick disconnect plug, in the lead, so could be removed for track use if I desired.

My goals when designing this enclosure were to minimize the intrusion into hatch area, to keep as much space usable as possible, including the cubby hole, as I have a genuine Porsche compressor, and some other bits n pieces in there. To have it flow with the areas natural design, and hopefully look like what Porsche would have done, if it was a factory option. Be as light as possible without sacrificing sound quality. To look good.

How well I have done is a subjective thing but bottom line is I am happy with the results, so I guess that's all that really matters
peace

Quick Reply: My carbon fibre sub enclosure