Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xsboost turbo part out- more listed and updated 3/25

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it is so sad to see it come apart. One of my favorites! have any pics of the hole in the block?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprised that 968RS rear wing is not sold yet
Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do some SERIOUS research into the race specs.

This seems criminal to part such a nice car for something a trivial as a bad block.

Especially when you can probably find a total better 924/944 that fits the race specs.

You will essentially have to change 90% of the car and then only to *maybe* be allowed to race it. Also hope that you never win a race. Seems like an instant reason for protest.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well its not that i couldnt fix the car or sell it as is- its more about money and reality. My first impluse was to put another stock block in and done. Then i thought well if i am building it to keep it she will need a 2.7 or bigger w/ lots of money invested. Truth is right now i cant spend any money on the car as im trying to get my house ready to sell and i have a newborn, another race car etc...i just cant. Selling the car w/ the blown motor would net me about 7-8k which is alot for a non running car but still just the parts ive listed are beyond $10k and i had the car sold for 12k before this! Selling these parts still leaves me w/ a car w/ race seats, front suspension coilovers, rear suspension minus the torsions, a known straight body in good shape w/ plenty left. Then i spend a couple grand on stock n/a stuff and race stuff and enjoy my same car racing. I guess i could sell the car at a massive loss for 7k and buy a finished race car for 7k, then fix all the stuff i dont like about it w/ the money i dont have and have nothing left- or do this, have the car i want and five/six grand left afterwards...hmm. Ive thought about it- i dont like it but its not like this car is actually the best car out there- its got bumps and bruises from the track- it has a blown motor- i actually have an 88 2.5 n/a high compression motor lined up for the car already- i had a ton of more money i could like to drop into this car but for what? I dont drive it on the street- its too stiff. I cant drive it on the track but two/three times a year and its not a race car because it needs lots more to be one. Then if i leave all the mods on the car and turn it to a race car its not competitive because i have koni's instead of Ledas, MO30 bars instead of weltmeisters, no new hoosiers, etc etc...its not worth bending over backwards to make this car compete in a class i cant afford to enter it in. However the spec class is much more affordable, fun and easier to compete. I paid $5500 for this car in 06 and it was not great. Everything great about it was in the parts i added. Swapping parts just makes it great for different reasons. And it makes a great story some day.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
well its not that i couldnt fix the car or sell it as is- its more about money and reality. My first impluse was to put another stock block in and done. Then i thought well if i am building it to keep it she will need a 2.7 or bigger w/ lots of money invested. Truth is right now i cant spend any money on the car as im trying to get my house ready to sell and i have a newborn, another race car etc...i just cant. Selling the car w/ the blown motor would net me about 7-8k which is alot for a non running car but still just the parts ive listed are beyond $10k and i had the car sold for 12k before this! Selling these parts still leaves me w/ a car w/ race seats, front suspension coilovers, rear suspension minus the torsions, a known straight body in good shape w/ plenty left. Then i spend a couple grand on stock n/a stuff and race stuff and enjoy my same car racing. I guess i could sell the car at a massive loss for 7k and buy a finished race car for 7k, then fix all the stuff i dont like about it w/ the money i dont have and have nothing left- or do this, have the car i want and five/six grand left afterwards...hmm. Ive thought about it- i dont like it but its not like this car is actually the best car out there- its got bumps and bruises from the track- it has a blown motor- i actually have an 88 2.5 n/a high compression motor lined up for the car already- i had a ton of more money i could like to drop into this car but for what? I dont drive it on the street- its too stiff. I cant drive it on the track but two/three times a year and its not a race car because it needs lots more to be one. Then if i leave all the mods on the car and turn it to a race car its not competitive because i have koni's instead of Ledas, MO30 bars instead of weltmeisters, no new hoosiers, etc etc...its not worth bending over backwards to make this car compete in a class i cant afford to enter it in. However the spec class is much more affordable, fun and easier to compete. I paid $5500 for this car in 06 and it was not great. Everything great about it was in the parts i added. Swapping parts just makes it great for different reasons. And it makes a great story some day.
I agree with your point.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

The only problem I see with the whole thing is that spec class is SPEC!!!! And no matter what you do to a 951 it technically is NOT spec for that class racing.

All it takes is one guy to protest you and all that hard work goes out the window.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiosity, are those front brake calipers 86' non abs?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

front calipers are 86 and were not hooked up to abs factory although they are technically same as 87 w/ abs....

So cole what you are telling me is that when those two tubs- my turbo next to an 86 n/a came down the assembly line w/ no vin tag and were identical, the minute they stamped that number into the tub my car was not ok for spec racing? Because besides that they are identical. If i were to cut the vin tags off and weld in n/a tags then somehow it would be spec? or no i guess it would still not be spec since it has the stink of turbo on it.... if i were to turbo an n/a i bet i could do supercup.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I answered this in detail in the racing forum, but we do not allow turbo tubs. We cannot validate zero difference and because we can Id the tube we by VIN we do not allow it.

Sorry. Look and na tub is probably only going to cost 300 bare anyway.

And for 7 to 8k you can get a complete logbook 944spec.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
So cole what you are telling me is that when those two tubs- my turbo next to an 86 n/a came down the assembly line w/ no vin tag and were identical, the minute they stamped that number into the tub my car was not ok for spec racing? Because besides that they are identical. If i were to cut the vin tags off and weld in n/a tags then somehow it would be spec? or no i guess it would still not be spec since it has the stink of turbo on it.... if i were to turbo an n/a i bet i could do supercup.
Sounds like you have never spec raced. The car is the cheap part. And the sanctioning body and your competitors are VERY critical about following SPEC!

Originally Posted by M758
I answered this in detail in the racing forum, but we do not allow turbo tubs. We cannot validate zero difference and because we can Id the tube we by VIN we do not allow it.

Sorry. Look and na tub is probably only going to cost 300 bare anyway.

And for 7 to 8k you can get a complete logbook 944spec.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Price adjust on Vitesse MAF w/ chip - i was thinking of turbo kit pricing not MAF kit pricing geez. Adjusted to $800 obo.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Is the fuel pressure gauge with extension for sale?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

nope- alot of the other stuff is going on my next build.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
carlege
Drifting

This was an 86 engine with forged rods? Sorry to hear about the car.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
67King
Race Car

I don't know about 944 spec, but I believe it is very similar to PCA's SP2 class, is it not? Just using that as a benchmark, here are the rules around that:

"Updating or backdating is allowed provided the converted vehicle meets all specifications of vehicle to which it is converted, i.e. it is a duplicate in all regards. Such vehicles must have a log book with all technical data that references the car to the class in which it is running. The body and chassis must match the year and model for the vehicle to which it is converted; updates and backdates are only permitted across model years sharing the same basic underlying unibody."

If spec is anything like SP2, I don't see a problem - to my knowledge anyway, the only thing on the shell that was ever different was teh extra reinforcement added to the Turbo S in 88 (that carried into the 89 turbo cars). I've also never seen anyone check a VIN during an event. I'll be assisting the scruts at the upcoming PCA race in late March, which will give me a better idea.

If the spec series sponsors want to check VINs and discount you for that, SP2 is a good option, as is the 944 Cup series.

Quick Reply: Xsboost turbo part out- more listed and updated 3/25