Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

likely dropping the hammer on a 951...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
FWIW, I have removed and reinstalled almost every single part under both my 944s... using nothing more than jack-stands (engine hoist and floor jack included) but have never worked on either using a lift!

this includes but is not limited to:
Clutch
Engine removal
trans-axle removal
trans mount removal and installation
suspension on both cars
bushings
steering rack on both cars
torque tube removal
fuel tank removal

Jack stand might not be the most comfortable way to work on them, but there is nothing you cant do on jack-stands!

Havaing mechanical skils, some tools, and enough sense to ask someone who has been there and done that is more than enough equipment to get through teh most daunting tasks on these cars... they are after all just cars, not magical flying machines!
They dont fly?? Fak!

Impressive list of DIY! And I know the feeling of doing it yourself...and knowing it is done right....(as well as done wrong and doing it over again ha)

I have not bought the car yet...the owner is out of town for a couple weeks giving me time to further research and gather more questions (as well as hanging around here).
Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you familiar with turbos? I'm not, which is why I stayed away from them. It would be fun to have one and the guys that do seem to really enjoy them. But I just looked at is as another thing to go wrong on an already old car.

When I got my '83 there were no service records for it. But the PO showed me all the work he did on the car. He also had an old Smokey and the Bandit T-bird that he restored and a 928 that he was also working on. After I drove the car, it drove a hell of a lot better than any of the others I looked at. I felt pretty confident in buying it. I've only had it a few months, but no major issues yet.

I found out that people on craigslist are dumb (I'd never bought anything off of there before). When I would ask what work they have done on the car the typical answer I would get was "Well I did all the oil changes myself, and I replaced the alternator last year". I didn't even bother to go look at those cars.

My mechanical skills are adequate but I'm definitely no mechanic. I haven't had any issues with the work I've had to do. I guess the one saving grace is that it's 25 year old technology so it's not super complicated by today's standards.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll chime in....I will never buy a 951, ever. That is all...

Save your money and get one that's maintained w/ records...that is also in good cosmetic shape. Otherwise you will soon have a $15,000 car with dents and bad paint...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Other than a A4 1.8 I have no experiance with them. I understand how they work...but not much practical experiance. I am not scared of them...and respect some of the cost associated.

BlackOP why would you not buy one just the cost of fixing them vs a NA car?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I want to also pitch in with some quick words. There are some people, like me, who really enjoy doing the hands-on work, although it can become time-consuming and tedious. This work is satisfying and self-fulfilling, it builds confidence and self-esteem, it is like a puzzle for the brain and hands. There are also people who don't like doing the work so much, but enjoy the oh-so-great times between the labor -- the feet on the pedals and the hands on the shifter and steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This doesn't sound too bad to me. The clutch is a major cost on these cars (because they're buried so deeply) and if the nose panel gaps and rocker panels are good, I would strongly consider it in that price range. We tend to see about a $3k premium on 951s up here because there aren't nearly as many as there are in the US.

There are a few Rennlist users in your area (many of whom have 951s -- check out the Rennlist Canada subforum if you haven't already) and if you can come to Kingston, Markus Blaszak (Canada's Mr. 944) can certainly see that it's done right. He's been slowly and patiently teaching me to work on mine, and there are cars at his place from all over the country.

If you pick it up, I would also grab a PCA membership (either with my region, Upper Canada, or the Rennsport region which is closer to you) and book a spot in their IDS if you don't have any prior track experience. There are other (some will argue better) ways in to track driving, but our PCA regions split events between some of the best tracks in North America, and we rarely have to fight the crowds for them that Southerners do!

PM me if you have any questions. I also have a good rear spoiler for you.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hollywood D
Are you familiar with turbos? I'm not, which is why I stayed away from them. It would be fun to have one and the guys that do seem to really enjoy them. But I just looked at is as another thing to go wrong on an already old car.

When I got my '83 there were no service records for it. But the PO showed me all the work he did on the car. He also had an old Smokey and the Bandit T-bird that he restored and a 928 that he was also working on. After I drove the car, it drove a hell of a lot better than any of the others I looked at. I felt pretty confident in buying it. I've only had it a few months, but no major issues yet.

I found out that people on craigslist are dumb (I'd never bought anything off of there before). When I would ask what work they have done on the car the typical answer I would get was "Well I did all the oil changes myself, and I replaced the alternator last year". I didn't even bother to go look at those cars.

My mechanical skills are adequate but I'm definitely no mechanic. I haven't had any issues with the work I've had to do. I guess the one saving grace is that it's 25 year old technology so it's not super complicated by today's standards.
As with anything on these cars, the turbo will last as long as it is maintained, it really isn't any more or less prone to failure than anything else.. I have both, bought the NA first, got used to it, and got the turbo knowing what I was getting into.. looking back, I wouldn't have done it any different...

Originally Posted by blackop
I'll chime in....I will never buy a 951, ever. That is all...

Save your money and get one that's maintained w/ records...that is also in good cosmetic shape. Otherwise you will soon have a $15,000 car with dents and bad paint...
I disagree... by the time I hit $15K on the turbo I paid $3200 for, it will pull the hell out of a modern Corvette... for a portion of the price... and IMHO will look beter too! But then I do everything myself.. including body work...

Originally Posted by plumbum
Other than a A4 1.8 I have no experiance with them. I understand how they work...but not much practical experiance. I am not scared of them...and respect some of the cost associated.

