Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

likely dropping the hammer on a 951...few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by plumbum
I am on a bit of a buget (due to my other passion of motorcycles)
Love my bikes!!

Welcome!

You will be fine. Buy the car and enjoy. What most people are failing to mention here is that most of these cars are running around with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Look for the mileage threads and you will find cars with 300k+ on them. They don't get that way if they are not reliable most of the time.

Take care of it and it will treat you well.

Some things on the car are expensive. Those that think they are as expensive as newer more expensive Porsches obviously have not owned newer more expensive Porsches. .

Own a B5 S4 Audi for a few years and you will love how cheap and easy to maintain a 951 is......
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I have normally searched Kijiji, auto trader and Ebay...Is that your car for sale? It does have quite a bit more milage however on a car 20+ years old maintance means more than km.

My search isnt over until a car is parked in the garage haha. Thanks for the heads up...will send a message to the owner for more information!
No it's not my car,ex car was a 83-944 owne it for 26 years -present car is a low mileages 93-968 has seen in my avatar,was trying to help you find the rigth one & your rigth more mileage sometime don't mean much if the car was well maintain and by reading the add (hope you do read French) this guy seem to be pretty straith saying his car is not a pile of chunk but a pampered one.None modified 951 are somewhat rare to come by & this is what caugth my attention in the first place. Also the reason for selling it, his buying a 94-911. The 89- & thereafter 951 is the same car that Porsche introduce in mid 88 has the turbo S which make it a little more desirable then the early turbo.You know I've been following the 944's Canadian market now for at least 3 years & seen lot of bull from sellers trying to pass their money pit to someone else, but something tell me this one migth be the one.I search four months for my 968 ,finally found it burried under a tarp in a garage, all that searching & waiting paid off. Even though I wanted it in my driveway rigth away and got all exited over it I hold back & got a PPI from a trustworty mechanic & this also did paid off.Hope you do the same.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
I've almost bought one a couple of times...it just seems, after reading 3 1/2 years on this forum, that these cars can be a nightmare. It's 25 years old, as expensive as other Porsches to repair and has turbo lag. I mentioned getting one in good condition cosmetically as after all the work/money you will put into it..it will bother you. It's addicting. I would rather have a S2 or 968. Unless you really want to mod the crap out of it...

This is just my opinion....obviously others have a conflicting viewpoint. If you like wrenching, spending $$$ and solving problems, the 951 seems like a dream car.

not just good. incredibly good post. in all fairness, a ride in a 944 Turbo in 1987 got me addicted to Porsche.
guys have these cars tuned past 400 hp. that's a bit like being married to Jenna Haze or insert your favorite **** star.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Anthony Hutt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience the cost of maintaining my 951 averages out to about us$3000 per year over ten years when done by a garage.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Keep in mind that people come to forums to talk about issues and mods. Nobody comes on line to talk about how reliable their car is.

They mod it until its broken then blame the car.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking for a few years for a good 911SC I have decided that I would get more bang for my doller with a 944 or 951 as they are normally in much better shape and less expensive to maintain. This will be my first Porsche.
Lots of info you can get from guys on here...

Originally Posted by odurandina
i mean you no harm or disrespect, but i want you to offer me a taste from that fatt wadd of purple kush you're smoking.
Try being nicer next time to people.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm always nice, usually.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mhr
If you are wanting to learn and work on the car yourself DO IT. I got my S2 having never worked on a car before but with the intention of doing whatever I could myself. Yes I have spent many hours and quite a few dollars bloody hands etc. but I am having a great time at it. Finishing a DIY repair and then hopping in the car and enjoying the fruits of you labor is very rewarding.
A....F&*&$N...MEN Brother!

Just know what you're getting into - this car will have you beating your head against the concrete (while some fluid you can't trace drips on it from behind) more than once. BUT, if you know what you're getting into beforehand - it's a blast.

I bought a well sorted 951 three years ago - my first foray into 'boosting' led me to the Lindsey boost kit and I promptly overboosted the car (didn't install a wideband or aftermarket boost gauge and was running 89 gas instead of 93) and blew the headgasket. My bad - lesson learned.

Since then, the car has run like a top - and I don't drive it much...but when I do, I drive the living **** out of it - and it loves it.

Not that I'm looking for it - certainly not why I bought the car - but I get more attention with the 951 than I would with anything 2011 that had a Porsche badge on it - especially from guys my age (40) who fell in love with this car just like I did when they were 17-18 years old.

I bought my car with literally NO experience under the hood...of any car. I had an 78 GMC truck in high school that my Dad and I changed the oil on and I did the same on a 1983 Honda I drove in college a few times - but that was it. I've done damn near everything on this car since I've had it - including a Vitesse MAF/Piggyback install and a recent turbo swap.

As MHR said - nothing more satisfying and rewarding than wrenching for a day and then firing it up and enjoying the fruits of your labor...and knowing that you learned something and saved yourself hundreds of dollars at the local Porsche shop.

I love this car - can't imagine ever getting rid of it. My 8 year old asked me earlier this week when we were out working on it (another reason I love it so much...my sons are now into cars and LOVE hanging in the garage with me),

"Dad, how old do I have to be for you to give me this car?"

Get one - just do your homework and make sure you have a lot of 10, 11, 13mm sockets, wrenches, extensions and what not's in your toolbox.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

$7000 seems like a pretty good price, Earnie's find looks good too.
For an everyday motor-head, the 951 is very good bang for buck - the best I've found. C'mon in the water is fine....Bruce
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an update on my search...I sent the owner an offer and am waiting for a reply (he is on vacation).

Having read a lot about the 944/951 series I think this is a great car to start my Porsche experiance. Having previously been looking for a 911 SC I think the 944 seems much less expensive to own and opperate. I do appreciate things can get expensive but when I do get my ride this forum is a great place to get help and share experiances.

Hope to hear back from the owner soon and in the meantime I am continuing my search and learning more along the way.

Very excited to get my first Porsche..may be a N/A or a turbo, I apreciate them both for there differences.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:53 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well to add my 2 cents, if it's not a daily driver, you'll be fine. I'd hold off on the dash thing, till you've had the car for a little bit.
They are very cool car but they can try be very trying at times. Other than that the good and the bad, is what they are but hey they are cool!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Cole
Drifting

I know several people in our local PCA that daily drive 951s with little to no issues.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I know several people in our local PCA that daily drive 951s with little to no issues.
That is my plan also...Enjoy it as much as I can during the 3 seasons I can..Just trying to enjoy this summer
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I DD'd my 951 for a year or so and loved it.

Now I hate that I dont drive it enough.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear!

Quick Reply: likely dropping the hammer on a 951...few questions