Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheaper E Code lenses

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go up to the 90/100's... But I recommend trying the PIAA Intense White bulbs first in the 55/60's and see what you think. From my research they are about the best/brightest out there with no blue in that wattage. It's what I am going to use, and have them sitting here waiting for installation (Amazon.com is the cheapest I found)
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

That is term misuse by that ad. Those are parking/position lights not city lights.

I bought similar lights for similar price from ebay. And they went to trash bin upon arival. I saved bulbs and cables though

Originally Posted by fittrjoe
i did the e- code lense h-4 upgrade with new harness to my s2 and although happy with end result have a quick question: what wattage h-4s are you guys running? my kit came with hella h-4 60/55 watt bulbs . how much higher can i go and is there much difference ? was thinking maybe the kit came with " conservative " bulbs.
if you add two relays you can safely run 100w H4. There is a big difference, but 100w H4 are forbidden here and possibly elsewhere.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Originally Posted by robstah
City lights use a smaller bulb mounted inside the housing that lights up the housing but does not provide light output. It's a way of making sure others will notice you. DRL (daytime running lights) have the same concept, but normally use the high beams at a lower percentage.

What do you guys think of the projector based headlights out there? You would think with proper bulbs and proper aiming, that would be the best for the pop up headlights on our cars.
City Lights give the "Angel Eyes" effect to a non HID headlamp...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the 911 I went from H5 to H4 and the change was night and day. I got relays and bulbs to run 80/100watt but didn't install the bulbs. Just getting the H4's at 55watts was such a huge improvement.

"City Lights" comes from Paris, or the "City of Lights" where cars don't use there headlights at night within the city so as not to distract from the ambiance of the city (or so I was told). It's basically a 5watt bulb wired to be on when the key is on. This is also a very common thing in some South American cities where traffic is very dense and city streets are well lit. It's also very common at our outdoor malls her in SoCal ....any way.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

It might have been that way in paris years ago, but I just came from France today and they have to have main lights on as mandated.

Not angel lights either. If you turn signal blinker on while everything else is off only left or right side of position bulbs can be lit. That is for the case when car is parked on the road side at night and one part of car is still on the road.

They are called position lights and are meant for drivers to see early if you parked on the road at night. (That could be french invention too :> )
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
It might have been that way in paris years ago, but I just came from France today and they have to have main lights on as mandated.

Not angel lights either. If you turn signal blinker on while everything else is off only left or right side of position bulbs can be lit. That is for the case when car is parked on the road side at night and one part of car is still on the road.

They are called position lights and are meant for drivers to see early if you parked on the road at night. (That could be french invention too :> )

Got it. The funny and frustrating thing about these cars is that position light. If your blinker is on when you shut off the ignition the light on that side just stays lit. I've come back to the car numerous times when parallel parked at the beach to find the curbside corner lights on.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"City Lights" comes from Paris, or the "City of Lights" where cars don't use there headlights at night within the city so as not to distract from the ambiance of the city (or so I was told). It's basically a 5watt bulb wired to be on when the key is on. This is also a very common thing in some South American cities where traffic is very dense and city streets are well lit. It's also very common at our outdoor malls her in SoCal ....any way.
There is still not such a term in european countries as "City Lights". It is parking lights since these lights are usually used when you park your car to a place where it might cause problems. Even 944 owners manual list these lights as parking light. You can also read term "Parking light" from your dash. It's between "Park Brake" and "Engine Oil".
New style "day time Running Lights" will be mandatory on every new car from 2012 in all EU countries. Today most german made cars have a special parking light feature. When you car is not running and you move turnsignal lever either right or left it will light that sides parking lights only to where lever is pointing.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Got it. The funny and frustrating thing about these cars is that position light. If your blinker is on when you shut off the ignition the light on that side just stays lit. I've come back to the car numerous times when parallel parked at the beach to find the curbside corner lights on.
I find them useful sometimes.. (when I park like an idiot)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
AScholtes
Pro

City lights is the term being referred to a bulb that is inside the actual headlight, not the parking lights. It is usually blue in color and gives the "Angel Eyes" effect to non HID lights. Maning it lights up the outside edge of the light in a blue hue....
Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Also, for anyone considering these... i thought I would try a set, well..... mistake. Installed PIAA Intense White bulbs (55/60w) and the lenses lasted all of about 15 minutes before they both cracked (only on long enough to test high/low beans and horizontally align them, maybe 4 minutes tops)...good thing I wanted to just test them out to see how they performed... remember, you get what you pay for, good thing I have a set of Bosch lenses ready to go on instead

Last edited by AScholtes; 03-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheaper E Code lenses