Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My carbon fibre sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My carbon fibre sub enclosure

When I first got my 952 I thought I would just put a nice head unit in, as I didn't want to go all out on a system in it. I was in car audio industry for 20+ years and built a system in my last car that won the state and National SQ championship in Pro-class. I also had a business doing show car custom installs for many years, but I got the 952 to enjoy driving in.

My initial idea was get a head unit with all the cool stuff my old SQ system lacked, like Nav, iPhone integration, etc. I got the head unit fitted but soon realised I was never going to be happy with the 4x6 speakers, and as I wasn't interested in doing build outs in the doors etc, the only way to get better sound was fit a sub.

I was using a little MTX thunder 6000 10" sub in my old daily driver and decided it would be ideal for the 952. The sub doesn't need a huge box.

Well I had a look at the boot/hatch/trunk area, and decided against using the well behind the wheels, as I still wanted to carry tools, compressor, oil etc. Ditching the spare wasn't an option I would ever entertain.

I finally decided to use the rear quarter corner area and limit box to the seam where wheel well cover is hinged. I also decided to do box in carbon fibre, as it looks sexy but is also dark and so more stealth than doing a guards red FG box, and classier than going carpet or vinyl.

OK so I got some cardboard and the madness began.

Then I got some MDF and built base and fascia

Some glue, screws, and clamps and the box begins to take shape

Then some bog/auto filler/bondo to smooth things out (then a truck load of sanding)

test fit before things get to advanced

6mm mdf is glued in place in sections to build rear and side walls, then they are sealed with fibre glass and filler.

more and more FG and filler

The fascia is resined with black tinted resin, so any gaps in the carbon fibre weave don't show, and carbon fibre is laid down when its at B stage(tacky)

Carbon fibre on and now just building up some resin layers before it gets polished

Well that's it so far but will update with more pics
peace
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. How much in material and how many hours did it take you?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

dang it thats exactly what I was going to do, even down to the style lol. Nice job man!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

CF 1200mm x 1000mm was $100 shipped. Probably about same in FG, resin, filler, and MDF. It's hard to say how many hours as just been an hour or 2 after work here and there, and some 4-6 hour sessions on days off, but I started it about 3-4 weeks ago. I have RDO tomorrow so will get closer to finishing it. I am also fitting a trim ring in CF as a separate piece, as there was no way to get CF to work, if it was added to box.

thanks for the compliments guys. I am really happy with how it's turning out, as it is the design I envisaged in my head before I started. Often things just don't finish as you planned they would.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM
smokin_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that sub box! It really is a beauty!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Looks like a nice job..... Curious as to how you are securing it in place. I'm assuming it's attached in some manner. And assuming such, how much work is it to access the right side rear cubby?

TIA
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I will be securing it to the carpet, and as it is a 45 degree angle and running along the hinge line above the cubby, i will be able to tilt it to access the cubby. It also pressure fits under the lip below the glass, so won't tip over. I may add the hook part (in strips) of velcro to back for extra grip if pressure fit isn't enough.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you burn the wood out of it so it is a hollow carbon fiber shell? Just an idea. Then you could fill it with dense foam pieces to get good acoustics.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

You can use the lost foam method too. Starts with a styrofoam block cut and formed to the shape you want, cover it with cling wrap then lay the carbon cloth and epoxy over it and when done pour in a small amount of acetone and away goes the foam leaving a puddle of goo. Pull out the plastic wrap and you're left with a carbon fibre form.

http://www.hunterdogs.org/GeneralInf...COMPONENTS.pdf
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

great work and very beautiful. the cf skin is really cool. i have a sub in my 968 mounted at a virtually identical angle w/ a strikingly similar shaped cabinet. like yours, it's a closed box but it extends deeper into the quarter panel. so, if you don't already have amps mounted there, you'll probably have room to add addtional volume should the need arise. subwoofer cabs really benefit by having unusual shapes, as the backwaves are more efficiently cancelled. there's also a 10" or 12" dual vc subwoofer driver made by Rockford that's made EXACTLY for enclosures < .75 cu ft.

the 10" is model # P3D410 P3.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga.../dp/B001AQTZKY

the 12" is model # P3D412 P3.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC0Q8gIwAg#
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
kingston944
Racer

Love to see it installed with the woofer and how does it sound ?? Great work hope to install a sub in my car before summer .
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Odurandina, do you have pics of your enclosure? I was thinking of something very similar in terms of it extending into the quarter panel cubby.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odurandina
... subwoofer cabs really benefit by having unusual shapes, as the backwaves are more efficiently cancelled.
That's actually a myth with subs, as the wavelengths involved make standing waves in a sub cabinet impossible. The frequencies subs play at, have a standing wave of about 20-30 ft, so cabinet cannot generate standing waves. The theory is valid at high midrange frequencies, due to wave lengths being much shorter and so back waves can effect the speaker, but not for a sub. The shape of a sub box is irrelevant. It just needs to be solid to avoid panel resonance and sealed properly(and of correct volume for sub).

Anyway got some more work done today, and took some more pics. Also started on the centre trim panel and spacer for sub box.

heres another test fit to see how it looks in car

Trim panel and spacer both get a layer of CF

Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Cyberpunky,

i can't argue with that.

Originally Posted by autokurl
Odurandina, do you have pics of your enclosure? I was thinking of something very similar in terms of it extending into the quarter panel cubby.

yes, you can see about my sub in the first 2 pages of my att ***** car thread.

not to take anything away from Punky's great work; here's the link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ml#post7545052

Quick Reply: My carbon fibre sub enclosure