Originally Posted by bonus12
I want to also pitch in with some quick words. There are some people, like me, who really enjoy doing the hands-on work, although it can become time-consuming and tedious. This work is satisfying and self-fulfilling, it builds confidence and self-esteem, it is like a puzzle for the brain and hands. There are also people who don't like doing the work so much, but enjoy the oh-so-great times between the labor -- the feet on the pedals and the hands on the shifter and steering wheel.

Originally Posted by pontifex4
This doesn't sound too bad to me. The clutch is a major cost on these cars (because they're buried so deeply) and if the nose panel gaps and rocker panels are good, I would strongly consider it in that price range. We tend to see about a $3k premium on 951s up here because there aren't nearly as many as there are in the US.

There are a few Rennlist users in your area (many of whom have 951s -- check out the Rennlist Canada subforum if you haven't already) and if you can come to Kingston, Markus Blaszak (Canada's Mr. 944) can certainly see that it's done right. He's been slowly and patiently teaching me to work on mine, and there are cars at his place from all over the country.

If you pick it up, I would also grab a PCA membership (either with my region, Upper Canada, or the Rennsport region which is closer to you) and book a spot in their IDS if you don't have any prior track experience. There are other (some will argue better) ways in to track driving, but our PCA regions split events between some of the best tracks in North America, and we rarely have to fight the crowds for them that Southerners do!

PM me if you have any questions. I also have a good rear spoiler for you.
Excelent advice.. any potential 951 buyer would do well to heed it!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
DHC6
Racer

Can't add to much from what is already said, other then be careful, it's a disease... an addiction harder to brake then crack... LOL owning these cars. For many of us it's childhood dreams coming true, owning a Porsche. So if you are like many of us on here, it will become a life long passion, owning any Porsche really.

I can't think of any good 944 mechanics in Ottawa, but there are two very good ones here in Montreal, actually one is in Vaudreuil (if you don't know Montreal) which is on the western side, so a little closer. As I stated, can't add much to what has already been said, other then the 951's are more complicated then your other choice, 911SC, and a very different car. If I may throw a wrench into your plan, how about an S or even an S2. The S2's are great cars (I got one and love it) and are a little less complicated and also a little easier to work on yourself. One thing is certain, if Porsche is a passion, your won't be disappointed with either model you chose, just take into account everything that has been said and you will be fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

They dont fly?? Fak!
Well...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
BryO
Instructor

Default Re

As a fairly new 951 and NA owner, I love the Turbo, so listen to the good advise that comes from these guys.

I have always worked on my own cars, so this was really not big deal for me owning these 2 cars. Get the engine checkout most of all, the other stuff in minor compared to replacing a head

Belts, rollers, water pump and Tension er will save you a HUGE headache, trust me.. I am still sitting down easy.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

I've almost bought one a couple of times...it just seems, after reading 3 1/2 years on this forum, that these cars can be a nightmare. It's 25 years old, as expensive as other Porsches to repair and has turbo lag. I mentioned getting one in good condition cosmetically as after all the work/money you will put into it..it will bother you. It's addicting. I would rather have a S2 or 968. Unless you really want to mod the crap out of it...

This is just my opinion....obviously others have a conflicting viewpoint. If you like wrenching, spending $$$ and solving problems, the 951 seems like a dream car.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

pontifex4 I will def be sending you a message if I get it!! I also want to hook up with some local owners! I dont know if I would track it or not...I have many thousands of km at Mosport, Shannonville and Mt Tramblant (on two wheels). But would not rule it out.

Like many of you have touched on it is something I have wanted as long as I can remember...to own drive and wrench a Porsche. Heck just searching for one is addictive!.

DHC6 I have looked at a few S2's but they are hard to come by...and normally over my price range...except the cabrio...which I am not interested in.

My search is not over...I have a couple weeks to decide..and further inform myself...and keep looking...I know more will become available in the spring but if possable I would already want to be driving my P car
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
racer
Drifting

imho, it seems to me that most SC's are $20K cars.. whether you buy low and make it a project or buy high with less to repairt, it seems about $20k.

944s I think, are closer to $10K cars.. Spend it up front or spend it repairing/upgrading things.

Have you checked out www.clarks-garage.com yet? it is a great resource...especially the "purchasing a 944" section.

Take your time. Personally, while I like the HP of the Turbo, I prefer the simplicity of a non-turbod car. As others have said, get someone who knows these cars to look at them. Be sure to try everything.. sunroof, windows.. anything electrical. If you've been hanging out here, it seems anything that could go wrong with a 944 has... so answers and fixes aren't far away should you proceed.

Have fun with the search!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

plumbum__Maybe you should take a step back & broaden your search area ,let say in a 200 miles radius.Exemple don't know if you've seen this one ___89-none modified clean & well kept 951,located in Montreal.It's a Canadian car not an imported one,been store every winter ,maintenance records available.Maybe a higher mileage than the 86 your looking at but it's also three younger.Asking price is $9,000K nego,since we have some Rennlister in the area it migth be possible for one of them to go take a look.If you did ever go for it I could arrange for you to bring it to somebody who knows Porsche 951 like the back of it's hand & will do & no nonsense no bullS PPI & tell you exactly if the car is worth buying or not & what your getting into.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

I have normally searched Kijiji, auto trader and Ebay...Is that your car for sale? It does have quite a bit more milage however on a car 20+ years old maintance means more than km.

My search isnt over until a car is parked in the garage haha. Thanks for the heads up...will send a message to the owner for more information!

Quick Reply: likely dropping the hammer on a 951...few questions