Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head rebuild + oil cooler Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head rebuild + oil cooler Q's

I am in the middle of a HG job on my 84 944, and am sending the head out either tomorow or wednesday. While getting the old gaskets off the cam and head and cleaning whatever I could I received my oil cooler seals. I got under the car and started to remove the housing. I got 3 13mm btw off, the oprv wires off, the bolt with the spring behind it off, and a 17mm bolt on the side of the oprv off. I canny get oprv off! I don't see the 15/16" or 24mm bolt clarks says needs be be taken off to get the oprv off. How many bolts hold the housing on? Where is the 24mm bolt at?

The head. Getting low on cash after this HG job after buying the HG kit, OC seals and alignment tool, and plenty of new hardware and tools for these jobs. When I take the head in, what should I ask for. I have a used head and my head from my car, and stem seals from the HG kit. Can I mix and match parts from the used head (86- one I wanna use, 90K) and my head (83- possibly cracked, 194K). The 86 does have 1 bent valve, can I use a valve, springs, etc. from the 83? What should I expect to pay? Anythings else I should know?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

you have the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure relief valve confused.
the oil pressure sender had the wires attached to it; the 15/16 or 24mm is on the body of the sender itself, on the engine side of the unit.

the 'bolt with the spring behind it' is the oil pressure relief valve; be careful with this as they are big bucks to replace.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I didn't have all the bolts out, stupid mistake. I went out today and wiped a lot of oil and crux away and I saw it on he bottom rigt of he cooler. Came out kinda hard withthe headers still in, but did come out (pry headers backwards toward rear and rear moved t-belt cover forward out of the way.
When I was putting in the cooler, housing and new seals, it seems that the cooler/ housing does not sit flush. Is this normal? I don't wanna shove the housing in on the block and have something break. It's hanging out maybe half an inch at the bottom, but haven't got the bottom 2 bolts in, wanted to ask before I did too much. Put bolts in just so they catch, align, then tighten them all down?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

make sure nothing is obstructing the cover from going down. the oil cooler may have a sticking o-ring or something. also, do not tighten the bolts down until you have the oil pressure alignment tool in place. once everything is lined up, bolt it down and then you can put the oprv in

Quick Reply: Head rebuild + oil cooler Q's